Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Vintage Powerbook 170

Vintage Powerbook 170
Snitz
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 11, 2005, 07:44 PM

Hi to everyone
I recently aquired this old powerbook with no operating system. Mac says it will take
7.0.1 to 7.6.1 Where can I get such a system and do you install it from flopies? Have never had a Mac so need lots of help. Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Snitz.

capuchin
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 11, 2005, 07:52 PM

You might try poking around the "Support" area of apple.com - I think there's a link there to download up to System 7.5.

Yes, you'll have to install from floppies. Lots of 'em. Good luck, and happy hunting...
All opinions are entirely those of my employer. It's not my fault.

yoesh
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 15, 2005, 09:05 AM

Check out Gamba's page (http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/index.html) -- lots of good vintage info there. Including Sys 7 install images. The PB 170 was tops when it was introduced, IIRC. If you can find Sys 7.1, it's a great deal nicer. However it's been pulled from many sites as Apple has enforced the 'you-have-to-buy-this-version' mentality (speculation was there was stuff in 7.1 that Apple licensed from others; thus, no free download).

Also check out Jag's page (http://www.jagshouse.com/) -- again -- lots of good vintage stuff

Forum Links
Forum Rules