Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > iBook screen started flickering

iBook screen started flickering
rudynorff
Feb 16, 2005, 03:59 PM

hi everybody,

I just noted that my iBooks (Dual USB, 500MHz G3) screen started flickering.
it is not very much darker when it flickers, but am i right with the assumption that my screen will die in the next couple of days/weeks?

does anybody know what the problem is? thanks in advance for any replies.

sincerely
rudy

sjohnson615
Feb 17, 2005, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by rudynorff:
hi everybody,

I just noted that my iBooks (Dual USB, 500MHz G3) screen started flickering.
it is not very much darker when it flickers, but am i right with the assumption that my screen will die in the next couple of days/weeks?

does anybody know what the problem is? thanks in advance for any replies.

sincerely
rudy
See all the other threads in here about the logic board failure issue. It seems like this may be the same thing in your case. If not it could potentially be the backlight on the screen or the famous screen hinge issue. Either way you might want to call Apple and explain in detail what is happening to see if the Logic Board is going. The program ends on march 15th i believe and i'm not sure if they are going to bring it back right away.

Detrius
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 12:35 AM

If your system doesn't crash, it isn't the logic board issue.

If it's a brightness flicker based on moving the screen, then it's an issue with the cable going through the hinge.
ACSA 10.4/10.3, ACTC 10.3, ACHDS 10.3

andreas_g4
Professional Poster
Feb 18, 2005, 09:35 AM

Originally posted by Detrius:
If your system doesn't crash, it isn't the logic board issue.

If it's a brightness flicker based on moving the screen, then it's an issue with the cable going through the hinge.
That must not necessarily be true. I had the same issue right before my logic board went dead. You are most probably right, but still, if it's the logic board, he should take it to Apple before the replacement programm expires.

rudynorff  (op)
Feb 18, 2005, 12:01 PM

hi,

thanks for your answers. well, it doesn't matter if i move the iBook or not. it flickers when i am not doing anything as well. so i don't think that it is a loose cable.
and the brightness of the monitor only slightly changes, it is not completely dark, but rather half the brightness.

hope this helps,
thanks for your answers!
rudy

Forum Links
Forum Rules