Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Marketplace > FS: MDD/FW800 Needs work

FS: MDD/FW800 Needs work
Thade
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2005, 05:33 PM

I'm sitting on a MDD FW800 Dual 1.25 and I'm considering throwing in the towel & upgrading my Gigabit Ethernet.

Full desclosure on the issues:

I purchased it on Ebay from a reputable design Pro for $850.00 BIN. The CPU seemingly died after the first hour although I have doubts that it's really dead. I invested in a Gigadesigns Dual 1.33 and it fired right up and worked flawlessly. Upon rebooting after a Radeon 9800 rom update, I received the unplgged video card icon. I shut down, checked the connection & again it was dead. I do occasionally get 4 beeps indicating: no good boot images in the boot ROM (and/or bad sys config block). This leads me to believe that the Giga CPU is also bad. While, unlikely that lightning can strike twice, I think the Giga MDD CPUs may be flakely. They recently stopped production & pulled the MDD CPU from their website. Assuming the CPU is the problem, a swap is the fix. If the CPU isn't the problem, there is the possibility that the original CPU is OK. I aslo have a front panel switch on order but I may not proceed as I have already requested a refund from Giga.

It would appear that the Logic Board and PSU (quiet new version) are fine. The case is absolutley mint. The remaining components are flexible. I currently have it set up with:

Dual 1.25 CPU
WD 160GB HD 7200RPM 8MB Buffer
1 GB Corsair XMS PC 3200 (overkill I know)
Pioneer 106 "superdrive"
XFX FX5500 256MB (VGA only) and or Rage 128
Pro KB/Mouse
Original Box/Software

I have no intention of selling this a a functioning computer, it isn't. On the other hand, I am confident that with the proper resources it can be repaired at a modest cost or sold off as parts which go for a premium on eBay.

$475.00

doucy2
Senior User
Sep 4, 2005, 06:02 PM

ill give you 400 for it
or i can trade you a g4 1ghz 1.5gb 120gb superdrive airport tiger 10.4.2 ati 9000 (if you can throw in a lil cash
ThinkMac.org

Mini Duo 1.66ghz 1.25gb

ll350
Sep 4, 2005, 10:54 PM

pm'ed you

superfula
Senior User
Sep 7, 2005, 10:31 AM

Let me know if it's still available

Thade  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 7, 2005, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by superfula
Let me know if it's still available
Yep, still available.

OneMacGuy
Senior User
Sep 8, 2005, 06:20 AM

I am definitely interested, pm me with your bottom dollar asking amount. I have some pasrts to fix one of these, if the parts from a dual 800 will swap around. Let me know!
Chappaquidick 1, Cheney 0

Forum Links
Forum Rules