Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Hardware Hacking > Second Optical to Gigabit

Second Optical to Gigabit
THE MAC GOD
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 7, 2005, 01:28 PM

I have a gigabit ex 400mhz (upgraded to OWC 1ghz). I am getting the MCE superdrive in today... I was curious if I could drop out the zip drive and drop the old dvdrom down into its' place and put the new MCE SD in it's stead... The only problem I can see it maybe the cpu heatsink would physically conflict.... I can't really tell since you have to close the case to know... anyone have ideas, suggestions, or has done it?

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2005, 06:05 PM

Far as I'm aware, the MDD is the only Mac with a purpose built slot for a second optical drive. A zip drive is a bit smaller I'm afraid. You can connect it to the zip drive's IDE connector, but you'll have to fit it in there first.
How much was the MCE superdrive? Last I looked, they were vastly overpriced. Chances are you'd have been better off buying a DVR-109 from a PC dealer.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 8, 2005, 01:28 AM

yeah... didn't know it was a dvd 109.... didn't say anything on their site.... i double checked... plus I wrote them a nice letter about it. Anyway, you're right... I opened it up and slid out the carrier case and it's specifically designed for an optical and a Zip... you'd have to have a custom carrier case to get it to work... and that's even if the heatsink from the CPU would let the case close. Oh well... good to know.

All as artificial as the Matrix itself, although only a human mind could invent something as insipid as Love.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 8, 2005, 05:55 PM

You can replace the zip with another IDE hard drive though......

They fit quite nicely.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 11, 2005, 11:27 PM

hmm... i have 2 drive in there already... and they don't make 3 HD ide cables... So, I would have to get another controller card... But hey.. another HD would be good I just wonder when i'd need another power supply, what with the new processor, 9000pro 128, dvr-109, 2 hard drives...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 12, 2005, 08:06 AM

An ATA hard drive would fit right where the zip drive goes. On the same power cable, and the same bus cable. Won't be as fast as the ATA bus, but will work just fine. No controller necessary.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2005, 10:55 AM

ah sah... DUH... that's great news... as I have a 40gb drive... can't believe I didn't think of that... thanks!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 13, 2005, 05:37 PM

No problem.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 13, 2005, 09:58 PM

A couple more q's tho...

Ok... Took that extra 45gb hd and put it into the Zip's place... Now I was curious as to whether or not the current power supply can handle the load... I have 3 drives in there (all 7200 rpm) and upgraded DVR-109, CPU from 400mhz to 1ghz, 1.384 GB ram, a 9000PRO 128mb.and a wireless NIC.

I wanted to stress test it a little... So i started burning a full CD and it was ripping fast at 32x... then I started copying stuff from my regular hard drives to the new zipdrive harddrive... and the burning slowed way down... I stopped the transfer and it sped back up... now it's probably because it's on the same bus as the 109, but I like to worry... could it also be a power supply that's totally tapped? I'm not getting any weird behavior or anything... just curious... Thanks!

Also, should I worry about heat? I have a smaller fan... and Should I attach it to the outsdie vent holes? Or put it inside? (it's wired to a DC power plug)
( Last edited by THE MAC GOD; Jun 14, 2005 at 01:10 AM. )

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2005, 08:10 AM

You'll find that transferring large files back or forth will slow down most other tasks, especially those which make use of either CPU or disks. Burning does both.

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2005, 11:31 AM

yeah... ok... that's what I figured... what do you think about the heat? Should i worry or is it all built to handle...

THE MAC GOD  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2005, 11:37 AM

Stupid timeout error in safari... Sorry for the dbl post.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 14, 2005, 03:57 PM

Some G4s have temperature sensors built into the chip. Not sure whether yours does or not, but check version tracker for Temperature Monitor or something similar. That'll soon tell you. If not, any old thermometer should do. Plenty of room for one in the case. Depending on what sort of contact you can give it with the heat sink, you should probably add a few degrees though. It will give you an idea at least.
See the system articles at XLR8 and the mod guides at MacMod for some ideas to improve cooling on a G4.

Forum Links
Forum Rules