Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Mighty Mouse and Xounds not working for me in 10.4

Mighty Mouse and Xounds not working for me in 10.4
elair
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 2, 2005, 10:58 PM

I have the newest Tiger compatible versions but neither will apply. I followed the directions. I e-mailed "unsanity" yesterday without response relating that xounds " was not taking". Now today mighty mouse (the 10.4 version) won't apply the cursor set when "apply' is depressed in the mighty mouse options. I've restarted, shut down, repaired permissions. I have a new dual 2.3 with Tiger which is otherwise working flawlessly. I downloaded todays updated Shapeshifter and tried to utilize the new cursor through the mighty mouse pane of shapeshifter but it states "shapeshifter was unable to apply the Mighty Mouse cursor set. I have paid and registered for all 3 of these Unsanity modification apps. Any help will be appreciated. dennis (first post)

smeger
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 06:34 AM

Dennis, first off, please give Unsanity's tech support a bit more time to wade through the deluge of emails that inevitably accompany a new release. They just had nine releases in a span of four days.

But to try to help out at this moment, I suggest you search your hard drive for "APE", for "Application Enhancer" (with a space) and for "ApplicationEnhancer" (without a space). Whatever you find, throw away. Then, download new copies of the installers for your products, reinstall, log out and back in, and try again. If that doesn't do the trick, give the Unsanity guy's a bit more time to get back to you.
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

Norman Holm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 3, 2005, 01:33 PM

I had the same problem with Mighty Mouse not working in Tiger. Smeger's instructions worked perfectly for me.
( Last edited by Norman Holm; May 3, 2005 at 01:53 PM. )

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 01:51 PM

Mighty Mouse seems to be working ok for me since the update but it keeps timing out saying I need to pay for it.I already have.It will let me reapply without any trouble though.
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by brazil
Mighty Mouse seems to be working ok for me since the update but it keeps timing out saying I need to pay for it.I already have.It will let me reapply without any trouble though.
same here

smeger
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 06:38 PM

The registration time-out thing seems to be affecting a lot of users. I'm looking into it.

Did the Mighty Mouse preference pane tell you that you needed to update your serial number, and if so, did the process conclude successfully?
Geekspiff - generating spiffdiddlee software since before you began paying attention.

PimPamPet
May 3, 2005, 07:13 PM

I've had the same problem. I bought a couple of apps at once, downloaded mighty mouse latest version and aplied a new cursor set (Somatic). After an hour or two I got the serial message. When I looked into my sys prefs, all was well!! It said it was registered, but in ShapeShifter it was still on Somatic allthough the cursor was set to Apple's set again. I needed to set it to Apple Cursor first and then reapply it. Hope this is an easy fix for you guys though... And I'm soooo hoping for Silk to be updated... phew

smeger
Mac Elite
May 3, 2005, 09:20 PM

Okay, nailed the registration issue. Your registration is being accepted but not every component of Mighty Mouse was realizing it. If you're being bitten by this, a log out will make it "take" everywhere.

I'll release a 1.2.1 that fixes this for new upgraders, too.

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
May 3, 2005, 09:53 PM

Thanks smeger , gonna go do that right now - - - dig it and werd to yer mother.
"I'm a Grey Chicken" - This is what my African Grey said . She did not learn it from me. www.screaminmoon.com

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2005, 12:07 AM

did not fix me,but thanks for workin' it out for us .

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 4, 2005, 01:39 AM

same here, registered...
but got that flashing request to register as well!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

elair  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 4, 2005, 09:01 AM

Still inconsistent and requesting registration even though it's registered.

smeger
Mac Elite
May 4, 2005, 07:32 PM

Let me clarify here on the Mighty Mouse registration issue. What I expect is this:
  • Open the Mighty Mouse preference pane
  • It tells you it needs to update your registration info (this will only happen one time)
  • The Mighty Mouse prefpane tells you its registered
  • You continue to see the nag
  • You log out and back in again
  • You apply a custom cursor set using either the Mighty Mouse prefpane of the ShapeShifter prefpane
  • The Mighty Mouse prefpane still tells you its registered
  • Everything is fine

If you're having this issue, please tell me which of the above steps was the first one NOT to occur.

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
May 4, 2005, 08:36 PM

I could be wrong but I do not remember doing the update registration with MM,
My MM prefrences say it is registered.
Yep,I'm getting the nag alright.
Log out and in done plus a reboot er two.
Apply custom set using MM prefrence,check.
The MM prefpane says registered ta me.
And that nag screen is pretty jazzy,eh? please fix us soon.

blikum
May 4, 2005, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by smeger
Let me clarify here on the Mighty Mouse registration issue. What I expect is this:
  • Open the Mighty Mouse preference pane
  • It tells you it needs to update your registration info (this will only happen one time)
  • The Mighty Mouse prefpane tells you its registered
  • You continue to see the nag
  • You log out and back in again
  • You apply a custom cursor set using either the Mighty Mouse prefpane of the ShapeShifter prefpane
  • The Mighty Mouse prefpane still tells you its registered
  • Everything is fine

If you're having this issue, please tell me which of the above steps was the first one NOT to occur.
Everything seems like it's fine. The cursor applies fine, my name is in the registration window. But after a while of using it, the Please register Mighty Mouse comes up on the screen. I can re-choose my Cursor and apply, but once again after "a While" the nag screen pops up.
I have logged out/in, rebooted you name it, still no go.

smeger
Mac Elite
May 5, 2005, 03:57 AM

The registration update thing that I'm referring to looked like this:

You should have seen it the first time you opened the Mighty Mouse preference pane after upgrading to version 1.2, and then never again. It sounds as though you never saw it at all. Did you ever see it?

elair  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 5, 2005, 07:43 AM

Honestly I don't remember if I saw it or not. Realize that ShapeShifter and Xounds have also been re-downloaded. And I downloaded APE and Mighty Mouse more than once. I have activated my registration more than once but no longer remember where. I guess my lesson here is to wait until the bugs have been addressed before I download/buy/or activate new or updated applications. In general my experience with Unsanity has been good. I'm no longer going to reactivate Mighty Mouse until a definitive solution is posted.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 09:28 AM

i'm pretty sure i saw that update screen (i know i saw it with shapeshifter).
otherwise, i fit the profile (my experience is as you described).

keep us informed, thanx!
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

blikum
May 5, 2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by smeger
The registration update thing that I'm referring to looked like this:

You should have seen it the first time you opened the Mighty Mouse preference pane after upgrading to version 1.2, and then never again. It sounds as though you never saw it at all. Did you ever see it?
Yes, I saw it. I initially installed Mighty Mouse 1.2 in 10.3.9 that's where the upgrade registration screen was. In tiger it's a pop up nag registration reminder. Then MM switches back to the stock cursor. I open the Pref Pane re-apply my cursor and everythings dandy for a while. Then the whole scenario repeats itself.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 5, 2005, 01:15 PM

exactly as blikum described, above.

elair  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 12:50 AM

No fix yet? I reinstalled Mighty Mouse yet again. Works until I restart or sleep the computer. Then back to the default apple cursor. Admittedly ShapeShifter works fine with Max's brushed theme in Tiger. Please address the M.M. problems.

PimPamPet
May 8, 2005, 04:21 AM

@ smeger

I did see that window for updating the regisration, but ONLY once!
After that everything seemed to be perfect but after a while you get that transparent message with the mouse. I have done exactely what you've suggested with the log-out/in but that doesn't help.

Good luck!

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
May 8, 2005, 02:34 PM

I too am very tired of seeing that registratiion reminder and having to reapply - I have emailed US last week but no answer yet. I really want my cursor back,, and to think it was working just fine before I updated it makes me growl.

jebworks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 8, 2005, 03:57 PM

Went through the whole process described previously, including the update of registration panel and I can import cursors into the MM pane but nothing holds after applying changes. Also, ShapeShifter is unable to apply changes......

Hi I'm Mike
Mac Enthusiast
May 8, 2005, 08:49 PM

yep, i get the same problem, emailed unsanity with what was said in here, basically i dont think I ever got that update window either time i reinstalled everything. I restarted twice and even logged into another user account to see if I could fix it that way. Still getting the pop up asking me to register and going to prefs and it is registered then reapplying the cursor to get the screen saying to register again 30 minutes later. It sounds like if you found the problem that the version 1.2.1 that you put out will fix it so we will just all wait for that

smeger
Mac Elite
May 9, 2005, 04:37 AM

I thought that I'd found the problem until I began hearing people say that a log out/in didn't fix it and that they never saw the registration update dialog I posted a pic of earlier in this thread. Hearing those told me that my fix wasn't really a fix, so rather than release something that doesn't work, I'm trying to figure out why the log out/in doesn't resolve it with the existing 1.2 release.

Be assured that I'll release a 1.2.1 that resolves this as soon as humanly possible. I'm fully aware of how annoying it must be.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 9, 2005, 08:24 AM

sure it's annoying, but also impressive (the whole translucent screen, and how it appears with a "flash".

funny, happened to me 3 times on saturday, but only once sunday.

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
May 9, 2005, 09:40 AM

I just installed APE and Xounds on a brand new Powerbook G4 with OSX 10.4 installed by default, and Xounds is not working for me at all. It was half-working last night after a restart, then I shut down for the night and this morning it is not working. I have seen nothing about registration reminders however.

olorin15
Dedicated MacNNer
May 10, 2005, 06:13 PM

MM does not work for me in Tiger either ... I tried trashing the preferences for it and reinstalling, but it did not help When I hit preview in the prefpane, it works, but apply has not effect.
Dopeler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they
come at you rapidly

elair  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2005, 06:21 PM

Yea it was working for me erratically but now not at all. The irony is I waited until Tiger to purchase it since it was listed as compatible. Obviously it was the wrong timing for purchasing. It is still erroneously listed as compatible on the Unsanity site.

eyevaan
Grizzled Veteran
May 11, 2005, 02:39 PM

This forum is awesome... I started to run into this problem and lo and behold, one of the programmers answers the question here... awsome.

great product though
Waiting patiently for 1.2.1

smeger
Mac Elite
May 11, 2005, 05:08 PM

Okay, there's a semi-public beta of Mighty Mouse 1.2.1 here. I do not guarantee that it will resolve the registration issue, since I've had conflicting reports on what the problem is. If you're affected by this issue and are adventurous enough to try a beta, please contact me to tell me whether it worked or not. You can email me at my first name (actor Priestly, mythical guy who hung out with aargonauts) at a lil' company named Unsanity, which is a dot-com.

You should log out after installing.

The beta also resolves an issue with cursor scaling not being properly applied at log in.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 11, 2005, 05:11 PM

installing....now.

(details over next few days...)

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
May 11, 2005, 05:53 PM

But what about Xounds?

blikum
May 11, 2005, 06:42 PM

Thanks Smeger,

I'll test it for a bit and post the results.

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
May 11, 2005, 06:56 PM

Thanks smeger,,I would like to note here that after I installed the beta,logged out/in , my cursor seemed sluggish.Like it took a lot more wrist movement than before to cover the same screen.I restarted and seem to be back to normal.Thanks again for workin' it out for us.

elair  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 11, 2005, 07:43 PM

It worked, I registered,the prompt asking me to update my registration came up, I did. I logged out and in and It's gone. I'm tired of spending so much time on a damned cursor. I just thought it would be fun. And yes I know the beta didn't come with a guarantee. I'm attempting M.M. within Tiger on a new 2.3 PowerMac. dennis

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 11, 2005, 10:41 PM

danger, will robinson!
discovered that i had the old mighty mouse running, and the beta (in other words, it didn't replace the old one)

am good now...
just waiting to (hopefully) not see the shareware window again...

blikum
May 12, 2005, 12:23 AM

Unfortunately I still have the same results as before. Back to the boring cursor.

brazil
Dedicated MacNNer
May 12, 2005, 07:49 PM

I think I'm fixed,,its been 24 hours and no registration prompt----thanks smeger.

Norman Holm
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 12, 2005, 11:18 PM

Thanks for the beta update Smeger! it resolved the registration problem for me. All is working smoothly.

smeger
Mac Elite
May 13, 2005, 01:32 AM

So the beta generally seems to be working, but not in 100% of the cases. If you're still having problems and are interested in helping me to resolve them, shoot me an email (using the directions in my previous post).

I don't want to do tech support in a discussion thread because I can't do any troubleshooting this way. And it's rude to our MacNN hosts.

elair  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 13, 2005, 07:55 AM

At least three times I have deleted appenhancer and downloaded Mighty Mouse. It accepts an imported cursor. Works. I log out and lose the M.M. transformation. I re-import a cursor set and it doesn't take. In the past (before the newest M.M.-Tiger beta on the unsanity site) I did indeed get the register prompt but now I don't get anything as M.M. doesn't activate my chosen cursor set. I have as I said previously identified everything APE, applicationenhancer, and M.M. related via Spotlight and deleted it (with the exception of my registration receipt) and started over too many times. I am both e-mailing and posting this complaint. And yes I have paid for this app., S.S., and Xounds.

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 13, 2005, 08:31 AM

Works

Thanks.

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 13, 2005, 10:13 AM

2 days later, and still good...

Acrimonium
May 13, 2005, 01:14 PM

Argh, same here, on a good ol 10.3.9... It was installed since about 3 or 4 monthes... Guess there is something related to the date or S.S. update... Does M.M 1.2.1 beta work on pre-Tiger

jebworks
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 14, 2005, 10:16 PM

I'm unable to apply the MIghty Mouse cursors in Shape Shifter keep getting the same error message - SS was unable to apply the selected mods.
SS panel shows that AL Book Set is applied but I'm actually using the Aqua Default Set. Trying to change to this default set results in the same error.... Strange indeed!

Rosyna
Forum Regular
May 15, 2005, 12:17 AM

Can anyone having issues with Xounds on 10.4 open the Sound preference pane, click output, make sure the correct output is selected and tell me if Xounds still doesn't work?

Slayer-X
Forum Regular
May 15, 2005, 11:21 AM

Rosyna - checked my Sound prefpane, correct output selected, volume is up, Xounds still not working. :/

fisherKing
Professional Poster
May 15, 2005, 11:43 AM

o well...

beta not doing it.

sunday, screen flashed, and i am back to default cursors.
tried to redo in mightymouse, still default (will log out & try again in a few minutes).

edit: had to delete prefs, to get my cursors back this time....
( Last edited by fisherKing; May 15, 2005 at 12:55 PM. )

Forum Links
Forum Rules