Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > WTF - Westboro Church planned Protest

WTF - Westboro Church planned Protest
Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 05:55 PM

Westboro Baptist Church plan picket funeral of Steve Jobs • The Register

Every Mac fan should go protest these idiots. Talk about no tact at all. I didn't post this in POL because its not something that is really debatable, I can't see any one on here being supportive on protesting funerals. I just can't believe some people.

I've been some what dismissive of anti Steve Job posts all day because it was expected. But the idea of this upsets me. Not just Steve. The group have done this at other funerals as well. The very notion of protesting at any ones funeral is a upsetting concept.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Oct 6, 2011, 05:58 PM

Par for the course.

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2011, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Par for the course.
Basically, the dark side of the 1st amendment.

I would, however, spend a night in jail after pummeling these subhuman pricks.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2011, 06:01 PM

WBC supports itself by suing people who they provoke into assaulting them.

The bigger the funeral, the more target-rich the environment.

Edit: Q.E.D.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2011, 06:02 PM

here's the tweets:

Westboro Church Uses iPhone to Announce Steve Jobs Funeral Protest - ABC News

“No peace for man who served self, not God,” she wrote with the hashtag, #hellgreetedhim. “Westboro must picket.”

Thursday morning, Phelps responded to widespread criticism of her using the iPhone to Tweet the messages, saying that the phone was created by God–not Jobs–for that purpose.

“Rebels mad cuz I used iPhone to tell you Steve Jobs is in hell.God created iPhone for that purpose! icon smile Westboro Church Uses iPhone to Announce Steve Jobs Funeral Protest ” she wrote.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2011, 06:08 PM

I'm sure God has prepared a special section in hell just for WBC.

-t

sek929
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2011, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
WBC supports itself by suing people who they provoke into assaulting them.

The bigger the funeral, the more target-rich the environment.

Edit: Q.E.D.
Good luck suing me, I ain't worth shit.

subego
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2011, 06:13 PM

Well then, I understand they think God hates Fallout too...

[cage door opens]

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post
I'm sure God has prepared a special section in hell just for WBC.

-t
I don't believe in religion but for this time, I hope your right.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2011, 06:31 PM

amazing how completely delusional these folks are. Here's another tweet:

Westboro Baptist to picket Steve Jobs’ funeral, church members tweet via iPhone | Hot Topics | an SFGate.com blog

The iPhone-wielding Westboro members seemed unable to find any irony in their embrace of the technology of a man they condemn. One church member even suggested that God was using Jobs to help advance the message of Westboro Baptist Church: “God used Steve Jobs to create amazing STUFF for WBC to preach,” wrote Shirley Phelps-Roper.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 06:36 PM

I just checked out the site for the first time, I'm speechless...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2011, 06:50 PM

The idiots who exist in this day and age never cease to amaze me. These ones are less hateful, but every bit as stupid:

Steve Jobs dead at 56, his life ended prematurely by chemotherapy and radiotherapy for cancer
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Person Man
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2011, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Athens View Post
Westboro Baptist Church plan picket funeral of Steve Jobs • The Register

Every Mac fan should go protest these idiots. Talk about no tact at all. I didn't post this in POL because its not something that is really debatable, I can't see any one on here being supportive on protesting funerals. I just can't believe some people.

I've been some what dismissive of anti Steve Job posts all day because it was expected. But the idea of this upsets me. Not just Steve. The group have done this at other funerals as well. The very notion of protesting at any ones funeral is a upsetting concept.
They'll have to find the funeral first. The fact that Jobs was a very private person is well known, and his family will be keeping the details of where and when his funeral will be as closely guarded as Apple keeps its own secrets.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 07:55 PM

I dunno about that. As having family members that went through Chemo, in the end of a 3 year battle the treatment was as every bit devastating as the cancer itself. Its hard to prove because you can't do a real control study on it because every single person is different. Would Subject A live 3 years with less Chemo, 1 year with no Chemo, 2 Years with aggressive Chemo? Would subject B live 10 years with no Chemo but only 5 with Chemo.

AZT is the most modern example of a drug that today has been proving to have been a killer treatment. Its widely accepted that the massive number of HIV deaths in the 80s and early 90's was linked to how toxic AZT was. As soon as it was stopped or reduced the death rate dropped. I didn't read the entire article but I wouldn't blast it just on the premise that the cancer treatment killed him early. It very well could have. But we don't even know what killed him yet. A lot of doctors are saying it was most likely liver rejection because the time frame fits for that.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2011, 08:22 PM

Every Mac fan reasonable person should go protest these idiots.
Fixed that for ya.

andi*pandi
Oct 6, 2011, 08:29 PM

I think the best revenge on them is mockery. I love it when people hijack their protests with clever signs. In this case I'd say a crowd of people holding their ipod/ipad's up high, blasting the beatles, would be pretty awesome.

Protesting a funeral is just in horrible taste no matter your politics.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 6, 2011, 09:39 PM

I dunno about that. As having family members that went through Chemo, in the end of a 3 year battle the treatment was as every bit devastating as the cancer itself. Its hard to prove because you can't do a real control study on it because every single person is different. Would Subject A live 3 years with less Chemo, 1 year with no Chemo, 2 Years with aggressive Chemo? Would subject B live 10 years with no Chemo but only 5 with Chemo.

AZT is the most modern example of a drug that today has been proving to have been a killer treatment. Its widely accepted that the massive number of HIV deaths in the 80s and early 90's was linked to how toxic AZT was. As soon as it was stopped or reduced the death rate dropped. I didn't read the entire article but I wouldn't blast it just on the premise that the cancer treatment killed him early. It very well could have. But we don't even know what killed him yet. A lot of doctors are saying it was most likely liver rejection because the time frame fits for that.
I see where you are coming from but AZT was only ever a delaying tactic. Chemo/radiotherapy actually cures people. Its not guaranteed but if you have something worth living for then it beats giving up in my book. The idiots on that page don't advocate any viable alternative other than just giving up and dying. This in itself would be understandable if they seemed to be saying that its simply to have one good, comfortable year rather than two or three with a good dose of agony, but they actually seem to be annoyed that Steve died. Its as if they are claiming there is ann alternative without mentioning anything specific except for the occasional bits of quackery posted in the comments.
The articles author is a quack, exploiting the gullible and the stupid by feeding them lies in the guise of truth and enlightenment and he is just cashing in unscrupulously on Steve's death to make a quick buck and giving people dreadful and dangerous advice at the same time. Eating fruit might help prevent cancer but it isn't going to cure it. Same goes for Brazil nuts.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 09:50 PM

I haven't taking the time to read the article yet will later. I don't think Steve was on Chemo anyways because you can't treat pancreatic cancer with Chemo. I really think it was something related to his Liver sadly we may never know.

On a different note about Cancer, current treatment for Cancer might be flawed. I've been reading up a lot about cancer ever since my Aunte died of it years ago, a few pets, a politician I idled and now Steve. Some of the most interesting stuff I've seen is it being a immune system problem. At any point in our lives we have cancer cells in our body. They are always there early on in life until death. Its just a natural part of cell division and mutation along with environmental damage. Conventional thinking has always been that it develops, and treating meant removing and killing it. Some radical ideas are not pointing to a failure in the immune system which allows cancer cells to grow and take over. Environment plays big part as well of course. A smoker is causing way more cellure damage resulting in many more cancer cells then a non smoker. A smokers immune system works harder clearing out the damage cells. Anyways my point is that all the research has been fighting the cancer instead of fixing the immune systems failure to keep doing its job with cancer cells. Maybe in our life time the cure for cancer will be developed that fixes all cancer by fixing the issue with the immune system if it ends up being that.

As it stands now Cancer is the biggest killer, and most of us will probably have to deal with it personally at some point in our lives. I think we waste a lot of resources on other conditions which kill a lot less people.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Oct 6, 2011, 11:22 PM

I doubt they'll have it any place that the WBC can reach. He'll likely be cremated, and may even wait to have the ashes entombed under the new Apple headquarters.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
I doubt they'll have it any place that the WBC can reach. He'll likely be cremated, and may even wait to have the ashes entombed under the new Apple headquarters.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 6, 2011, 11:39 PM

he was a buddhist so i agree he would probably be cremated

Andy8
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2011, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by ironknee View Post
he was a buddhist so i agree he would probably be cremated
Exactly.

CRASH HARDDRIVE
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 05:20 AM

As if it needed to be further proven that these freaks are doing nothing but attention-whoring, and then running to hide behind the 1st amendment any time someone tries to see if they can "out legal maneuver" their constitutional rights.

They're nothing but professional abusers of free speech-for profit, and as said, always target the highest profile situations and figures they can for maximum effect.

I know it's next to impossible- but the last thing these clowns want is for people just to ignore them , not play into their trap.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 06:23 AM

They should turn his ashes into a diamond and make a piece of jewellery that the Apple CEO has to wear.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 06:51 AM

@Athens - Cancer isn't really a single disease, its an entire family of very similar but technically different conditions. The most basic definition is that it is an 'unnatural' (undesirable and harmful may be a better description) growth which will not stop growing and may spread elsewhere in the body.

It happens when the DNA in one or more cells gets damaged. This can be caused by a failure to replicate properly or direct damage from particles or radiation. There are a variety of substances known to increase the risk of this damage called carcinogens.
Cells get damaged all the time. The DNA in the nuclei of cells gets damaged all the time. Evolution has provided us with lots of 'junk' DNA which can withstand being damaged with no ill effect ill effect to you as a result. Sometimes however, a strand of DNA will be damaged in such a way that the cell no longer divides and replicates according its original programming. This can result in it growing out of control and eventually into a tumour. Every cell in the tumour will usually contain the same damaged DNA as the original damaged cell and if some of those new cells break off of the tumour for whatever reason, they can be distributed throughout the body, lodge in various other organs or systems and continue growing into more tumours.
There are different ways that DNA can be damaged which will cause differences in the tumours produced. There isn't one single vulnerable spot on a given DNA strand, there are numerous weak points which results in tumours that grow faster or slower, are more or less likely to spread and various other characteristics which are used to differentiate one cancer from another. The type of the original affected cell will also make a difference as you would expect.

Sometimes these cancerous cells will be damaged in such a way that the immune system will deal with them. Given that there are not going to be any health effects as a result of such cells it is difficult to know how often this actually happens, perhaps it happens very frequently as you suggest, but since these are ultimately your own cells which are killing you, there will always be at least a few types that your immune system will fail to recognise as a threat. Its tricky.

The most hopeful looking research I've seen is focused on ways of marking cancer cells so that the immune system will recognise them as a undesirable and remove them. I read a study not so long ago that looked to me very promising indeed. You need to customise the treatment for each patient but thats to be expected to some extent. Probably means it will be expensive though.

Conventional treatments by contrast are more of a carpet bombing approach, particularly chemo. Radiotherapy is actually highly targeted these days but between the two, the idea is that you basically try to kill everything within a certain proximity to the tumour(s) and hope there is enough healthy tissues left when you're done for the patient to recover.

The problem with the site I linked to is that they are a bunch of idiot hippies who are unshakeably married to the romantic notion that somewhere there is a miracle berry in the rainforest that will cure every ill known to man the second you eat one. They also seem obsessed with the idea that people who lived thousands of years ago (and died at an average age in their 30s with no teeth left and a laundry list of other health complaints) somehow knew more about the human body and how to fix it when it breaks than billions of man hours of systematic research and learning that has gone into modern medicine. Its just intellectual laziness and ignorance which would be fine if it didn't have obviously harmful consequences for the poor fools who are suckered into thinking they can cure cancer by eating fresh fruit and vegetables instead of getting chemo and radiotherapy instead.
Several of them are even promoting an institute where you go to eat fresh fruit & veg to cure your cancer. Why would anyone need an institute for that? A leaflet would more than suffice. It makes me want to become a psychic/medium/astrologer/lifestyle guru and just fleece these imbeciles of as much money as possible...

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 7, 2011, 06:56 AM

The above should also serve to explain how people who eat nothing but organic food and do nothing but yoga and meditation can still get cancer while there are people who smoke 40 a day, drink like fish and a high fat, high in red meat diet who live to be 120. It really is a lottery. A really crappy one.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 12:31 PM

If your a Star Trek fan this will make sense. Its a good thing our society has not become as capitalistic as the Ferengi. We would be buying special edition iPods with a little of Steve inside each one for like $20 000 each.

screener
Senior User
Oct 8, 2011, 05:19 AM

Originally Posted by andi*pandi View Post
I think the best revenge on them is mockery.
Revenge?
A bit harsh but okay, mockery works for me although those being mocked sometimes tend to ignore the laughter and carry on with the the stupidity.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2011, 06:29 AM

If your a Star Trek fan this will make sense. Its a good thing our society has not become as capitalistic as the Ferengi. We would be buying special edition iPods with a little of Steve inside each one for like $20 000 each.
This did occur to me too, though not the connection to the Ferengi.

Remember the old SE cases that had everyone's signatures inside? They could put Steve's ashes in some kind of resin and make a case for the Mac which runs the new Siri-based virtual Steve to sit on the board as mentioned earlier.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 8, 2011, 06:39 AM

A part of me would love to see a couple of hundred thousand rabid Apple fanboys just charge the picketers. Enough of them that they couldn't work out who to sue.

I'm actually kind of surprised that people haven't found more inventive ways of discouraging them. Can you be sued for squirting people with water guns or throwing water balloons? Filled with piss?

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 8, 2011, 01:17 PM

The saddest part about the supposed 'church' is how they involve their children with holding up hate signs.

Athens  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2011, 02:23 PM

Very sad for the kids.

ironknee
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 8, 2011, 11:07 PM

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Oct 9, 2011, 08:29 AM

He did a follow up on them a bit later on too.

Forum Links
Forum Rules