Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > 'The Empire Strikes Back' turns 30 today

'The Empire Strikes Back' turns 30 today
starman
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2010, 08:28 AM

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2010, 08:38 AM

I'm somewhat sorry I wasn't even born yet and didn't get to experience Empire in its original glory in theaters. . .
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 21, 2010 at 08:47 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2010, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
I'm somewhat sorry I wasn't even born yet and didn't get to experience Empire in its original glory. . .
This post surprises me. I always thought you were quite a bit older than me, but obviously you can’t be.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2010, 09:02 AM

Heh. I'm surprised that my age is even of note to you. I assume it's my politics that would cause some here to assume I'm older than I actually am. Am I correct? (Or is it just my relatively ancient Oct 2000 registration date? )

We should have a poll. I bet a large percentage of us were too young for theaters or not born before Empire's release.
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 21, 2010 at 09:25 AM. )

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2010, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Oisín View Post
This post surprises me. I always thought you were quite a bit older than me, but obviously you can’t be.
Ditto...
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2010, 09:07 AM

I had no idea I'd be sharing such an apparently remarkable revelation in this thread. I think I've mentioned my age at least once, and I've referenced the fact that I'm not too many years out of college. I didn't realize the subject was that much of a mystery.

So who else regrets being too young for Empire's original release?
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 21, 2010 at 09:18 AM. )

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2010, 09:26 AM

^ I’m not sure I’d say I regret it as such. I like the movies, but I liked it just as well in 1989 as I would have in 1980, I guess. Watching movies in the cinema has never really been much of a priority or concern for me.

Heh. I'm surprised that my age is even of note to you. I assume it's my politics that would cause some here to assume I'm older than I actually am. Am I correct?
Probably, yes. That and the interest in/knowledge about scripture and things like that, which (for some inexplicable reason) sort of ‘clashes’ a little in my head with being in one’s 20s. And perhaps the PPC thing, too.

Wasn’t really a ‘mystery’, in my own little mental image of you, I’d just always pictured you as somewhere in your mid-to-late thirties or thereabouts.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 09:40 AM

So who else regrets being too young for Empire's original release?
Geez, I regret admitting to being old enough to have seen all of them in the theater when originally released. Seeing Empire was exciting because of the anticipation - waiting all those years after Star Wars put a spell on me. But Star Wars was the most exciting imo, never saw anything like that before.

But I do regret seeing Phantom Menace in the theatre. Yeah, definitely regret that.
( Last edited by osiris; May 21, 2010 at 09:52 AM. )
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2010, 09:40 AM

Well, thank you Oisin and Lateralus for the compliment of assuming I was older than I am. (I'll take it as a compliment. ) And thank you for the compliment regarding my knowledge of various subjects. I think I actually believed the same about you possibly being older (than I), Oisin, because of your comprehensive knowledge of languages. However, being rather young and online when the Internet came on the scene, and passing for being much older at that time, I learned by experience not to assume things about the ages of others online.

I feel like I missed out on Empire and ANH specifically because everyone who got to see them originally in theaters talks about what an amazing experience it was. I also think our generation in particular missed out to a degree because for me during my childhood the trilogy was more of a faint memory than something concrete. I'd occasionally see the films in poor quality on local TV, I think, but aside from that I didn't really get acquainted with them until the Special Edition re-releases.
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 21, 2010 at 10:08 AM. )

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 09:48 AM

Off topic (kinda) but did anyone see this: Upcoming 'Star Wars: The Battle for Hoth' Tower Defense Game Sounds Great | Touch Arcade

starwars themed tower defense game? I didn't get into the genre until PvZ, but think I would be down with this. IT's probably really fun until the at-at shows up.

Person Man
Professional Poster
May 21, 2010, 10:11 AM

We should have a poll. I bet a large percentage of us were too young for theaters or not born before Empire's release.
I was almost 2 in 1977 when Star Wars was released, and almost 5 when Empire Strikes Back was released. Wasn't even interested in Return of the Jedi when it came out in 1983, though many of my friends were nuts over it.

I never saw any of the original three Star Wars films until I was 18, when a group of people in my college dorm did a marathon showing of all three movies (VHS) on the little 20 inch television in the common room at midnight. I got dragged to it when a buddy heard I'd never seen them.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 21, 2010, 10:14 AM

Ewoks are lame.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Ewoks are lame.
But taste good when not over cooked.

Oisín
Moderator Emeritus
May 21, 2010, 10:20 AM

I think I actually believed the same about you possibly being older (than I), Oisin, because of your comprehensive knowledge of languages.
This has been said of me before (someone was very surprised about five years ago to find that I was only 21 or 22; he’d thought I was nearly 60!), so I guess I should have learnt by now not to makes assumptions about age, either. I suppose it just comes very naturally, without thinking. You kind of automatically set up a ‘personality’ for people online, and that tends to include an approximate age.

(And what’s an at-at?! Post-google edit: Oh, those things. Didn’t know they were called AT-ATs. We usually call them elephants.)

andi*pandi
May 21, 2010, 10:43 AM

I don't remember seeing Star Wars in the theater, but I remember being excited to see Empire. Me and my cousins went.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 21, 2010, 10:43 AM

In your bell bottoms.

-Q-
May 21, 2010, 10:55 AM

Saw them all in the theatre. Now get off my lawn.

ort888
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 10:58 AM

I was 6 when it came out. Do the math...

My sig is 1 pixel too big.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 21, 2010, 11:05 AM

You can't make me.

ceAvision
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 21, 2010, 11:05 AM

Pac-Man is 30 today too.

jokell82
Professional Poster
May 21, 2010, 11:07 AM

I was born after this was released but before Jedi. Empire is still my favorite movie of all time.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2010, 11:26 AM

My mum was 12 when Empire came out.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 21, 2010, 11:37 AM

I paid a whole buck fitty to see Star Wars in the theater the week it came out. Amazing movie back then. Saw the rest in the theater, as well. Yeah, I feel old.

Eug
Clinically Insane
May 21, 2010, 12:18 PM

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2010, 12:51 PM

Ewoks are lame.
Wrong Star Wars film.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 21, 2010, 12:54 PM

Post above mine.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2010, 01:42 PM

Oh. Well I still want you to be wrong. Go post in the wrong forum.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 02:13 PM

But they still taste good.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
I was born after this was released but before Jedi. Empire is still my favorite movie of all time.
You should see more movies.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 21, 2010, 04:21 PM

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
May 21, 2010, 07:48 PM

I've not seen the original star wars. Must be the age.

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
May 21, 2010, 07:57 PM

Ewoks are lame.
Ugnoughts are lame.

I saw Empire in the theatre as a kid. Was truly amazed.

Little things about it bug me today. Flyings from Hoth to Bespin without hyperdrive isn't possible. And how does learning handstands and running thru the swamp make you able to fight toe-to-toe with Darth Vader? And when, exactly, were Yoda and Obi-Wan planning on telling Luke the truth about Vader?

Of course, these complaints are on the same level as complaints about midichlorians and CGI and gungans, but I have to hear about the latter all the time while the OT are upheld as perfect cinema.

My favorite OT-PT link is the torture of Han and the torture of Shmi. The latter informed Vader how to use the former to lure Luke.

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 21, 2010, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Saw them all in the theatre. Now get off my lawn.
me too; you old fart

residentEvil
Professional Poster
May 21, 2010, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by ceAvision View Post
Pac-Man is 30 today too.
someone already corrected you/that, with the right date. tomorrow. but still, close enough. Google to play.

ghporter
Administrator
May 22, 2010, 11:11 AM

I saw the original trilogy in theaters, pretty close to their release dates. I had just graduated from high school when my brother and I went to a HUGE theater to see Star Wars. When the star destroyer rumbled overhead, I knew that I was in for a really different sort of experience. My wife and I saw Empire pretty close to its release date, and it remains our favorite of the original trilogy. And I won tickets to the opening showing of Jedi, so I took off work and we saw the very first showing of the film in Austin. That was pretty cool.

I have only seen Phantom Menace and Clones in the theater, though I have all three of the prequels on DVD. For what its worth, my son (now 22) says that "Revenge of the Sith" made him "forgive George Lucas for inventing Jar-Jar Binks." I think that says a lot.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Railroader
Banned
May 22, 2010, 12:44 PM

I saw all of the original releases back in the theaters. My mom used to drop me and my brother off at a theater in a mall and shop (I was only 6 when Ep. IV was released) while we watched the movies. We probably saw them 6 or 7 times each.

Related to the thread:

Ewoks are lame.
Blasphemy! No, you are correct.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
May 22, 2010, 12:45 PM

Ha ha. No love for Jar Jar?

My mom and I pulled out TPM a few weeks ago, we couldn't make it through. As a big Star Wars fan, I sort of had a WTF moment. And then I tried to watch AOTC. Even worse. Revenge of the Sith is so well done though, apart from a few issues of dialogue. It's a pity because I feel that the prequels established a lot technologically for films, just as the originals did. But characters such as Jar Jar and the terrible puppet Yoda of Episode I really dirty the experience.

scottiB
Professional Poster
May 22, 2010, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
My mum was 12 when Empire came out.
I was thirteen.

Which means, imitchellg5, I am old enough to be......your father.

reader50
Administrator
May 22, 2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by scottiB View Post
I was thirteen.

Which means, imitchellg5, I am old enough to be......your father.
If you will also admit to serving the Dark Side, the circle will now be complete.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 22, 2010, 03:36 PM

Here's some trivia for ya. Anyone know what Return of the Jedi used to be called before it was changed?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2010, 03:53 PM

You mean the "Revenge of the Jedi" line that was all over the preliminary posters?

James L
Mac Elite
May 22, 2010, 04:12 PM

A comedian's thoughts on the prequels, and killing George Lucas with a shovel:

YouTube - At Midnight I Will Kill George Lucas With A Shovel

placebo1969
Grizzled Veteran
May 22, 2010, 04:43 PM

I saw the original Star Wars movie in the theater when I was 8. It was the first movie I ever saw.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 22, 2010, 05:13 PM

^ Same.

I was slightly younger, though.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2010, 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by ceAvision View Post
Pac-Man is 30 today too.
Yeah, that surprised me to find out that they both came out this weekend.
Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
You mean the "Revenge of the Jedi" line that was all over the preliminary posters?
Incidentally, Revisionist George Lucas History claims that he never intended it to be called Revenge; it was just titled that way to appease the studio for a period of time and maybe throw some people off.
( Last edited by Big Mac; May 23, 2010 at 09:33 AM. )

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 23, 2010, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Spheric Harlot View Post
Yeah, i didn't think anyone was old enough to remember that. A friend of mine in school wrote a trivia book about Star Wars and was given that poster by George Lucas. He still has it. Pretty cool.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2010, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by ctt1wbw View Post
Yeah, i didn't think anyone was old enough to remember that. A friend of mine in school wrote a trivia book about Star Wars and was given that poster by George Lucas. He still has it. Pretty cool.
I thought the thread made it clear that a good number of us are old enough to have seen them all in the theatre.

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
May 23, 2010, 10:03 AM

You saw Revenge of the Jedi in the theater?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 23, 2010, 10:11 AM

When it came out and had received its final title, yes.

ghporter
Administrator
May 23, 2010, 10:41 AM

Yeah, that surprised me to find out that they both came out this weekend.

Incidentally, Revisionist George Lucas History claims that he never intended it to be called Revenge; it was just titled that way to appease the studio for a period of time and maybe throw some people off.
Empire was aimed at release on the same weekend as Star Wars to help cash in on the fans. It wasn't needed, but it didn't hurt.

And George will have a hard time getting past the stuff in the special features of the original trilogy boxed set (the "upgraded" special edition set), because the documentary about the original films is full of "the third film was going to be titled 'Revenge' until near release." Yes, it would not be in keeping with the Jedi philosophy to do anything for revenge, but the production was aimed at that title until very near release. Fortunately "Return" fits on the posters almost exactly the way "Revenge" does, so it didn't take a lot of effort to fix the ads and posters.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules