Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Lion: Timemachine Slow Backup

Lion: Timemachine Slow Backup
mkerr64
Senior User
Oct 7, 2011, 02:20 PM

Hi there

I have a Mac Pro quad and I have been always been backing up all of my information on my drobo (8tb) and since i got Lion, the backup is taking forever. 1hr: 32kb and so on... prior to this it was preparing backup for 8 hrs.
i did verify the disk and also repaired it (disk utility)

any idea why this might be happening and what are my options to solve this issue?
( Last edited by mkerr64; Oct 7, 2011 at 02:30 PM. )
R.I.P Steve Jobs

macshome
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2011, 04:51 PM

If you want to gather a ton of diagnostic info on Time Machine run the tmdiagnose command…

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 7, 2011, 04:57 PM

Did you just upgrade to Lion? I think the first backup is a completely new one. Otherwise, it should work normally. I've been on Lion two months now and I also use a Drobo over USB 2. It works as well as it did with Snow Leopard.

gansan
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 7, 2011, 05:27 PM

I have noticed one main thing about Lion Time Machine compared to Snow Leopard:

If you put your computer to sleep while time machine is trying to do a backup, when you next wake it up, your wifi connection will not be restored until time machine finishes aborting and cleaning up it's interrupted backup attempt. This seems to take 30-60 seconds.

Regular backups seem to go fast enough.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Oct 7, 2011, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by macshome View Post
If you want to gather a ton of diagnostic info on Time Machine run the tmdiagnose command…
I don't think i would be able to analyze the info myself

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
Did you just upgrade to Lion? I think the first backup is a completely new one. Otherwise, it should work normally. I've been on Lion two months now and I also use a Drobo over USB 2. It works as well as it did with Snow Leopard.
I have had Lion for the last month or so (when it came out) and since then i haven't used Timemachine. i've tried multiple attempts but no success, i googled and everything but no such luck. Thus why i posted it here
Drobo is using firewire 800
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Sebastien
Oct 8, 2011, 12:07 AM

I've noticed the same problem, but in my case I use a WD My Book Live for the backups; one thing that really bothers me is that at some point during the backup, the machine will become completely unresponsive - trying to launch an app will cause its icon to bounce until the backup completes, whenever that might be. However I'm not completely sure if it's really only Lion that is at fault...

In order to support Lion's Time Machine, the WD MBL needed a firmware upgrade, namely for the open source Netatalk package, which provides the AFP functionality needed to support Time Machine. This package is the same that is used for a lot of NAS devices since they're all mostly built on top of Linux and make use of Netatalk. I think Netatalk's latest implementation of AFP might also be to blame here.

The reason I think it's part of the problem is that my other computers, both Snow Leopard machines, also started exhibiting this slowness, something that didn't happen before the MBL update (and obviously Lion doesn't come into play there). Prior to the MBL update backups were always quick and problem-free.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Oct 8, 2011, 12:26 AM

Lion f*cked up TM. It's a known problem.

22 pages and counting at Apple Discussions:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

Only reliable solution: go to manual backups, until Apple fixes this. 10.7.2 hopefully has a solution.

-t

MagiMac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 8, 2011, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

Only reliable solution: go to manual backups, until Apple fixes this. 10.7.2 hopefully has a solution.

-t
I use Alsoft Disk Warrior to do daily repairs on both of my TM backup drives (internal and external), both show directory damage from TM which is not reflected in the source drive. The main symptom of the TM drive corruption is slowdowns and other weird behaviour. Let's hope Apple fixes this one fast.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Oct 8, 2011, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by turtle777 View Post

-t
Yeah I went through it and didn't find a true solution other than that manual time machine app

I am almost there:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/24/timen.png/

ok, so i guess this is a common problem with Lion and its not just affecting me.
I hope their update comes out soon!

Update:
I reformatted and it works fine.
( Last edited by mkerr64; Oct 26, 2011 at 10:43 PM. )
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Forum Links
Forum Rules