Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > 30" Cinema Display sizing tool

30" Cinema Display sizing tool
Nugget
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2005, 12:31 PM

I was bored on a conference call this morning so I threw together this little Javascript page which compares the screen resolution of the Apple 30" Cinema Display to other common display sizes. When I was shopping for my PowerMac I managed to stumble across a jpeg that someone had made which compared the size of the 15" PowerBook display to the 30" display and I found that seeing the visual comparison made a very compelling argument. I thought that a more general purpose utility might be useful to someone.

http://slacker.com/cinema.php

Really it's mostly useless, but perhaps you'll have as much fun diddling with it as I had in making it.

osxisfun
May 27, 2005, 01:28 PM

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 27, 2005, 02:47 PM

Heh, it's missing 512x342 like the old black-and-white cube Macs, and 512x384 for the 12" color RGB display, and remember that some iBooks were just 800x600, as were many old PowerBooks. :-P

Hehe, no, it's cool.

tooki

Nugget  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2005, 03:08 PM

I'd only planned to add current hardware, but I love the idea of having the original Macintosh as an option. Added, along with the Apple ][ for good measure.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 03:29 PM

Those things are nuts. Hows your neck a few weeks later? Sore from turning back and forth?

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 04:41 PM

Way cool !

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by chris v
Those things are nuts. Hows your neck a few weeks later? Sore from turning back and forth?
I love mine!
And I thought I'd be moving my head all over, too, but it's really not that bad at all.

ZXspectrum
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 01:48 AM

Lee33
Dedicated MacNNer
May 28, 2005, 08:53 AM

Very cool, Nigget. Thanks for posting that.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 28, 2005, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by ZXspectrum
Ditto.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2005, 02:12 AM

wow.

You think 1280x1024 is big till you look at that.

-Owl

Rev-O
Mac Elite
May 29, 2005, 12:31 PM

Originally Posted by Cadaver
I love mine!
And I thought I'd be moving my head all over, too, but it's really not that bad at all.
I agree. I found myself moving my head side to side like I was watching a flippin tennis match at first, and losing my cursor constantly, for about the first week. Then I got used to it, and it doesn't bother me at all.
The really scary thing is, I've gooten so used to the 30" display, It doesn't even seem that big anymore. Then I plop my 12" iBook down next to it and think "Great Googly-Moogly! This thing is huge!"
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
May 29, 2005, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Rev-O
The really scary thing is, I've gooten so used to the 30" display, It doesn't even seem that big anymore. Then I plop my 12" iBook down next to it and think "Great Googly-Moogly! This thing is huge!"
Hehe... totally true. I've gotten so used to this thing that I didn't realize until a couple days ago that I had a browser window open to 1600x1200 pixels, plus a few other windows, and couldn't figure out why I was running out of space on the screen.

Forum Links
Forum Rules