Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Dental insurance?!

Dental insurance?!
bstone
Mac Elite
Mar 29, 2005, 07:41 PM

I haven't been to a dentist in about 5 years. I do brush daily and have very low sugar intake, I do feel it good to have a proper exam. I went to a local dentist and was quoted the following:

1st exam- $68
Cleaning- $85
Full mouth X Ray- $120

Total: $273

I contacted the people who I have my individual health insurance with (BCBS PPO) and asked about dental insurance. Because I am in school and not employed with a group plan the woman was less than thrilled with the plans. The best one she had was $35/month, 100% coverage with a one-time-life-time $35 deductable. The only "wait periods" are 6 months for X-Rays and 2 years (!!) for crowns. I couldn't understand the X-Ray one as how else do you know if you have a cavity?

It didn't seem worthwhile to sign up as a full year of the plan is $420, whereas with the above and another cleaning in 6 months would be $358. I did, however, think it would be worthwhile to sign up for one month in order to get the cleaning and exam and pay out of pocked for the X-Rays. There is no contact on the plan and if the dentist sees something *BAD* I guess I could just sign up until the wait periods are over.

I would really appreciate some feedback on this. Maybe someone knows of a better plan or an alternative to insurance?

THANKS!!
Emergency Medicine & Urgent Care.

Mithras
Professional Poster
Mar 29, 2005, 07:58 PM

Gah, dentistry is expensive and as you discovered the insurance is lousy.
One option you can look into is getting care at a dentistry school, which is often significantly cheaper yet quite good.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 29, 2005, 11:44 PM

Move to a country with decent healthcare?

Vi0
Baninated
Mar 30, 2005, 12:58 AM

You all don't make sense to me. Healthcare is a service. A service provided by professionals. Professionals who require lots of training and education.

These services are expensive because of the skill and intelligence needed to perform them. Yet you all don't want to pay for them. You want the government (which gets its money from the people) to pay for it. So you really just want other people to pay for your healthcare. You know that's just really greedy. You want healthcare? Pay for it yourself or really just shut the hell up. Next you'll want other people to pay for your food and beverages.

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 01:01 AM

I agree if you're a student you should go to the local dental school. You sacrifice a bit of professionalism but it's much more affordable until you get with an employer that has decent dental coverage.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2005, 01:09 AM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
Move to a country with decent healthcare?
Yeah, when are you going to do that?
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 03:33 AM

Originally posted by Vi0:
You all don't make sense to me. Healthcare is a service. A service provided by professionals. Professionals who require lots of training and education.

These services are expensive because of the skill and intelligence needed to perform them. Yet you all don't want to pay for them. You want the government (which gets its money from the people) to pay for it. So you really just want other people to pay for your healthcare. You know that's just really greedy. You want healthcare? Pay for it yourself or really just shut the hell up. Next you'll want other people to pay for your food and beverages.
I just happen to be in school, with an MD and PhD (in biology) as my goal. I believe in socialized healthcare.

Vi0
Baninated
Mar 30, 2005, 03:45 AM

Originally posted by bstone:
I just happen to be in school, with an MD and PhD (in biology) as my goal. I believe in socialized healthcare.
What kind of reply is that?? You just state you believe in "socialized" healthcare and that's supposed to mean anything to anyone with a brain?

Your beliefs are really worthless to me. Healthcare needs to be paid for by the person needing it just like a car or computer for example is paid for by the person needing it, not by forcing the government to steal money from the general public. Arguing against that proves you are nothing more than some deluded piece of crap who regurgitates the newest political trends they hear on the TV.

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 03:47 AM

Access to healthcare is a human right. Denying it to someone due to lack of funds is the same as rejecting a job applicant due to race.
( Last edited by bstone; Mar 30, 2005 at 04:03 AM. )

Vi0
Baninated
Mar 30, 2005, 04:07 AM

Access to healthcare is a human right. Denying it to someone due to lack of funds is the same as rejecting a job applicant due to skin race.
Interesting. So if a doctor demands to be paid for performing health services, he or she is now a racist? How you got to this conclusion really is bewildering. You can argue anything under the guise of "human rights" so it really proves nothing, because human rights are just an abstract concept that is not recognized by any electorate. The fact remains that you are advocating that a government steal money from the general public to pay for a service for yourself. Do you actually think you can try to pass this marxist-derived crap off like it's something new?

bstone  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 30, 2005, 04:09 AM

Interesting. So if a doctor demands to be paid for performing health services, he or she is now a racist? How you got to this conclusion really is bewildering. You can argue anything under the guise of "human rights" so it really proves nothing, because human rights are just an abstract concept that is not recognized by any electorate. The fact remains that you are advocating that a government steal money from the general public to pay for a service for yourself. Do you actually think you can try to pass this marxist-derived crap off like it's something new?
I think you should watch your language when debating. Otherwise people don't take you seriously.

I'm done with this thread and small minded people as yourself.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 08:38 AM

Originally posted by MacNStein:
Yeah, when are you going to do that?
I know I was being a little flippant in my original post, but I really believe that access to free healthcare makes not only sense for the individual but also for society as a whole. I agree that health care in the US is probably up there with the best on the planet - as long as you can pay for it, creating a multi caste society as far as health is concerned, along financial fault lines.

Take annual check-ups and screenings for example, which are done in pretty every county I have ever lived in. There is ample evidence to suggest that catching illnesses early is a whole lot cheaper, never mind easier on the individual, than dealing with it later when you've got a fully blown crisis on your hands.

I am staggered by the number of Americans without even minimal health insurance. I remember somebody on this board even debating whether they could afford to see a doctor. For me, having to make a decision between financial or personal health is just obscene.

wdlove
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 30, 2005, 02:56 PM

You have to understand the thought processes of the residents of Cambridge, MA. They don't represent all of us in MA.

My wife had dental insurance for a while. Its the insurance that make out on the deal.

"Never give in, never give in, never, never, never, never - in nothing, great or small, large or petty - never give in except to convictions of honor and good sense." Winston Churchill

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2005, 03:06 PM

I think you should watch your language when debating. Otherwise people don't take you seriously.
There's nothing wrong with his language. He detailed his opinions in a concise and direct manner. He didn't flame you or call you names.

My advice? Grow some thicker skin, and quit complaining and threatening to "take the ball away" when someone challenges you.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Mar 30, 2005, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
I know I was being a little flippant in my original post, but I really believe that access to free healthcare makes not only sense for the individual but also for society as a whole. I agree that health care in the US is probably up there with the best on the planet - as long as you can pay for it, creating a multi caste society as far as health is concerned, along financial fault lines.

Take annual check-ups and screenings for example, which are done in pretty every county I have ever lived in. There is ample evidence to suggest that catching illnesses early is a whole lot cheaper, never mind easier on the individual, than dealing with it later when you've got a fully blown crisis on your hands.

I am staggered by the number of Americans without even minimal health insurance. I remember somebody on this board even debating whether they could afford to see a doctor. For me, having to make a decision between financial or personal health is just obscene.
My problem with the concept is:

1.) the best and the brightest won't become doctors, they'll choose research jobs with pharmaceutical companies which will pay more. Most people choose these occupations so that they can have a very comfortable lifestyle.

2.) the system will be mishandled and end up costing us more in the long run.

3.) Lower quality healthcare (caused by #1 & #2).

4.) long waits for healthcare (caused by #1 & #2).

If all of these factors could be addressed, I'd be more agreeable with supporting such a system.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules