Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 69)
P
Nov 15, 2013, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Did you catch this though: PS4 Teardown Reveals An Extra 2Gb Of DDR3 RAM, Universal Power Supply

People suspect this is for the streaming/game capture, and it's how the PS4 can do 15 min and isn't as juddery as the X1s. Well played, Sony.
Given where it is placed on the motherboard, I think it is RAM for the secondary low-power processor (yellow in the teardown pics).
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2013, 01:56 PM

So, either it takes 6+ hours to get from an amazon warehouse to UPS HQ or UPS' tracking system is being hit so hard that I can't get updates on my PS4 anymore.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2013, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
The standard is very clear: They are completely compatible in both directions. In practice this doesn't always mean that it works (try using an SSD with a Sandforce 1200 controller with Intel's latest 8-series chipset, for instance - fails because the old Sandforce drive doesn't follow the standard completely) but even that should not be an issue here. Both consoles use standard AMD south bridges this time around, so it should even be a standard SATA controller that has shipped in a few million PCs already. It's of course possible that Sony has somehow managed to mess up the driver, but there is no increased risk from going with SATA III over SATA II.

Yes, but only marginally - 2.5" drives run extremely cool these days in general. If you're worried about heat, make it a habit to clean out the vent grilles regularly instead - that's what usually kills electronics.
I'm giving you a digital hug right now.

Or if you prefer, a firm handshake and nod of the head.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 15, 2013, 02:05 PM

So, either it takes 6+ hours to get from an amazon warehouse to UPS HQ or UPS' tracking system is being hit so hard that I can't get updates on my PS4 anymore.
I'm going to guess it's the latter.

I'm not just being optimistic — Amazon has never let me down, but I've had trouble getting a solid UPS track on several occasions.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2013, 02:11 PM

This wouldn't matter so much if tomorrow was a weekday, but I'm going to want to know soon whether its going to make it in time for me to pick up at the sorting facility today or if I'm taking Monday off.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2013, 02:23 PM

App finally refreshed and says UPS was now alerted at 8 AM (as opposed to it still listing 6 AM on amazon's site).

This is going to be a long day, let alone weekend.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 15, 2013, 03:02 PM

Geez, you'd think Dakar is as excited as a fat kid that's about to eat some candy.

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 15, 2013, 03:05 PM

Mine is out for delivery to me at my job here. I think I'm gonna slide out of here early when it gets here. LOL

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 15, 2013, 04:07 PM

Finally got a new update. Its def not making it to the depot near me tonight. See you guys Monday.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 15, 2013, 04:10 PM

Can someone with access to a PS4, please plug in a USB drive(FAT32) with some h.264 video and aac audio and tell me if the PS4 plays them? I'm really surprised at the lack of information from any of the online publications regarding the media capabilities!

EDIT:CNet just confirmed that the PS4 WILL NOT read any files off any external USB storage (The only exception being in safe mode for system updates).
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 15, 2013 at 05:55 PM. )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2013, 03:46 PM

I'm watching a friend play Black Flag at the moment. This is not a next-gen game.

People disappear, textures pop in at very close distances, and it generally looks like a PS3 game running at a higher resolution. Not impressed.

FIFA, however, looks amazing. The animations alone are light years beyond.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Nov 16, 2013, 03:50 PM

Also, if you guys haven't seen Jimmy Fallon's video demoing Playroom, it was almost enough to make my impressionable self pick up a PlayStation Camera: Jimmy Fallon Demos the PS4 (YouTube)

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 16, 2013, 08:28 PM

There seems to be an unusually large number of 1-star reviews on Amazon 33% at the moment), most of whom have commented that the system they received was DOA. Not sure about the validity of that.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Nov 17, 2013, 01:57 AM

Yeah it's sounds like a few PS4s are having the blue ring of death. What is Dakar going to call this. The gen 4 curse? Lol

At least Sony replaces them.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Nov 17, 2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
There seems to be an unusually large number of 1-star reviews on Amazon 33% at the moment), most of whom have commented that the system they received was DOA. Not sure about the validity of that.
I was reading the reviews and most were pretty detailed so i can't imagine that being fabricated. Some of the reviewers were saying that Sony stores would replace Amazon shipped PS4's, but that could be a rumor as well as I can't see them having anything more than pre-orders in stock right now.

Lets just hope this is a small sample of bad consoles and not on a larger scale.

I'm still going to wait until there are more games worth purchasing. The launch titles aren't enough to make me leave the 360 yet. Besides, being an early adopter to a new console these days can be discouraging with the potential issues at hand.

Also it's a little disappointing the PS4 doesn't support MP3 or Audio CD playback. Is it true as well that you can't stream music or movies to it from your PC? If so, I hope they fix this.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2013, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I'm watching a friend play Black Flag at the moment. This is not a next-gen game.

People disappear, textures pop in at very close distances, and it generally looks like a PS3 game running at a higher resolution. Not impressed.

FIFA, however, looks amazing. The animations alone are light years beyond.
I remember playing Burnout 4 on the 360 after having played it on the PS2. It was a little sharper and a bit smoother but it was nothing to write home about. Bottom line is we won't get that wow difference until we start getting those games made with current gen as the baseline.

Completely valid. Early adopters are the more enthusiastic crowd so of course they'll be more motivated to leave bad feedback if the product takes a shit on them (In addition to the general rule that people are more likely to leave negative feedback). As for the people with working consoles, I imagine they're too excited for their first weekend using the damn thing to leave feedback.

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Yeah it's sounds like a few PS4s are having the blue ring of death. What is Dakar going to call this. The gen 4 curse? Lol

At least Sony replaces them.
Easy there, killer. There's no such thing as a failure rate of zero. People don't realize it but a percentage of people getting a launch day PS4 are going to get a lemon. This isn't a ten 4 curse. It's simple math.

---

PlayStation®4 Sales Surpass 1 Million Units In North America In 24 Hours -- TOKYO, Nov. 17, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --

Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. (SCE) today announced that the highly anticipated launch of the PlayStation®4 (PS4™) computer entertainment system resulted in 1 million units sold through during the first 24 hours after it became available on November 15, 2013 in the United States and Canada.
Supposedly its the best launch for them ever. I have no idea what other Day 1 launch sales were like. Also use this number for perspective when looking at those hardware issues. Of course, we're barely a weekend in.

BTW, this puts some pressure on MS to make 1 million in sales on its launch day. Good luck with that.

---

So according to NeoGAF, you can use the voice commands without the camera, all you need to do is a plug a headset into the controller and the mic in it will listen. Clutch if true.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2013, 02:56 PM

Someone posted this on NeoGAF, FWIW

Playstation 4 - 24hr - over 1 million console sold
PS2 took 3 days to ship 1 million units,
Wii U - 1 week(168hr) - 400 000 console sold
Wii - 8 days(192hr) - 600 000 console sold
Playstation 3 - 2 months - 1 million console sold
Xbox 360 - 2 weeks - 326,000 console sold

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 17, 2013, 03:28 PM

Once again, unsourced:

P
Nov 17, 2013, 06:25 PM

A device being DOA is actually a much smaller problem than one failing after a year. DOA, and you just go back with it and say "this no worky", and you either get your money back or a new device, no questions asked. If it fails after year, the likely option is that you did something you shouldn't, and it's only once it has been established that there really is a reliability issue that you might get a free replacement or your money back for the repair.

Also, this.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

P
Nov 17, 2013, 07:54 PM

Someone has done a dieshot of the PS4 SOC, and it turns out that there are 20 shader clusters with only 18 available. 99% certain that this is for yields (ie, they always disable two clusters, so they can use chips with two bad clusters - the same way cache is usually overprovisioned) but some true fanbois have seen how AMD is now selling all their GPUs (except the massive 290) without a harvested model and think that those clusters are there for Sony's internal use and they might be enabled later on.

Oh, and the audio system in the PS4 is apparently the same as what AMD is pushing in its latest GPU (TrueAudio). Which is nice for developers, I guess.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2013, 06:52 AM

Rumor: Foxconn Interns and Alleged PS4 Sabotage Claims

All very alleged and rumoured, but the duff PS4 systems may be down to Foxconn forcing students to intern at the factory for free, and the students not being happy about it, getting payback on the PS4 production.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2013, 09:59 AM

Completely valid. Early adopters are the more enthusiastic crowd so of course they'll be more motivated to leave bad feedback if the product takes a shit on them (In addition to the general rule that people are more likely to leave negative feedback). As for the people with working consoles, I imagine they're too excited for their first weekend using the damn thing to leave feedback.
Yeah i suppose people are more likely to post their negative experience than those with positive ones, so while there are so many negatives(1-star) there could be a whole bunch of positives we dont know about.

But anyway, it was a tremendous launch, and I suspect this generation will belong to the PS4. Of all the three, they nailed their strategy from the get go.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the PS3 has surpassed the XB360 in worldwide lifetime sales?

P
Nov 18, 2013, 10:41 AM

There was a news item earlier this year about how the PS3 passed, but that was VGChartz using its usual methodology. Officially, both Sony and MS have reported 80 million consoles sold, so they're essentially tied.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
Rumor: Foxconn Interns and Alleged PS4 Sabotage Claims

All very alleged and rumoured, but the duff PS4 systems may be down to Foxconn forcing students to intern at the factory for free, and the students not being happy about it, getting payback on the PS4 production.
Good lord, so far the PS4s aren't anywhere near a terrible failure rate, there's no need to roll out conspiracy theories.

Yeah i suppose people are more likely to post their negative experience than those with positive ones, so while there are so many negatives(1-star) there could be a whole bunch of positives we dont know about.

But anyway, it was a tremendous launch, and I suspect this generation will belong to the PS4. Of all the three, they nailed their strategy from the get go.

Incidentally, does anyone know if the PS3 has surpassed the XB360 in worldwide lifetime sales?
It's difficult to be certain since Sony and MS don't publish numbers at the same time, nor they consistently note shipped vs. sold, but I would expect the PS3 finally edges out the 360 by the end of the year. It's a notable come back, though I suspect the gap in NA is still staggering.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2013, 11:30 AM

That is pretty outstanding for a console which launched a year later at a higher price point. Kudos to Sony.

I'm still shocked at the PS4's (and even the XBone's) pricing.... 8-core x86 CPU, 8GB GDDR5 RAM..... try pricing a Mac with those specs!
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Nov 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM. )

P
Nov 18, 2013, 12:49 PM

The main SOC is roughly 400 mm2, which means that it's slightly smaller than the "Hawaii" GPU (AMD's latest) on the same process (435mm2). The cheapest card based on that is the R9-290 with 4GB GDDR5 RAM, which goes for $400. Both chips are partially disabled, which probably balances out (4CUs on 290, 2CUs and likely a bunch of cache on the PS4). Put that way, Sony has added a PSU, HDD, optical, 4GB GDDR5, a controller and a few bits and bobs like connectors and cables. Sony do save some on the slightly smaller chip and AMD likely has a rather massive profit margin on that GPU as well, but still, it's a chunk of extra hardware to include.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2013, 01:31 PM

Since the Xbox 360 is 8 years old, and the PS3 is 7 years old, what does that mean for the lifetime of the ONE and the PS4? With tablets and phones being updated daily (joke) to me there's a big risk if the large console makers aren't looking at shorter lifespans. Hell even car models get renewed quicker.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 01:53 PM

I should mention, the two hardware weak points I'm hearing referred to are the earbud is utter shit and the DS4s battery life is less than ideal.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 01:57 PM

That is pretty outstanding for a console which launched a year later at a higher price point. Kudos to Sony.
If you breakdown the numbers its pretty stark – MS crushed in NA and UK, Sony Europe. Given that Europe is roughly twice the pop as the US...

It's a little early to read into Sony selling 1 million consoles in the first day, but given the harsh outcry from the gaming public, I think it's a safe bet they'll be close with the One in NA at worst.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 02:07 PM

I forgot to mention, MS' launch is worldwide on the 22nd. Their paring down the number of launch countries was rumored to have been due to yield issues (they denied, of course). It leaves me thinking that with Sony concentrating on the NA release, it might physically impossible for MS to match that amount of hardware in NA on release day. What I'm more interested in is if any are left on shelves.

Given that I think Sony owes part of its staggering release on the fact that its been seven years since we saw new hardware, I think the One has a fair chance at selling out.

(Looking at previous debut hardware sales, I feel like almost all launches were supply constrained, and therefore the sales don't completely reflect demand. The one exception in the past two gen being: The $600 PS3, which was common on store shelves after its release. Not a good sign for the X1 which is following in its footsteps, price wise)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Since the Xbox 360 is 8 years old, and the PS3 is 7 years old, what does that mean for the lifetime of the ONE and the PS4? With tablets and phones being updated daily (joke) to me there's a big risk if the large console makers aren't looking at shorter lifespans. Hell even car models get renewed quicker.
Like I said, I think part of the PS4s staggering sales is that we're two years overdue. I'm not sure consumers want a two year console lifecycle, nor can the hardware or software developers afford that kind of constant turnaround (most games take two years to make), but I definitely think we'll be going back to the old 5 year cycle for the PS5 and Xbox None.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 02:15 PM

One thing that scarred the winding down of this gen is the press' apparent contrarianism.

Don’t read too much into the PS4’s million day-one sales | Ars Technica

Case in point, and I think it's P that like him, but Ben Kuchera's article in the wake of the MS DRM announcement ended up being utterly wrong.

The PA Report - Used games, Twitter complaints, and Sony: Why the Xbox One “backlash” doesn’t matter

I feel like the press has been tiptoeing around the obvious divide in fears of upsetting what I imagine is one of their biggest if not biggest advertiser. Example: The downplaying of resolution differences between the multiplatform titles.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 02:29 PM

Initial impressions: It's good to have a real D-PAD again. No, actually its epiphanic.

Oh good what's that sound?! Oh, right, silence. I haven't even noticed the thing make any noise other than restarting. It's installing BF4 right now and all I hear is a mild whirr.

If I'm motivated enough to work it out, does anyone want me to livestream BF4 tonight?

P
Nov 18, 2013, 02:49 PM

One thing that scarred the winding down of this gen is the press' apparent contrarianism.

Don’t read too much into the PS4’s million day-one sales | Ars Technica

Case in point, and I think it's P that like him, but Ben Kuchera's article in the wake of the MS DRM announcement ended up being utterly wrong.

The PA Report - Used games, Twitter complaints, and Sony: Why the Xbox One “backlash” doesn’t matter

I feel like the press has been tiptoeing around the obvious divide in fears of upsetting what I imagine is one of their biggest if not biggest advertiser. Example: The downplaying of resolution differences between the multiplatform titles.
There is some of that, yes. In particular I think they're avoiding piling on to avoid destroying relationships with MS. While Ars is correct about the 1 million sales in a day being logistics (I don't think I've ever seen a console being as hard to find as the Wii was its first Christmas, and it sold far less day 1), the article is still weird.

a) there is no reason to publish such piece unless you want to soothe MS

b) the fact that Sony had 1 million consoles on hand to ship in a single day implies that their production is going well, when rumors abound that MS is having problems - yet Ars doesn't ever touch on this.

And yes, Ben was wrong. He often is, actually. I still read him, but it's because of the reviews and the occasional inside baseball, not for the predictions.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2013, 03:24 PM

Pachter mentioned that each would be able to churn out about 1million per month on average, soon after release.

If both have the same manufacturing capacity, Microsoft might be spreading themselves too thin, leaving the NA market open to SONY. IMHO

Also, if i wanted to get a PS4 from an official retailer how do i go about it? BastBuy's, Amazon's and Target's website all show that they are sold out. Do i have to call each physical location and find out if they have stock? There's got to be a better way

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 03:44 PM

So I went to start BF4 but it told me I needed to update to play. This after sitting on my dashboard for an hour. Not any different from the 360, but since they tout auto updates I thought this would have already happened.

What is different from the 360 is the inability to pause or prioritize downloads. So now I have concurrent downloads slowing the update down.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2013, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by the final dakar View Post
if i'm motivated enough to work it out, does anyone want me to livestream bf4 tonight?
do it!

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

ajprice
Professional Poster
Nov 18, 2013, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
do it!
He's still downloading updates

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 05:00 PM

Initial impressions on BF4/PS4

I always advocated for CoD on this and jesus, it's twice as impressive in BF4: The framerate. Its buttery smooth and it is engrossing. It's a shame I don't think this translates over livestreams as well.

I will get a lot of hate for the next item: The left joystick. It is awful. Time will tell if the placement is truly counterintuitive, but for the time being it feels like a literal stretch to use. By default they have sprint set to hold and now I understand why – its difficult to click and hold L3 while using it. I immediately switched back to default.

Otherwise I like almost every other aspect of the controller. Face buttons are less jutty compared to the XBOX jellybeans, which is way more comfortable. In what is good timing, I've begun lamenting the 360 triggers as too "long" as I find myself death gripping them in GTA trying to max acceleration that is already maxed. The DS4 triggers are ergonomic smooth and feel efficient. Not too sudden, not too long.

The new start button (options) is easy to get used to. No issues there. Haven't had use for the click pad yet. As I said before, the D-PAD is excellent, if misplaced.

Load time: Like 10 secs, tops. Once the main menu had loaded the disc stopped spinning and all was silent in the world.

Fun times: I saw the option for motion which included lean and vehicle freecam. Oh my good lord. I was on a Quad and I couldn't look around – until I started moving my controller. In 60 fps its all the more disconcerting. Flying a helicopter was damn near impossible as my grip kept the controller off center on screen.

However, I tried it for leaning. I could never figure out how to use that in the 360 beta, but aww yiss, this has potential. (In the meantime, I switched freecam to hold button, which should alleviate my problems.

Graphics: Looks slightly sharper, detailed, etc. Standard fair. Smoke from explosions seems minimal thus far. Collapsed a building and I could see graphical jumps as it went through preset "levelutions". Looks dark ATM and not sure if its the map or my settings.

Oh yeah, was able to disable the battlelog in game.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2013, 05:05 PM

I don't approve of you putting 'I' in the thread title, but since you delve into detail for games I'll let it slip.

So, any games with 31 other players yet? (or is that coming later on)

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 05:15 PM

I don't approve of you putting 'I' in the thread title, but since you delve into detail for games I'll let it slip.

So, any games with 31 other players yet? (or is that coming later on)
Well that was incredibly easy to set up: Nilszero - Twitch

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 05:46 PM

My thumb already hurts from using L3. For all of two games. Ugh. I think I recall this from the PS2 days.

Anyway, I'm off for now, I'll leave a note when I resume broadcasting.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 06:50 PM

I don't approve of you putting 'I' in the thread title
?

---

I just realized my upload speed is so bad that watching me stream might be pointless. Mmmm that 480p PS4 action!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 08:35 PM

Broadcasting again now

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 18, 2013, 09:09 PM

Stupid chat won't load on my Air. My upload is why the quality is shit.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 18, 2013, 11:00 PM

And all this time I thought you were ignoring me. Chat works just fine on my iPad. Try downloading the TwitchTV app.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Nov 19, 2013, 12:03 AM

MacBook Air.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 19, 2013, 12:29 AM

BTW, how the hell did I not know about Twitch before today? What app are you using to stream your game sessions?

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Nov 19, 2013, 01:02 AM

P
Nov 19, 2013, 06:15 AM

Seriously considering getting a DS4 and using it as a PC gamepad.

Forum Links
Forum Rules