Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro Power Supply

Mac Pro Power Supply
mkerr64
Senior User
Nov 24, 2014, 04:25 PM

Hi there
I've got a 2010 Quad 2.66 GHz Mac Pro and I am thinking about upgrading my GT120 graphics card to a GTX 760 or 660. Currently inside the machine i've got 5 HDD and 1 SSD. I was wondering would the power supply offer enough power to all of my components or would I need to upgrade to an external power supply to support this card?

Thank you!
(to fit 6 hard drives i removed the DVD burners and exchanged them for 2 hard drives)

Here is iStat menu showing the power usage. (currently steaming music sound cloud, Macnn and using a few other websites)
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 24, 2014, 05:05 PM

Some back of the napkin math says yes, not even close to the limit.

mkerr64  (op)
Senior User
Nov 24, 2014, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mike Wuerthele View Post
Some back of the napkin math says yes, not even close to the limit.
I've also noticed that whenever im charging my iPhone, Arduino board hooked up, and some other usb components i get a notification saying "power demand to high" and states I must disconnect some of the devices.

Max power consumption by GTX 760 is 160 watts

saw this video which made me question the power
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU4Pec79eTI
R.I.P Steve Jobs

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Nov 24, 2014, 05:26 PM

That warning is less about the computer as a whole, and more about the USB 2.0 bus hitting maximum power limits.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 26, 2014, 08:12 AM

USB connections have maximum current limits. The warning, as Mike noted, is about the USB connection, not the whole computer. If you have all the USB devices on the same port, you'll get that message faster because that's all on the same controller, which has a particular limit itself. If you have your devices on different ports, the load is spread over different controllers, which means you'll be able to run more devices at the same time.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules