Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Mac OS X 10.5

Mac OS X 10.5
Vi0
Baninated
Apr 17, 2005, 01:51 PM

Does anybody know what it will be called, what features it might have, and when Apple will begin shipping it? Will is support legacy hardware? How much will it cost?

leperkuhn
Senior User
Apr 17, 2005, 02:01 PM

and the award for the absurd post of the day goes to... Vi0! congrats.

Severed Hand of Skywalker
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 02:02 PM

I know this is a joke but meh.

"Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"

OptimusG4
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2005, 02:10 PM

1) Lynx
2) Text based browsing
3) Before Longhorn
4) probably not
5) $129
"Another classic science-fiction show cancelled before its time" ~ Bender

15.2" PowerBook 1.25GHz, 80GB HD, 768MB RAM, SuperDrive

nredman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 02:30 PM

Mac OS X Liger 10.5

It's pretty much my favorite operating system...bred for its skills in magic.

"I'm for anything that gets you through the night, be it prayer, tranquilizers, or a bottle of Jack Daniel's."

leperkuhn
Senior User
Apr 17, 2005, 02:33 PM

new features.. lets see what we can do..

XCode 3 will feature support for more languages and code structures, including PHP and ASP. It would also include a built in support for php syntax checking.

more debugging code will be removed, resulting in a 45% increase in speed for b&w g3s, even though they're 6 years old.

alarm clock will be built into itunes

apple will ditch the Next Based Kernal in favor of the far superior NuKernal, which isn't plagued by such useless features as protected memory or preemptive multitasking.

The machine will now feature the "growl" mode in which it snarls and swipes at you with iClaws, a $99 accessory available via the apple menu.

further integration with treasure hunting software and alchamy tools

new sherlock will replace the dashboard.

mono will be integrated with support for win forms. applications will natively compile and run on the mac without any recoding

apple will acquire tivo and include tv tuner card as standard. remote will be bundled with future macs.

more tools will be included to remotely log in to access documents and pictures stored in iPhoto, which is currently a huge pain if you are not at home. (legit request)

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 02:33 PM

New Finder and some new built-in themes !

P
Apr 17, 2005, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by leperkuhn
new features.. lets see what we can do..

XCode 3 will feature support for more languages and code structures, including PHP and ASP. It would also include a built in support for php syntax checking.

more debugging code will be removed, resulting in a 45% increase in speed for b&w g3s, even though they're 6 years old.

alarm clock will be built into itunes

apple will ditch the Next Based Kernal in favor of the far superior NuKernal, which isn't plagued by such useless features as protected memory or preemptive multitasking.

The machine will now feature the "growl" mode in which it snarls and swipes at you with iClaws, a $99 accessory available via the apple menu.

further integration with treasure hunting software and alchamy tools

new sherlock will replace the dashboard.

mono will be integrated with support for win forms. applications will natively compile and run on the mac without any recoding

apple will acquire tivo and include tv tuner card as standard. remote will be bundled with future macs.

more tools will be included to remotely log in to access documents and pictures stored in iPhoto, which is currently a huge pain if you are not at home. (legit request)
Of course, it will also run on x86, move the menubar to the left side of the screen just because they can, and use the unused processing power of the USB controllers to further boost speeds....

Person Man
Professional Poster
Apr 17, 2005, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by nredman
Mac OS X Liger 10.5
No, it should be Mac OS X Jagulep

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2005, 04:37 PM

Finally, back to the good old days of System 7!
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

TailsToo
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2005, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
Finally, back to the good old days of System 7!
Publish and Subscribe!

Geobunny
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by TailsToo
Publish and Subscribe!
Hey, I used that! ...... twice!
ClamXav - the free virus scanner for Mac OS X | Geobunny learns to fly

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Apr 17, 2005, 08:29 PM

Rumor has it... it's going to have less debug code and they are going to release two versions of 10.5.0

leperkuhn
Senior User
Apr 17, 2005, 09:14 PM

My dad is a good friend of steve jobs, and I hear that OS X will be integrated into the fridge, oven, and washing machine.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Apr 17, 2005, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by Geobunny
Hey, I used that! ...... twice!
I seriously used it all the time. It's the biggest thing I miss in Quark 6. The dolts apparently couldn't figure out how to reimplement it themselves, so they just dropped the feature, forcing me to constantly hunt through the file system to find pictures that need color-correcting. Argh.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

hldan
Mac Elite
Apr 17, 2005, 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by Vi0
Does anybody know what it will be called, what features it might have, and when Apple will begin shipping it? Will is support legacy hardware? How much will it cost?
I got the scoop since everyone here is being sarcastic. I work for Apple under Mr. Jobs and Mac OSX version 10.5 will incorporate the following features:

My Computer

Recycle Bin

The Apple menu will be completely replaced with a much more intuitive and foolproof design utilizing a "Start button" followed by "All Programs" followed by "Get Frustrated".

10.5 will do away with Drag & Drop to the trash and utilize uninstall since this is much easier.

Code name for 10.5 will be pussykitten. Shhh, don't tell anyone.

iMac 24" 2.8 Ghz Core 2 Extreme
500GB HDD
4GB Ram
Proud new Owner!

Superchicken
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 17, 2005, 10:40 PM

I just want to say, I am pretty sure that OS X.5 will be magic... not this silly marketing stuff... Steve Jobs has actually been delving deep into the world of the Occult. That said the EU will be requiring Apple to sell a Reduced Witch Craft Edition encase people do not want to install the new iCauldron, Le Magic, and Quicktime parts of the OS.

starman
Clinically Insane
Apr 18, 2005, 08:43 AM

Mac OS X version 10.5 will be called Siamese. It will just sit and stare at you all day.

Mike

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

stuffedmonkey
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 19, 2005, 11:54 AM

New features include OpenDoc technology, the Cyberdog web browser, Piles, and comes free with a two button mouse with scroll wheel.

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by stuffedmonkey
New features include OpenDoc technology, the Cyberdog web browser, Piles, and comes free with a two button mouse with scroll wheel.
That would be sweet. Cyberdog was the best email client ever!

leperkuhn
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 12:17 PM

i thought cyberdog was a web browser?

nonhuman
Posting Junkie
Apr 19, 2005, 12:24 PM

It was also an email client (and did a couple other things too, if I remember correctly).

leperkuhn
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 12:57 PM

ah, i stand corrected. from the wikipedia:

Cyberdog is an OpenDoc-based suite of internet applications, including email and news readers, a web browser and address book management components. Used together they produce a single suite similar to those offered by larger "monolithic" applications such as Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer. However the use of OpenDoc allows these components to be reused and embedded in other documents by the user. For instance, a "live" web page could be embedded in a presentation program.

Cyberdog is also the name of a famous trance clothing shop in Camden, London -- see Cyberdog, Camden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CyberDog

knowledge +2.

Don Pickett
Professional Poster
Apr 19, 2005, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Chuckit
I seriously used it all the time. It's the biggest thing I miss in Quark 6. The dolts apparently couldn't figure out how to reimplement it themselves, so they just dropped the feature, forcing me to constantly hunt through the file system to find pictures that need color-correcting. Argh.
Publish and SUbscribe was one of those promising Apple technologies which went nowhere. It came out of OpenDoc was supposed to be like a turbocharged OLE, but never got developed much by Apple and was mostly ignored by developers. Quark was one of the few apps which used it, and even then it was flaky. Honestly, I have never missed it.

plasticman
Apr 19, 2005, 01:36 PM

I hear MacOS X v10.5 will no longer be named by numbers. In a marketing exercise which is effectively an extension of the current "big cats" naming technique, Apple has now decided to call its operating systems by names rather than sequential numbers. The next version of OS X will be called OS X professional, or OS XP for short. Because Apple want to appeal to those people who haven't joined the computer revolution, they will make names less technical sounding, and will ditch the "OS" part of the name to call it simply XP. This, however, will be a meaningless name and to add a descriptive element to what Apple invented, they will prescript the operating system's name with Apple's most succesful idea for an operating system, the windows in which applications appear. Accordingly, OSX10.5 will be refreshingly and invitingly called Windows XP.

Applefreak01
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 01:50 PM

Go away for awhile from the forums and come back and we know have a lot of good people on here now.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

UnixMac
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Vi0

Mac Pro 3.0, ATI 5770 1GB VRAM, 10GB, 2xVelociraptor boot RAID, 4.5TB RAID0 storage, 30" & 20" Apple displays.
2 x Macbook Pro's 17" 3.06 4 GB RAM, 256GB Solid State drives
iMac 17" Core Duo 1GB RAM, & 2 iPhones 8GB, and a Nano in a pear tree!
Apple user since 1981

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Apr 19, 2005, 02:38 PM

ah, i stand corrected. from the wikipedia:

Cyberdog is an OpenDoc-based suite of internet applications, including email and news readers, a web browser and address book management components. Used together they produce a single suite similar to those offered by larger "monolithic" applications such as Netscape Navigator or Internet Explorer. However the use of OpenDoc allows these components to be reused and embedded in other documents by the user. For instance, a "live" web page could be embedded in a presentation program.

Cyberdog is also the name of a famous trance clothing shop in Camden, London -- see Cyberdog, Camden.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CyberDog

knowledge +2.
http://homepage.mac.com/awaspaas/.Pictures/cyberdog.jpg

I wonder if it still works.

leperkuhn
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 02:50 PM

they should open source it, and open doc, just in case someone wants to play w/ it. Why not?

OreoCookie
Apr 19, 2005, 02:50 PM

This thread has no value (TM)
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

Applefreak01
Senior User
Apr 19, 2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie
This thread has no value (TM)
Agreed.
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

Forum Links
Forum Rules