Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Airport Range?

Airport Range?
ownersbox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 09:44 AM

Anyone else noticing a dramatic decrease in signal reception of the 15 Al Powerbooks?

I had my 15 sitting next to a 17 yesterday while he is getting three bars of signal I get nothing. Places where I use to be able to sit with my old laptop and get a good signal I can't anymore.

Is there any way to check if I have something faulty?

When I am close to an AP on the same network I do get a good connection so I can connect to the network just not with any distance.

Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 05:00 PM

I am experiencing the same thing with my new 15" Al --20ft range max. I do not know if it is a faulty card or something with the antenna in the powerbook.

ownersbox  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 05:14 PM

I assume you mean minus 20ft not that you have a range of 20ft. If that is the case i agree, my range is less by atleast 20ft.

When I return the computer for the white spots hopefully there will be better antennas in the screens also.

Macbear
Oct 29, 2003, 05:19 PM

I've noticed less signal strength with my new 12" Powerbook too. I used to get four bars throughout my home using my old iBook. Now I get two and three bars. The only time I get four bars is sitting right in front of my wireless access point. Must be all that aluminium.
Macbear
Creative Writer - Bon Vivant

mattm42
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 02:22 PM

Yup, I used to be able to see several wireless networks here at school with my iBook. Now I can never detect any with the 15" PB. I, too, am hoping for better antennas when I bring it in for the white spots...

Forum Links
Forum Rules