Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > G5: Which Soundsystem and Resolution?

G5: Which Soundsystem and Resolution?
rudynorff
Nov 2, 2003, 10:00 AM

Hello,
I've got two questions before I go out and get my 1.8Ghz machine.
The first one should be quite easy for G5 owners:

What monitor resolution can you set on your machines as a max?

Second: I've seen this Logitech soundsystem, the Z680 (?), being able to do THX and Dolby Digital 5.1. For me as a student this system is too expensive considering all the payments I'll have to make.
So my question is how is the system connected to the G5 (via TosLink) and can the other Logitech systems be connected to the G5 as well. I saw some inexpensive 5.1 systems on their site, so i am wondering wether they can be connected to my machine.

Thanks in advance to all your answers!
Best regards
rudy

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 04:41 PM

your resolultion depends more on your monitor than on your computer. what type of monitor do you have, and i can tell you what res you can run at.

i have a pair of logitech Z-680s connected to my Dual 867 right now. I used to have a pair of Klipsch 5.1s, and they sounded much better. most of the systems on apples site are all fluff. soundsticks, creatures, etc all look better than they sound. i would recomend looking into klipschs new 5.1 system (if the old one was better than the 680s then im sure the new ones are even better)...but they are kinda expensive.

THX, btw, is a certification and not a audio standard like DTS or DD. Logitechs other speaker systems do not have optical ins.

if you like the 680s, get them from dell.com, they often have fantastic prices on them. good luck with your G5!
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

rudynorff  (op)
Nov 2, 2003, 05:41 PM

Thanks for your post! Well I am considering a 19 inch CRT. It can do 1600 x 1200 max. I probably didn't make it clear enough sorry for that. What I actually wanted to ask was if I bought a monitor later on that could do more than 1600x1200 would the PowerMac be able to do more as well? Or simplified: What would be the max resolution that the G5 could handle?
I couldn't find it anywhere on Apples website.

Thanks for your time!
rudy

proton
Senior User
Nov 2, 2003, 07:18 PM

From http://www.apple.com/powermac/specs.html

Support for digital resolutions up to 1920 by 1200 pixels
Support for analog resolutions up to 1600 by 1200 pixels

- proton

DBvader
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 2, 2003, 07:23 PM

actually, my dual 867 running on my NEC multisync 97F can go higher than 1600x1200, but im at home on my PC right now. as soon as i get back to school, i will see what the max res is.
"Take a little dope...and walk out in the air"

fireside
Professional Poster
Nov 2, 2003, 10:46 PM

does the max res depend on your graphics/vid card?

Rychiar
Forum Regular
Nov 6, 2003, 04:01 PM

why would u max yur res, things would be so small u wouldnt see em, il stick to 1024x768
iMac G5 1.8 ghz 20in. 1.5 gigs RAM, 250 gig Harddrive, Fully Wireless
60 Gig Original Overpriced iPod photo
Power Mac G4 450 768 Megs RAM
5 Gig Original iPod (RIP 12-20-04) :(

exa
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 6, 2003, 05:09 PM

Current graphics cards basically go up to 2048x1536@32bit, and they have for several years now.

Now finding a monitor that goes that high is another question.

And you don't really need to use toslink, you can just use the normal analog line outputs. Toslink is basically used for more than 2 channels where the speaker system has the surround decoder (only some speaker systems have decoders).

Forum Links
Forum Rules