Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > GUI Customization > Faked screen economy - resolution independence

Faked screen economy - resolution independence
cojumdip
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 28, 2007, 11:28 PM

Using an LCD, is there a way bypass the max recommended native resolution, and shrink the overall image down to get better screen economy with increased miniaturization? Yes, it would look crappier and you might have to squint, but if you ran Pro Tools or something you could gain a little more viewing space. Something like this:

Native resolution:

Higher resolution, but shrunk:

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 1, 2007, 01:59 AM

Just wait a few months... I hear Leopard is going to do this. Seriously.

R

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 1, 2007, 03:01 AM

No Leopard won't do that. The max resolution of an lcd is fixed. You are talking about the relative size of the desktop. I am not sure of how to scale the desktop in the direction you want, ctrl and mouse wheel on my machine zooms in, you are talking about out zooming out. G0Ducks is talking about resolution independence, which is the idea that items on the screen can be any size regardless of the resolution of the screen. He is correct that this will likely give you what you want. Sorry to be a pedant.

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2007, 10:40 AM

I want to drive 200mp/h but my car does only 100mp/h how can I speed up?

(If you don't get it: That's just impossible, you can't have a higher resolution than the monitor you have is able to.)

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2007, 03:06 PM

Metal - you are right, but I think the OP knows he can't get more resolution, he wants to shrink the items on his desktop - any ideas on that? Kind of the opposite of the accessibility function that lets you magnify them, while maintaining the same resolution.

air
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 2, 2007, 03:24 PM

actually, I have a Powerbook 12" and I wanted to play around with the resolution. I always want a higher resolution because I like to do graphic design and I always have a lot of apps open. I remember reading about something on these forums, a haxie that would allow me to run a higher resolution. I installed it and it worked great for a while, a little wonky, but it did work.

edit: found it. its called: User Interface Resolution Scaling. Its found in TinkerTool System under "System Setup" Tab, under "Quartz"

example: http://img153.imageshack.us/img153/6636/picture1mb9.png
( Last edited by air; Mar 2, 2007 at 03:45 PM. )

arcticmac
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 6, 2007, 08:14 PM

Also in developer tools:
/Developer/Applications/Performance Tools/Quartz Debug.app
hit apple-u when it opens, and then change the slider value. New value affects programs when they launch.

Azazell
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 12, 2007, 08:24 PM

how do u get there?

MetalSnake
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 12, 2007, 08:46 PM

well, you could always use

defaults write com.apple.iTunes AppleDisplayScaleFactor .75

in Terminal. (change com.apple.iTunes to the pref file name without suffix and .75 to whatever you want, 1 is normal, everything below is smaller)

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 12, 2007, 11:20 PM

So G0Ducks was right. Leopard is supposed to do this, which will give cojumdip exactly what he wants.

Peeb is right, that the max resolution of an LCD is fixed. But that doesn't mean that the OS can't draw things smaller.

G0Ducks
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 13, 2007, 12:04 AM

*drinks a little more wine* That's right mofos... I was right

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 14, 2007, 03:35 AM

"Native resolution:
resized image, click here for original

Higher resolution, but shrunk:"
Weeeellll, not wanting to be pedantic, what I was quibbling with was GoDucks telling the op that Leopard would, indeed, "do that" (I thought he was referring to the op's request for "Higher resolution, but shrunk". I was pointing out that Leopard will not give higher resolution, just shrunk.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Mar 15, 2007, 01:08 AM

Leopard's interface will be resolution independent, so it only stands to reason—hopefully anyway—that Apple provide some Appearance option for interface scaling. As mentioned, your LCD's resolution won't change, but Leopard will be able to draw its interfaces smaller to give more screen real estate.

Forum Links
Forum Rules