Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Opinions on a bluray drive for my iMac?

Opinions on a bluray drive for my iMac?
Heymbit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: The Greatest Country In History: The United States Of America
Nov 5, 2009, 11:52 PM

Hey guys, I really want a bluray drive for my iMac. I don't want to burn a bluray disk (aka, I'd rather not want to spend extra money on a bluray burner if I don't have to). What I want is simple: An external disc drive that will mount a bluray disc, so I can see it on my Mac's sidebar like I see normal DVDs (when not playing in DVD player). I know that Quicktime X and DVD Player won't play the film, that's what Bootcamp and Parallels are for. I do, however, want to see them mounted on my mac side, and be able to have the Mac notice that: Hey! There's a bluray disk here! (That way, when Quicktime and/or DVD Player, or some new Apple app comes along that can play them, I know I'll have an ok drive for it all).

I've googled it, seen some different places offering different things, but I was hoping someone who had one and was happy with it could tell me. If five people say get this one drive, I know it's more likely to work well for my needs.
An Apple A Day Keeps The Spyware Away

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2009, 12:26 AM

Short answer: Not gonna work. You'll have to boot up in Bootcamp if you want any 'ray functionality at all.

Heymbit  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Location: The Greatest Country In History: The United States Of America
Nov 6, 2009, 09:22 PM

So I can't use MakeMKV or pavtube to see the disc in the external bluray drive and rip it?
An Apple A Day Keeps The Spyware Away

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Nov 6, 2009, 11:38 PM

Never heard of those, but if you want to use it you'll have to use Windows-based software. Bootcamp would be your best bet so you can take advantage of the Mac's full CPU.

Forum Links
Forum Rules