Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Can showing your work in your portfolio violate clients trademarks?

Can showing your work in your portfolio violate clients trademarks? (Page 2)
Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2008, 12:55 PM

You'd be surprised.

A person I know owns a billboard company. He said he got an image from an ad agency that was far too low a rez. He told them this but they thought it would be OK and had it printed anyway. Not surprisingly, the billboard looked like crap. After this first flub, then haven't made the mistake again, but I'm just surprised they made the mistake in the first place.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
You'd be surprised.

A person I know owns a billboard company. He said he got an image from an ad agency that was far too low a rez for a great big billboard. He told them this but they thought it would be OK and had it printed anyway. Not surprisingly, the billboard looked like crap. After this first flub, then haven't made the mistake again, but I'm just surprised they made the mistake in the first place.
Yeah, true.

I dunno, whenever I'm needed to do something for someone else, my first question usually is a request for specifications.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2008, 01:17 PM

The weird part is that the billboard company guy is somewhat of a computer n00b. Yeah, he owns a billboard company but he knows very little about computers. (He's the business dealer type who had money to invest, not a guy who started in the field.) But at least he knew this much (of course). When he told me this, I, being a regular MacNN type a guy who isn't in the field either, knew this much too.

How an ad agency would not know this just boggles the mind.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 21, 2008, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Eug View Post
How an ad agency would not know this just boggles the mind.
I suppose Ad Agency can span from large well educated and managed team to dude in sweatpants in his apartment.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 21, 2008, 01:23 PM

He says it was not a 1-man show. However I think they had dealt with different types of media before, and I suppose it could have been one of the underlings in the company that was improperly supervised or something like that.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 22, 2008, 01:41 PM

Well I sent him an email a week ago saying that if he didn't pay me by today I would send him interest and send him new invoices. I got the expected reply where he is trying to play big shot and scare me with tax crap. I never charged him taxes as I only have to do that if I make over $30,000 a year in freelance which at the time I wasn't as I was already working full time.

Here's the letter:

"I received your email dated August 15, 2008. I hereby express, in writing, that I still dispute the charges listed on your recent invoice and, as per our phone conversation on July 23, 2008, I require a detailed explanation of all charges laid out in said invoice, which you have not yet provided. As for interest, you are likely aware that interest cannot be arbitrarily charged after the fact. We never agreed in written contract to any interest charges, so I trust you will not attempt to send any further invoices with or without interest applied. As a matter of fact and precedent, your invoices have never mentioned an interest amount, nor did your most recent invoice. Please provide me with detailed explanations of your charges, and I will respond.

As a matter of clearing this issue, I am considering forwarding this invoice, along with all our previous invoices to my accountants and legal representatives. If we proceed in this direction, they will likely contact you directly with specific questions in order to attain more information with respect to the taxing nature of your business and invoicing practices. I have noticed that PST and GST were never directly indicated on any invoice, but I make the logical assumption that you were simply implying this amount within the total you charged for every invoice over the past two years, and remitting the required taxes to the Ministry of Finance. Prior to forwarding this matter on to my representatives, I am wondering if there is a way you would prefer to handle our current situation between us, rather than spending the time and money by involving outside parties. Please let me know your thoughts on this by Friday, August 29th."

Eug
Clinically Insane
Aug 22, 2008, 02:06 PM

Hmmm... If he ever gets a hold of this thread, I'm guessing it could prove problematic if you ever take him to court.

Thorzdad
Aug 22, 2008, 02:06 PM

...dude in sweatpants in his apartment.
That would be an internet marketing "group"

Forum Links
Forum Rules