Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Unreliability of Adobe Reader Plugin In Safari

Unreliability of Adobe Reader Plugin In Safari
Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2009, 11:12 AM

It seems like I really can't rely on the Adobe Reader Plugin to work properly in Safari. I usually get an indefinite wait cursor on the page and then a dialog box saying that the plugin cannot be located. Then, if I open Reader and search around for five minutes I eventually find the hidden option to fix the plugin, but half the time that doesn't even work because it tells me it is properly installed. It was a lot better when SchubertIT provided their PDF Browser Plugin, which used to work very reliably, but that isn't updated anymore. Multiply this frustration by multiple accounts, some of which work and others that don't and it gets to be very irksome. I guess part of the issue is probably that one has to try to find updates to Reader so that the plugin is compatible with Safari updates, but keeping track of the two moving targets is a difficult thing to accomplish. Frustrating. I wish Apple would just make a Preview Plugin instead.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 15, 2009, 04:05 PM

If this is a big enough annoyance to switch browers, you can use PDFKit to render PDFs in Firefox

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I wish Apple would just make a Preview Plugin instead.
Safari uses the same frameworks as Preview to display PDFs.
Vandelay Industries

Art Vandelay
Professional Poster
Feb 15, 2009, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
If this is a big enough annoyance to switch browers, you can use PDFKit to render PDFs in Firefox
Safari uses PDFKit to display PDFs. No need to switch browsers just to have that capability.
Vandelay Industries

Cold Warrior
Feb 15, 2009, 04:14 PM

I always choose not to install the Adobe Reader plugin. Like others have said, Safari will still display them using OS X's built-in capability.

For Firefox, I just change the action to Use Adobe Reader, that way it downloads the PDF and opens it in stand-alone Adobe Reader.

Big Mac  (op)
Clinically Insane
Feb 15, 2009, 05:22 PM

Firefox is my main browser, but I still use Safari from time to time and so do my other users. How do I enable PDFKit in Safari? Should I just remove the Reader plugin?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

davecom
Mac Elite
Feb 15, 2009, 06:01 PM

Yes, just remove the Reader plugin I believe.

Forum Links
Forum Rules