Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 49)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 20, 2013, 11:09 PM

Originally Posted by ajprice View Post
EA Origin has a 'Player Appreciation Sale', up to 70% off titles, including the games that were offered free as apology to Sim City players. So that game you had that was worth 40 dollars from EA? Yeah, 12 dollars now. EA's Origin 'Player Appreciation Sale' on now | Joystiq
Forgot to post this to put it into even more amazing context.

Steam sales "cheapen intellectual property" says EA Origin boss | GamesIndustry International

occasionally there will be things that are on sale you could look for a discount, just don't look for 75 percent off going-out-of-business sales.
****ing gold. Oh and I heard our european brethren are not getting the full discount either.

Also gold.

P
Mar 21, 2013, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by lpkmckenna View Post
Aspyr bringing Bioshock Infinite to the Mac this summer.

Cool. I was planning to install Windows just to play this game, but I can wait until summer. Haven't even played Bioshock 2 yet, and it's sitting on my HD right now.
Don't remind me. I was embarrassed to have Borderlands 2 in that pile and Witcher 2 only half finished, but there is Bioshock to get to as well, isn't there?
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2013, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by KCrosbie View Post
Just saw some retail DLC that was released for Gears yesterday...

Jesus, when the hell did skins start costing more than the damn game itself? It amazes me that they charge for this shit instead of getting the player to unlock those rewards. Unfortunately, they're doing it again like they did with Gears 3 because people are stupid enough to pay for that crap!
In case you didn't realize this was made solely to cash in on the IP and microtransact the hell out of idiots. As you point out, $50 in skins is absurd.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2013, 11:39 AM

PS2 Classics Emulator Hacked - Plays any PS2 game on any CFW PS3 - NeoGAF

So over the last week or so the file encryption on the PS2 classics emulator has been completely reverse-engineered. You can now switch the ISO of any PS2 classic with that of any other PS2 game if you have a PS3 with CFW. Compatibility should be pretty high.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 21, 2013, 02:02 PM

PC Halo fans, information circulating is pointing to an imminent Steam release for Halo 3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 25, 2013, 10:47 AM

The PA Report - Console Diablo 3 playable offline, real money auction house removed, not exactly a Sony exclusive

You’ll be able to play offline, with up to four players on the same console.

“It’s so much fun,” Joshua Mosqueira, the game's lead designer, said when I asked how the couch co-op played. “On a big couch, with four of your friends, drinking beers, it’s almost like a party atmosphere. There’s this really awesome social moment with a legendary drop, and everyone is cheering. It feels very collaborative.”

There was some question about the offline play of the game, something that’s impossible in the PC version of Diablo 3. It was confirmed to me that the game will be playable offline on the PlayStation 3.

Which leads to some other changes, namely the removal of the real money auction house. “The ecosystems on the PC and console are very different,” Mosqueira explained. “There were some technical reasons we had to go with offline, but again once you have an offline experience, even if we wanted to bring in the auction house, it just becomes problematic. How do you validate? How do you make sure there is no duping or any of that stuff?”

Even though some things were lost, and there will be many Diablo players who consider those losses a good thing, the gains were worth it. “But we really felt that playing offline, and being able to move your console from the living room to your bedroom, which a lot of players do to play, is really important,” Mosqueira said.
There's some real salty PC players out there about this.

Hawkeye_a
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 26, 2013, 01:47 PM

The 3DS's killer app ...
Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon(Youtube)

I probably wont be getting a 3DS for this game, but this is quite possibly the best use of "3D" I have seen thus far. The game oozes personality as well. (Luigi nervously hums the music that is playing when it gets quiet in the game apparently , )

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2013, 01:53 PM

It's another fantastic game for a fantastic little console.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2013, 01:58 PM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 27, 2013, 01:59 PM

There's a BF4 thread, if you're interested

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2013, 03:07 PM

Sorry about that. Getting old you know.

boy8cookie
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2013, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
Naw, no one plays D3 on the PC anymore. Path of Exile ftw. Seriously, try it.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2013, 10:29 AM

EA: "DRM is a failed dead-end strategy" | GamesIndustry International

Speaking to GamesIndustry International at GDC this week, Gibeau commented, "That's not the reality; I was involved in all the meetings. DRM was never even brought up once. You don't build an MMO because you're thinking of DRM - you're building a massively multiplayer experience, that's what you're building."
This is not an MMO. This is not an MMO. This is not an MMO.

"DRM is a failed dead-end strategy; it's not a viable strategy for the gaming business. So what we tried to do creatively is build an online service in the SimCity universe and that's what we sought to achieve. For the folks who have conspiracy theories about evil suits at EA forcing DRM down the throats of Maxis, that's not the case at all," he said with a laugh.
"DRM is a failed strategy. So we tried to come up with a different reason to force you online the entire time." That, too, is a failed strategy, jackass.

Gibeau acknowledged that EA probably should have done a better job in its messaging with the community, making sure that they understand the MMO nature of the title and the need to be always connected.
...and I guess the community could do a better job in its messaging that its not interested in the MMO nature and being always connected.

"Some customers have had problems, and you're in the media; you know how some things can snowball, and unfortunately that's what happened here. We did the best we could in order to respond to that and made adjustments to the service but the game is continuing to sell through at a much higher expectation than we thought. The servers are now at 100 percent and there's plenty of capacity...
No they're not. I still read about random rollbacks, inability to join regions, and there's no cheetah speed. Your servers are still not running properly.

Comment of the day form NeoGAF:
Don't piss in my ear and tell me pissing in ears is a failed dead end strategy, EA.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Mar 28, 2013, 11:40 AM

Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 28, 2013, 12:56 PM

This is not an MMO. This is not an MMO. This is not an MMO.
WAIT UNTIL YOU GET THE DLC !!!!

WTF? :
The servers are now at 100 percent and there's plenty of capacity...
Does not compute.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2013, 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by mattyb View Post
Does not compute.
What are the chances the servers start experiencing problems when this releases on Mac? If its in the next 3 months, say 100%.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Mar 28, 2013, 01:02 PM

WAIT UNTIL YOU GET THE DLC !!!!
MMOs don't have DLC! They have expansions

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 3, 2013, 03:22 PM

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...lucasarts.aspx

Game Informer has learned that Disney is closing its LucasArts game publishing subsidiary. We received an email from a LucasArts representative confirming the news.

The official statement from Disney (which recently acquired LucasFilm and LucasArts) reads as follows:

"After evaluating our position in the games market, we've decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company's risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games. As a result of this change, we've had layoffs across the organization. We are incredibly appreciative and proud of the talented teams who have been developing our new titles."

BLAZE_MkIV
Professional Poster
Apr 3, 2013, 03:47 PM

"Our senior management is afflicted with a terminal case of the peter principle."

exca1ibur
Mac Elite
Apr 4, 2013, 02:01 PM

Blizzard, Simcity, and others seem to have some big company coming. This generation brought us the "Nickle and dime" era. Now we are bringing in the "always online" era. These companies need to put drink vouchers and a condom in the box, so you are at least ready when they screw you.

The Next Xbox Will Require an Internet Connection To Start Games, Sources Say

P
Apr 4, 2013, 04:01 PM

MS needs to announce something soon to get rid of these leaks.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 4, 2013, 04:53 PM

Not to digress, but I'm bored. My friends list confirms that there is nothing that holds everyone's interest. I can recall lobbies with 18 people from my clan playing ground war in MW2. While it more than likely was during a weekend, you could still be assured that at least 2 or 3 would be playing 'the game' of the moment during a weekday and during popular sports games. Now, nothing.

Bioshock is nowhere to be seen, Blops2 stresses people out, there are more playing Happy Wars than all the CoD games put together atm. I've resorted to watching YouTube documentaries after trying (in this order) Blops2, MW3 and BF3 tonight. Even crushing the enemy team on a Metro CQ didn't get the juices flowing.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 5, 2013, 01:06 AM

I have exactly 53 friends on my friend list. On a given night only 4-12 are active. (About half of them are using Netflix.) I'm looking at you FattyMcBlobicus.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 09:09 AM

Not to digress, but I'm bored. My friends list confirms that there is nothing that holds everyone's interest. I can recall lobbies with 18 people from my clan playing ground war in MW2. While it more than likely was during a weekend, you could still be assured that at least 2 or 3 would be playing 'the game' of the moment during a weekday and during popular sports games. Now, nothing.

Bioshock is nowhere to be seen, Blops2 stresses people out, there are more playing Happy Wars than all the CoD games put together atm. I've resorted to watching YouTube documentaries after trying (in this order) Blops2, MW3 and BF3 tonight. Even crushing the enemy team on a Metro CQ didn't get the juices flowing.
Console End of Life-itus

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 09:38 AM

I've been aware of this rumor for the past two months and decided against posting it here for the same reason I've stopped posting Pachter news – it struck me as link-bait posing as speculation/rumor. The PS4's somewhat nebulous confirmation that it won't have this feature undermined the rumor as well.

Well, last night, less than 24 hours after you posted, this happened.

Is this solid evidence that the rumors are true? No. But the problem is someone who's linkedin lists him as a MS Games Creative Director playing, at worst, Devil's Advocate lends an air of official creedence to the rumors.

Worse yet, everyone's new favorite gaming journo douche decided to weigh in with the typical corporate bootlicking:

Jim Sterling spittin' truth

I recommend you guys skim the thread, particularly the first 10 pages (It blew up to 100 overnight!)

My last observation is everyone is confused by MSs silence in the wake of the early PS4 reveal, and if you had this type of negative feature on a console, I think delaying the reveal to limit negative PR time might be a worthwhile tactic.

I expect we'll be left hanging on this one, other than perhaps the guy losing his job for unthinkingly having such a conversation about a sensitive feature on an unconfirmed system so publicly on twitter.

My take? I'll may be looking into PS4 compatible XBOX style controllers in the future.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 10:42 AM

It's going to be interesting if MS tries to deny a rumor about an unannounced product or decides to weather the storm.

Edit: Oh forgot, courtesy of NeoGAF

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2013, 11:29 AM

From that first link you posted:

Update: Pennywise also discovered a pretty distinct developer leaving a highly implicit post on the matter.

"Given that legally I cannot confirm or deny if this information is true, nor can I comment on rumor or speculation, all I can say is be sure to pay your ISP bills ."
Everyone, we're going to have a great time comparing Uncharted 4 trophies!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 11:31 AM

I just want to play Heavy Rain.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2013, 11:31 AM

Also, he's made his Twitter account private.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Also, he's made his Twitter account private.
Changes nothing at this point, though it usually is the first move of people who realize they've dug too deep.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Apr 5, 2013, 11:39 AM

I know. Just an observation. I was wanting to peruse all his replies.

Side note: I'm still active this gen — just on the other side. I bought Bioshock Infinite for PS3, which came wi the original Bioshock. I had never played the first. I've been playing it, MLB: The Show (still one of the most addictive sports games), Journey (again), and a few other downloadable titles.

In keeping with my tradition, I'll be selling the 360 while I can still get a decent amount for it to make room for the nex gen, but PS4's apparent lack of BC means I'll be hanging on to e PS3.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 12:17 PM

NBC has picked up the story.

Our 'friends' at Polygon (best known for debuting with an $800,000 Microsoft funded documentary) are conspicuously silent.
( Last edited by The Final Dakar; Apr 5, 2013 at 12:39 PM. )

P
Apr 5, 2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
From that first link you posted:

Everyone, we're going to have a great time comparing Uncharted 4 trophies!
Doesn't strictly mean always on, just that network access is needed for something (some sort of activation like Windows Genuine Advantage). Signs are starting to point towards some sort of always on, though.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2013, 01:43 PM

And what's the big deal. Most people are always on anyways - how else are we going to play the next multiplayer game like Modern Warfare 4. The only problem I see is if your ISP has a service problem (like what happened with Rogers here in Canada when someone cut one of their major trunks) or you'd like to play offline for some reason (getting that HALO 4 achievement that has to be done at midnight).

P may also be correct in that the internet connection may be for activation of the game.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
And what's the big deal.
PlayStation Outage Makes Some Capcom Games Unplayable Offline

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 01:58 PM

Just an asshole of epic proportions.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 02:01 PM

Also, there'd be no point to MS giving consoles to our soldiers overseas. Their internet connection is about as reliable as Bush era's Iraq intelligence.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 02:39 PM

[Updated] More Sources Say Next Xbox Will Require Always-On Internet Connection - News - www.GameInformer.com

"We are aware of the comments made by an employee on Twitter. This person is not a spokesperson for Microsoft, and his personal views are not reflective of those of the company. We have not made any announcements about our product roadmap, and have no further comment on this matter."
The non-denial-denial. Pretty much their only option.

Edit: I don't take this as confirmation, but I've seen companies do the "We value the ability of all our customers to play our consoles in the present and the future" to refute it.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Apr 5, 2013, 03:11 PM

Yeah, so. If the power goes out, you won't be playing either. And believe me last power outage we had was a really boring time. No TV, no gaming, no internet, just radio for 4-5 hours.

Then there was the Rogers Internet outage. Somehow I missed it, but you should have heard all the people complain. We've grown dependant on electricity and internet.
MacBook Pro

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Leonard View Post
Yeah, so. If the power goes out, you won't be playing either.
Adding an additional point of failure under the justification of a previous one existing is stupid.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 5, 2013, 03:17 PM

(Fake account)

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2013, 08:16 AM

Rumour article - Next Xbox reveal due 21st May, costs $500 or $300 with a subscription, reports suggest • News • Xbox 720 • Eurogamer.net

• 21st May event for November launch
• Just called 'Xbox'
• $500, $300 with some form of subscription
• $99 Xbox 360 (presumably a new 'slim' model).

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2013, 09:52 AM

Rumour article - Next Xbox reveal due 21st May, costs $500 or $300 with a subscription, reports suggest • News • Xbox 720 • Eurogamer.net

• 21st May event for November launch
• Just called 'Xbox'
• $500, $300 with some form of subscription
• $99 Xbox 360 (presumably a new 'slim' model).
I don't know what to make of this anymore. All signs point to this thing having a significant online component, but the wording fluctuates just enough to leave a possibility of being misconstrued. Will it require a connection a la SimCity, is it always on in that its always checking for updates and DLC to automatically download for you, or maybe it will just require the internet to "verify" games when you purchase them.

Maybe I'm misremembering rumors, or maybe I assumed MS would want to compete with Sony regarding price, but $500 is steep – its unchanged from last gen (or worse depending on your perspective).

Speaking of subscriptions, did you guys know that the $99 Xbox with two year subscription is at $14.99 a month?! One year is like paying three years of the standard gold $60 rate. That's ludicrous! Talk about ripping off the poor.

Wishful thinking is that MS may like this lowering of the goalposts. Imagine the outpouring of support if they reveal the next XBOX and all these online rumors are false. Certainly the move lacks business/economical logic – an online only console negates rural US and less developed countries. Does this make sense to reduce your legitimate market when it appears Sony has learned its lessons from this gen? Or is MS going for broke on the Only the US/English speaking countries/online countries buy our consoles anyway?

Interesting note: Many people are referring to this as the curse or Hubris of the third console. Nintendo rejected the CD and charged exorbitant licensing fees with the N64, Sony used the PS3 as a Blu-Ray trojan and deemed the console price worth getting a second job; Is MS overestimating it's strangle-hold on online with this possible only online strategy?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2013, 10:01 AM

Oh yeah, I think over 50% of the 360s user base is either offline or silver. This move just doesn't seem legit from that perspective.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Apr 8, 2013, 10:54 AM

If the $99 360 is a thing and not made up, and it translates to a decent UK price, I might get one of those to replace my ye olde beige non HDMI RROD'd once 360.

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

P
Apr 8, 2013, 11:03 AM

$500 is certainly steep for the rumored hardware. With that hardware, I would expect something like $300 without a payment plan/forced subscription for a bargain model with limited flash storage and no HDD.

If MS has hubris, they certainly don't have the cause for it that Nintendo and Sony had. MS is dead last in world installed base this generation, and it ended last generation dead last as well (although with a shorter console lifetime than the others). Sony was on top of the world with the PS2, and Nintendo had been printing money for a decade by the time the N64 was released.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2013, 11:07 AM

I don't expect $299, because that harkens back to PS2 days, but it's my hope (one that is undermined by the mandatory kinect rumors. PS4 has no chance of being this low). My expectation, based on no evidence, really, is $350 and $450 price points. Because I find the concept of similar prices to last gen laughable, they face increased pressure from Sony lowering their target price, and because all of the negative PR associated with the rumored features means you need to be competitive elsewhere.

Edit: Apparently the Core debuted at $299, but I consider that console so crippled it practically doesn't count. Anyone wanting to take advantage of HDMI or DLC would have had to buy an overpriced HD (likely twice) or new console within two years.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2013, 11:38 AM

EA Admits It “Can Do Better” But Blames Worst Company Success On Homophobes And Whiny Madden Fans – Consumerist

Ben Kuchera notes:
Your CEO doesn’t deploy his golden parachute due to lower than expected revenue because your games are doing well. EA is losing both the battle for gamers’ wallets as well as the battle for our hearts. They can say that they don’t mind being hated as long as we give them money, but fewer of us are giving them money. This is not the time for a victory lap.

P
Apr 8, 2013, 12:08 PM

The semifinal voting is now closed, and EA is up against BoA in the final.

That entire PA Report article is well worth a read (Kuchera's writing gets ever better over the years, btw). I think EA's problem is that they're losing ground, they know they're losing ground, and they can't figure out what to change. They look at their main competitor (Activision) and themselves at their peak (2007) and see corporations that - at least on the surface - work pretty much like EA does today. The only obvious difference is that their games don't sell. EA needs to figure out why those games don't sell instead of inventing more crazy monetization schemes of the few games that do sell.

Unfortunately, I don't think they'll do that. I think they'll try to buy some well-run studio to milk again. Any bets on who? My money is on Gearbox.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Apr 8, 2013, 12:15 PM

I think Kuchera benefited from leaving ars. I have a feeling Penny Arcade basically gave him free reign to write the way he liked. HIlariously, I don't find too much use in the PA Report. It's style is basically a more professional and more worked on version of this thread – pick interesting new stories from sites and give your take on them. I'm a little disappointed because I also thought Kuchera's original reporting was good as well.

Forum Links
Forum Rules