Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > 20th Anniversary Mac Display Problem

20th Anniversary Mac Display Problem
mjpaci
Forum Regular
May 10, 2000, 01:31 PM

Has anyone ever seen a display problem like this:

or this:

Once it starts in PowerPoint, it will randomly pop up in Finder windows and other applications' windows. I must reboot my machine before I return to any sense of normalcy.

It appears that the problem starts in PowerPoint. This has been going on for a while with OS 8.1 through 9.0.4. I would love to blame Microsoft outright, but this could be a bug in the ROM of either the machine itself or the display circuits.

--Mike Paci

toh
May 12, 2000, 02:30 PM

A software problem seems more likely, though it sounds like you've had the problem as long as you've had the TAM. I assume at least one of those OS upgrades was a clean install.

The only hardware fault I can imagine causing that sort of problem is the built-in video tuner. It does display in that sort of constrained-to-a-window (though it's usually colour-keyed), and if it were flakey it might conceivably do something like what you're seeing. While messing around with different ATI and TV/video drivers on a TAM, I have managed to get video to pop up spontaneously in windows with the right colour background.
You've obviously not getting video (it wouldn't appear in a screenshot anyway), but something is trashing video RAM inside a particular window. You might be able to test this by disabling the Video Startup extension (plus all of the ATI extensions if you like). Alternately you could pull the tuner card out, but that's a reasonably expert operation.

Kevin B
May 12, 2000, 06:50 PM

I had the same problem on my iMac/233. It turned out to be the combination of low memory and Kaleidoscope. You're probably starting to get it in Power Point because of it's more than liberal use of memory. Good Luck!

Forum Links
Forum Rules