Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Donate some money to help the victims of the South East Asia earthquake

Donate some money to help the victims of the South East Asia earthquake (Page 3)
Joshua
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 04:00 PM

Why don't we move the political mudslinging into the politics lounge, and leave this thread for links to appropriate charitable organizations?
Safe in the womb of an everlasting night
You find the darkness can give the brightest light.

Abu Bakr
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2004, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Joshua:
Why don't we move the political mudslinging into the politics lounge, and leave this thread for links to appropriate charitable organizations?
If Palestinians are expected to negotiate under occupation, then Israel must be expected to negotiate as we resist that occupation.
- Marwan Barghouti -

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Hey, it's ok people, certain countries are ok, and they don't need anymore aid, especially not from them dirty Joooooos.

A 150-member Israeli aid delegation canceled its mission to Sri Lanka on Tuesday, after the country - one of the hardest hit in the Asian tsunami disaster - apparently refused to accept the Israeli team,

Screw them bigots, let 'em rot.

And certain people wonder why I have something against helping out certain people.

Israeli civilian emergency personnel is on the ground already and has been gratefully accepted into the county. There is no anti semitism here, however hard you look for it.

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 29, 2004, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Israeli civilian emergency personnel is on the ground already and has been gratefully accepted into the county. There is no anti semitism here, however hard you look for it.
Yeah, I'm sure 4 doctors will come in real handy for the thousands who need help.

However, a far smaller team, headed by four doctors from Jerusalem's Hadassah University Hospital, landed in Sri Lanka on Monday night. The Israeli team was carrying medicine and baby food.

The doctors - who specialize in rescue operations, trauma and pediatrics � asked Israel to send a larger team, such as the one Sri Lanka rejected.

Hey, if somebody doesn't want help, then I suppose they have the situation under control.

Vi0
Baninated
Dec 29, 2004, 05:37 PM

Where were all you people to give money before this earthquake hit? You all give no money at all to people who are alive and well, but when they are dead and dying, suddenly you have all this money to give. Do you need a sob story before you all will help? Do you actually value these people, or is this just another example of "group behavior" and are you afraid of being called "stingy." What about suffering Americans, barely struggling to get by? What are you doing for them?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 29, 2004, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Vi0:
Where were all you people to give money before this earthquake hit? You all give no money at all to people who are alive and well, but when they are dead and dying, ...
Didn't know you had access to my (and everbody else's) bank account to check whether or not we donate only after disaster hits.

Or are you simply voicing a suspicion that might turn out to be an embarassment to nobody but yourself?

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 05:52 PM

Where were all you people to give money before this earthquake hit? You all give no money at all to people who are alive and well, but when they are dead and dying, suddenly you have all this money to give. Do you need a sob story before you all will help? Do you actually value these people, or is this just another example of "group behavior" and are you afraid of being called "stingy." What about suffering Americans, barely struggling to get by? What are you doing for them?

Piss off. Not that this is any of your business but I have a standing order to Oxfam, giving a set amount every single month. I know that several other people on this board have similar arrangements going.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 29, 2004, 06:11 PM

Who says we never gave money (or time or canned food or clothes, etc)? Giving money now will help save lives, and prevent further death through disease, as well as help to rebuild the massive damage caused.

Why else give to Doctors Without Borders for crying out loud? What does its founder say they need most? "Money. Lot's of money is what we need most!"

(�De l'argent! Beaucoup d'argent, c'est de cela dont nous avons surtout besoin�, a d�clar� hier Bernard Kouchner)

Adopt-A-Yankee

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2004, 06:25 PM

Here are some disturbing numbers that will put into perspective just how little money has been donated by some of the richer nations:

- US Tsunami Relief Pledge - $35 Million
- 2004 Florida Hurricane Relief - $3.17 Billion
- Cost of Bush's 2005 Inauguration - $40 Million+
- US per capita Tsunami Relief Pledge - $35 million/295 million = $0.12
- Australian per capita Relief Pledge - $27.6 million/19 million = $1.45
(all figures in USD, source )

It's clear why Australia is pledging more than the US, having an economy with more links to the region, but 12X more? Not enough economic incentive for the US in this region of the world, perhaps?

And to those Canadians in the audience, our government is even more embrassingly stingy:
Canadian per capita Relief Pledge - $4 million/32 million = $0.10
( Last edited by Phat Bastard; Dec 29, 2004 at 06:32 PM. )
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Dec 29, 2004, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by Phat Bastard:
Here are some disturbing numbers that will put into perspective just how little money has been donated by some of the richer nations:

- US Tsunami Relief Pledge - $35 Million
- 2004 Florida Hurricane Relief - $3.17 Billion
- Cost of Bush's 2005 Inauguration - $40 Million+
- US per capita Tsunami Relief Pledge - $35 million/295 million = $0.12
- Australian per capita Relief Pledge - $27.6 million/19 million = $1.45

It's clear why Australia is pledging more than the US, having an economy with more links to the region, but 12X more? Not enough economic incentive for the US in this region of the world, perhaps?

And to those Canadians in the audience, our government is even moroe embrassingly stingy:
Canadian per capita Relief Pledge - $4 million/32 million = $0.10

(all figures in USD)
I fail to see your point. $35 million is not the total we will be giving. It will end up in the Billions, but it has to be assessed. Will you then adjust your figure per capita? Is it wrong that we [per capita] spent so much on Florida relief?

What about China? Russia? France? Pathetic.

Oh, and where were the world donations to the USA when the Hurricanes bombarded Florida? What did the USA give to the islands that were devasted in these same Hurricanes? Have a look.

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2004, 06:41 PM

$35 million is the total (at this point in time) that the US government is pledging to give. It pales in comparison to the amount, per capita, and again as of this point in time, that the Australian government is pledging. I'm not making any claims about what is pledged in the future.

Where are you getting your figures that the total pledged will end up in the billions? Of course I'll re-adjust it per capita.

As for wrong that so much was spent on Florida relief--I'm just stating the numbers. Of course it's not "wrong" to spend so much in your own country, but I think it's wrong to spend about 90X less to help other countries from a disaster that will claim MANY MANY MANY more lives than the hurricanes in Florida. FYI, those hurricanes killed 124 people (source). The tsunami will kill upwards of 100,000.

As for the China, France, Russia, I don't have their donation figures. I'm holding more countries than just the US culpable here too (see my figures about Canada).
Black iPod nano 4GB

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 29, 2004, 06:41 PM

whoa ... now the real bitchin' may commence.

I guess I may just as well start the countdown to lockination:
  • 5 ...

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 29, 2004, 06:44 PM

think so, huh?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 07:16 PM

This thread sucks. Nice to see so many people so willing to politicize everything.

Vi0
Baninated
Dec 29, 2004, 07:22 PM

Ok, let's hear about all your monetary donations to fellow Americans when it's not a major news story. Let's go.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2004, 07:24 PM

Allow me to be candid here: A lot of people in this thread are acting like fucking children. An awful lot of people are dead. Do you understand this? 70,000+ people are FUCKING DEAD. Untold others have lost everything, including their loved ones. So maybe, just maybe, it's time for those of you that let your ridiculous political obsessions come into play in a thread trying to raise money for people that just had their fucking lives washed away, quite literally, is pure bullshit. Once again, I'll ask the usual suspects to grow up, get over your own bullshit, and take your petty bickering elsewhere. I'm not interested in hearing it. Give money or don't, that's your choice, but don't drag your little kid arguments into this thread. Enough. If I have to lock a thread that Mas and others obviously feel is important and worthwhile because of garbage spilling over from the political forum, I'm not going to be to goddamn happy about it. If anyone that persists in this foolishness, I will pester the hell out of the admins to have you banned from here. Understood?

On topic: My employer is sending a medical team to Indonesia. I've donated to that. One thing to keep in mind, monetary donations are far more helpful than sending supplies, strictly for logistical reasons. Supplies are cumbersome and difficult and expensive to transport. At this stage, cash to buy bottled water is far more practical than trying to ship cases of bottled water (as an example).
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Dec 29, 2004 at 07:31 PM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

Abu Bakr
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 29, 2004, 07:27 PM

Ok, let's hear about all your monetary donations to fellow Americans when it's not a major news story. Let's go.
The best donation is the one done without advertising it.

Shall we get back on topic?
If Palestinians are expected to negotiate under occupation, then Israel must be expected to negotiate as we resist that occupation.
- Marwan Barghouti -

Vi0
Baninated
Dec 29, 2004, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by ThinkInsane:
Allow me to be candid here: A lot of people in this thread are acting like fucking children. An awful lot of people are dead. Do you understand this? 70,000+ people are FUCKING DEAD. Untold others have lost everything, including their loved ones. So maybe, just maybe, it's time for those of you that let your ridiculous political obsessions come into play in a thread trying to raise money for people that just had their fuing lives washed away, quite literally, is pure bullshit. Once again, I'll ask the usual suspects to grow up, get over your own bullshit, and take your petty bickering elsewhere. I'm not interested in hearing it. Give money or don't, that's your choice, but don't drag your little kid arguments into this thread. Enough. If I have to lock a thread that Mas and others obviously feel is important and worthwhile because of garbage spilling over from the political forum, I'm not going to be to goddamn happy about it. If anyone that persists in this foolishness, I will pester the hell out of the admins to have you banned from here. Understood?

On topic: My employer is sending a medical team to Indonesia. I've donated to that. One thing to keep in mind, monetary donations are far more helpful than sending supplies, strictly for logistical reasons. Supplies are cumbersome and difficult and expensive to transport. At this stage, cash to buy bottled water is far more practical than trying to ship cases of bottled water (as an example).
Yeah but I bet their birth rate over there has already replaced those 70,000 dead people. I'd like to know why G.W. Bush will pour 40+ million into helping these non-Americans, when there are starving and poor Americans who can use 40+ million. What a disgraceful excuse for a president. I think a monkey could be a better president.

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2004, 07:33 PM

Yeah but I bet their birth rate over there has already replaced those 70,000 dead people. I'd like to know why G.W. Bush will pour 40+ million into helping these non-Americans, when there are starving and poor Americans who can use 40+ million. What a disgraceful excuse for a president. I think a monkey could be a better president.
When you get banned, don't bother complaining or asking why. You were perfectly capable of starting a thread to discuss that in the political forum.
Nemo me impune lacesset

f1000
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 08:13 PM

Blood donors sought, with Westerners' Rh-, A, B and O groups most wanted
Posted:_12/29

BANGKOK Dec 28 (The Nation) - Princess Maha Chakri Sirinthorn, executive vice president of the Thai Red Cross Society, has sent emails to several embassies seeking blood donations for tsunami victims in the southern provinces.

The Princess has also solicited the cooperation of the Thai hotel associations in urging foreigner guests to donate blood to foreign victims of last Sunday's tsunami disaster. Most of the injured were foreign tourists enjoying holidays in Thailand's beaches.

Meanwhile, foreign tourists in Chiang Mai queued up to donate blood following a call from the local branch of Thai Red Cross Society, said Ornnadda Tantipat, director of the local Red Cross. She explained that there's a shortage of Rh-negative blood, which some 15 percent of Westerners have as against only four in 1,000 Thais. "So far more than 50 Westerners have volunteered to donate blood and we should have several more later today," she said.

The Thai Red Cross Society's disaster service centre has called for donations A, O and Rh-negative blood. It has also asked people to donate blankets, tissue paper, canned food, underwear, sanitary napkins, drinking water, trash bags, and coffins. The society will receive blood donors until 7pm daily and other donations for 24 hours. The Red Cross Society's contact numbers is 02 2513111 ext. 114, 157, 161, 162.

Dr Ratchanee Ocharoen, director of the National Blood Centre, said the centre had to ask for support staff from Chulalongkorn Hospital to help handle blood donations as the centre was unable to cope with the capacity of donations. Yesterday alone the centre received some 4,000 units of blood.

Another official said the centre had delivered 17 units of Rh-negative blood out of the 44 units requested by southern hospitals on Monday and expects to complete the order today. Further requests for blood are likely, though.

Meanwhile, four hundred policemen from the Crime Suppression Division, the Highway Police Division and the Royal Police Cadet Academy volunteered to donate blood at the Royal Thai Police Office yesterday.

Wantanee Wattana, president of the Police Wife Association said there are more than 1000 donators here including policemen, people and foreigners. The blood would be sent to check for Rh-negative which is needed most then delivered to re-check at the Red Cross before being delivered to the Southern Police Hospital.

"The Rh-, A, B and O blood is still needed. We have got mostly Rh-positive here," she said.

http://mathaba.net/x.htm?http://math....shtml?x=90946

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 08:21 PM

Well things are looking better money wise. Canada has upped its pledge to 40 Million. Oxfam Canada has already got 3 Million from Canadians and every agency in Canada is ringing off the hook. Total world contributions is 220 million now.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

me_94501
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 29, 2004, 08:41 PM

My God. Why on earth must something as simple as helping those in dire need be so politicized? Find a charity you trust, donate, and leave the friggin politics out of it. End of story.

What's going on in Asia is horrible and the behaivor of some on this forum is not helping. It is absolutely sickening. Think of what it would be like if you were in Sri Lanka right now and had your entire life swept out to sea before you complain about politics of charity organizations. Put the ****ing politics aside for one day and do something good.

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 08:46 PM

Apparently most people here scored very low on their standardized tests in reading comprehension.
Go back and read the post.

1) The phrase �like some people here� implies I am speaking about individuals here on this forum. Mostly it is meant to speak of iWrite and whomever else had their house in Jersey flooded earlier this year. Both of whom came whining about it to the lounge. They do not deserve aid from the Red Cross nor subsidized insurance from the federal government. If read correctly the statement says something entirely different than some less intelligent people here would make it seem it does.
I understand English may not be everyone�s first language and I commend those of you who do grasp it as well as you do but the little nuances in longer more complicated sentences tend to change the meaning of the statements. It would bode well for you to read those sentences twice if you are confused about the meaning.

2) No, I do not live on the Chicago river. If, again, you had read the statement correctly I believe the words �my work building� or something to that regard was made. Although I spend a great deal of time at work I do not live there. I live about a mile off the lake shore and do not own nor would I own property in that area but that is because of the assessed value of the property not because of the geographical location. But yes, living next to a river when you have a choice and spend more money to do so is stupid, very pretty, but stupid. If you want to extend this statement out to include those who live in Florida in areas that were once swamp that once retained the excess water from floods, hurricanes, and other water related disasters please feel free to do so.

3) The Better Business Bureau monitors American organizations and only does so within the bounds of the complaints and narrow questions that are made about those organizations. As a result they have no oversight on global organizations like the International Red Cross nor do they investigate things that are not reported.
As I said before contributors tend to not scrutinized many philanthropies after they have given their donation. But what I said about the Red Cross is still true. There is more than enough cases listed about them participating in the type of behavior I discussed. If you doubt that then at least google the two cases I used as examples in my post a page back.
No one has challenged this charge successfully or disproven it is validity.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

theolein
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 09:13 PM

This thread is the reason I stay away from the lounge for the most part these days. I am appalled and digusted at the way it seems to have brought the very worst of the scum to the top of the cesspool.

Not much one can do about it except to make a mental note to avoid the lounge like the plague in future, given that the human scum who feel the need to turn every single post into their personal platform of hatred, intolerance and virulent nationalism will carry on posting their garbage whther others read it or not, and I'm not about to waste any more energy on them.

Today I asked a company for whom I recently did a job to donate the money to the Red Cross in lieu of payment. I would think that any normal person who sess the suffering and the horror of people who have lost not only their homes and their livelyhoods but also much of their families would feel some compassion and wish to help if at all possible. Sadly, there seem to be quite a few very disturbed induviduals here.
weird wabbit

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 09:50 PM

Originally posted by theolein:

Not much one can do about it except to make a mental note to avoid the lounge like the plague in future, given that the human scum who feel the need to turn every single post into their personal platform of hatred, intolerance ...... "at this point little violins start to play"

Today I asked a company for whom I recently did a job to donate the money to the Red Cross in lieu of payment. I would think that any normal person who sess the suffering and the horror of people who have lost not only their homes and their livelyhoods but also much of their families would feel some compassion and wish to help if at all possible. Sadly, there seem to be quite a few very disturbed induviduals here.
That post would make Bono choke up.

Personal platforms of self righteousness and moralizing are so much better to read about. Its really what�s been missing from the lounge.

It was such a moral deed to have one�s employers give their salary to charity so that one more person could know about this person's altruistic nature. It would have taken a whole extra five minutes to make the donation by one's self. And to come on here to post about it, that makes everyone think you are a great guy. God, a person who does that sort of thing would jump in after a puppy if it fell into a lake with no regard to their own safety. Giving a donation and talking about how great it was of you over and over and over again tends to intensify the goodness and virtue of the act.

See I agree, donate and be done with it. I see nothing wrong with discussing the merits of the organizations people donate to. If the allegations are proven true then people are better informed and know their money may not go where thwy want it to. If they are proven wrong then the author is shown a little humility. But to ignore it is to be guilty of that same ignorance many �people� like to preach about.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 29, 2004, 10:20 PM

For the last time, this is not the appropriate thread for discussing this. There are a couple of threads in politics to cover these topics. So, I find I'm left with a choice. Next time someone posts something off-topic like their political orientation, their feelings about international aid organizations, or pointing out how much better they are than another member, I can either lock this thread and be done with it, or I can start deleting their asshole posts. TAKE THE FUCKING HINT.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Dec 29, 2004 at 10:39 PM. )
Nemo me impune lacesset

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 29, 2004, 11:07 PM

Originally posted by Athens:
Well things are looking better money wise. Canada has upped its pledge to 40 Million.
That's excellent news!!

I managed to donate to the Canadian Red Cross immediately after the disaster, but I can't even get into their website now to donate again. This is one time I'm happy a website is so busy.
Black iPod nano 4GB

Mastrap  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 11:14 PM

It really is good to see that compassion isn't dead. The Toronto police has set up collection boxes in every station now, so even people who only deal in cash can contribute.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 29, 2004, 11:21 PM

Originally posted by Captain Obvious:
It was such a moral deed to have one�s employers give their salary to charity so that one more person could know about this person's altruistic nature. It would have taken a whole extra five minutes to make the donation by one's self. And to come on here to post about it, that makes everyone think you are a great guy. God, a person who does that sort of thing would jump in after a puppy if it fell into a lake with no regard to their own safety. Giving a donation and talking about how great it was of you over and over and over again tends to intensify the goodness and virtue of the act.
well, whatever the motive for posting that he made a donation (and I doubt there was one), if just one person reads it and thinks - ah, a creative way to donate...if it never made it to my pocket I will never miss it.....then it was worth posting. or perhaps an employer will read it and decide to match any donations made in the same manner. there is nothing wrong with telling us about how you made a donation - it can only help to motivate others.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 29, 2004, 11:52 PM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
well, whatever the motive for posting that he made a donation (and I doubt there was one), if just one person reads it and thinks - ah, a creative way to donate...if it never made it to my pocket I will never miss it.....then it was worth posting. or perhaps an employer will read it and decide to match any donations made in the same manner. there is nothing wrong with telling us about how you made a donation - it can only help to motivate others.

LookSee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2004, 02:12 PM

Originally posted by Athens:
Well things are looking better money wise. Canada has upped its pledge to 40 Million. Oxfam Canada has already got 3 Million from Canadians and every agency in Canada is ringing off the hook. Total world contributions is 220 million now.
That's awesome. I don't know where we're getting all these money, but at least it's going toward a good cause.

Also, BC is donating an additional $8 million, and Ontario is giving $5 million. The Red Cross has so far collected $7.5 million from Canadians.

220 million...the scary thing is that's only a fraction of what they need in the long run. But this is a good start. Good job everyone!

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2004, 02:33 PM

One thing to keep in mind, monetary donations are far more helpful than sending supplies, strictly for logistical reasons. Supplies are cumbersome and difficult and expensive to transport. At this stage, cash to buy bottled water is far more practical than trying to ship cases of bottled water (as an example).
This is wrong TI. There's nowhere in those places left to buy bottled water at. Shipping supplies in is the only option.

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 30, 2004, 02:34 PM

Originally posted by Sherwin:
This is wrong TI. There's nowhere in those places left to buy bottled water at. Shipping supplies in is the only option.
Thinkinsane is correct. Shipping water is expensive, 'cause it's heavy.

It's better to buy with cash from neighboring countries etc.

Somebody was just talking about this on the news last night.

Also, they use water purification systems to make the bad water drinkable.

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Dec 30, 2004, 02:39 PM

Don't they have immense desalinization abilities on most US Naval Ships? Just a thought.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 30, 2004, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by budster101:
Don't they have immense desalinization abilities on most US Naval Ships? Just a thought.
Two or three such US Navy ships (one or two from Guam, read about it yesterday, forgot the details) are on the way already and the German Red Cross sent two mobile purification plants ... and without a doubt, more are on their way sent from other countries/aid organizations.

vmpaul
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2004, 02:49 PM

:update:

I posted the Amazon: Red Cross link less than than 2 days ago. At the time the total was in the $500,000 range. Now thew total is up over $5 MILLION. Pretty cool.

It's amazing to reload that page and see the donation and monetary number go up. Good move on Amazon's part to make donating so easy.
( Last edited by vmpaul; Dec 30, 2004 at 03:41 PM. )

LookSee
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 30, 2004, 03:05 PM

Yea I saw the Amazon page

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2004, 03:07 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Thinkinsane is correct. Shipping water is expensive, 'cause it's heavy.

It's better to buy with cash from neighboring countries etc.

Somebody was just talking about this on the news last night.

Also, they use water purification systems to make the bad water drinkable.
Accepted. However, TI used water only as an example. While neighbouring countries are ok for getting water from, other supplies are best shppied (on account of the fact that most countries in the area won't have enough food supply surplus to cope).

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 30, 2004, 03:07 PM

Not according to everyone they interviewed on Talk of the Nation the other day. They were all adamant that Buying the supplies as close as possible is the most effective and quickest way to get help to the victims. Our local branch of the Red Cross is begging people to stop dropping of supplies and donate money instead, even if that means you donate through another organization. They've even aired radio spots to that effect.
Nemo me impune lacesset

voyageur
Mac Elite
Dec 30, 2004, 04:04 PM

Accepted. However, TI used water only as an example. While neighbouring countries are ok for getting water from, other supplies are best shppied (on account of the fact that most countries in the area won't have enough food supply surplus to cope).
Remember that on the mainland, only a very narrow strip of land along the coast is actually affected. So it is much more cost-effective to go inland a bit to buy food and get uncontaminated water. Several aid groups have made this point,.

However, for the people on smaller islands, like the Maldives, Nicobar and Andamans, it's another story. These people will need supplies flown in.

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 30, 2004, 04:25 PM

another reason they like to buy whatever they can locally is that it really helps the economies of the affected nations, which of course helps in the rebuilding process that comes after the cleanup is done.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

Vi0
Baninated
Dec 30, 2004, 05:50 PM

For the last time, this is not the appropriate thread for discussing this. There are a couple of threads in politics to cover these topics. So, I find I'm left with a choice. Next time someone posts something off-topic like their political orientation, their feelings about international aid organizations, or pointing out how much better they are than another member, I can either lock this thread and be done with it, or I can start deleting their asshole posts. TAKE THE FUCKING HINT.
This person is totally abusive as a moderator. I can't believe MacNN allows such people to have control over their forums. You should not be moderating on this forum...or any other for that matter. I'm filing a formal complaint, and urge others to do the same.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2004, 05:53 PM

This person is totally abusive as a moderator. I can't believe MacNN allows such people to have control over their forums. You should not be moderating on this forum...or any other for that matter. I'm filing a formal complaint, and urge others to do the same.
It would be an entirely different matter if he weren't absolutely correct.

Go ThinkInsane!

P.S.: I'm European, and thus morally degenerated enough to be able to handle the word "F U C K".

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2004, 05:54 PM

Go away. Far away.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

ThinkInsane
Moderator Emeritus
Dec 30, 2004, 05:57 PM

Feel free. I made it very clear that what was going on needed to stop, and you felt the need to continue with the foolishness anyway. If you think I was out of line, well, I agree with you. I was pissed about the way people were behaving, and I still am. Tell me, is making a political point really the most important thing when 100,000 people are dead from a natural disaster? Well, if so, that's your problem. Personally, I think it's rather petty and stupid. So, go ahead and report me, as well you should; I purposely violated several forum rules to try and make my point. I accept the consequences of my actions. If you'd care to discuss this more, feel free to contact me via PM or email. This is not the place.
Nemo me impune lacesset

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 30, 2004, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by effgee:
Two or three such US Navy ships (one or two from Guam, read about it yesterday, forgot the details) are on the way already and the German Red Cross sent two mobile purification plants ... and without a doubt, more are on their way sent from other countries/aid organizations.
Actually, the US military has sent one aircraft carrier and a fleet of five ships, IIRC.

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 30, 2004, 06:00 PM

... I'm filing a formal complaint, and urge others to do the same.
On a similar note ... where do I file a formal praise?

effgee
Caffeinated Theme Master
Dec 30, 2004, 06:09 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
Actually, the US military has sent one aircraft carrier and a fleet of five ships, IIRC.
Yeah, something like that - I was (as usual) skimming the NYT in my sleep-drunken stupor ...

**besserwisser**

Sherwin
Professional Poster
Dec 31, 2004, 03:35 PM

Originally posted by Spheric Harlot:
This is not possible. US aircraft carriers always travel in "carrier groups" along with nine other ships (so there being a carrier and only five other ships is a mathematical impossibility).

Last I heard, they had two carrier groups (that's twenty ships) and about five "water ships" on site.

version
Mac Elite
Dec 31, 2004, 03:41 PM

You seem to be having a hard time reading and comprehending the several sternly worded warnings I've posted in this thread. Knock off the political crap and take it to the proper forum. Anything off topic will be deleted.
( Last edited by ThinkInsane; Dec 31, 2004 at 05:45 PM. )
A Jew with a view.

Forum Links
Forum Rules