Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > USB 2 with USB 1.1 Socket

USB 2 with USB 1.1 Socket
miawj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 9, 2007, 11:40 AM

I read a description of USB that suggested the only difference was throughput and not power consumption/supply. Not sure I entirely believe that. I have a clamshell iMac with just USB 1.1 available. I saw an illustrated description of how to replace the internal hard drive. Think I'll stick to an external one! So I need a way to simultaneously connect an external USB 2 drive and a keyboard.

1) Can I use an independently powered USB 2 hub connected to the 1.1 socket?
2) (Less importantly) Can I use an unpowered USB 2 hub?
3) Can I use a powered USB 1.1 hub for a USB 2 external drive?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 9, 2007, 01:36 PM

Use a hub. If the two things you're using need a lot of power, you might need a powered hub. I use a bus-powered hub with my clamshell iBook, and I can use a mouse and a keyboard simultaneously. A keyboard is really low-powered, and as long as you use an external hard drive with its own power supply (e.g. not a dual-USB setup where it's powered by one port and pushes data through another port), you'll be fine.

You can use any USB 1.1 hub with a USB 2.0 drive.

Also - with a little patience, it's not so terrible to upgrade the internal drive. It's more portable than carrying around an external drive, for sure!
( Last edited by shifuimam; Feb 9, 2007 at 02:19 PM. )
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 9, 2007, 07:33 PM

1. Yes

2. Yes.

3. Yes, but painfully slow.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 9, 2007, 11:13 PM

That external drive will be painfully, excruciatingly, agonizingly slow as pointed out in the post above mine. I am serious. I thought something was wrong with my computer when I hooked up a USB 2 drive to a USB 1 port. It's THAT slow.

I would buy a new internal drive, put that in your computer, and put the old drive in an external case.

Railroader
Banned
Feb 9, 2007, 11:15 PM

BTW: What does a clamshell iMac look like?

miawj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 11:57 AM

Thanks, all. I will not be moving great screeds to and fro. I've used a thumb drive and it seems alright for transferring 100MB or less at a time. I recently noted on Ars Technica a correspondent complaining about changing the disk. If a technica-head is given head-aches then I know I'm beat.

The clamshell iMac was an obscure model only released in mediterranean Europe. It sported a scalloped base and a chrome monitor stem that could, optionally, be bought wrought to the form-factor of Uma Thurman. It was withdrawn from sale following a licensing conflict between Apple and Kilgore Trout.

miawj  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 10, 2007, 12:22 PM

Hmm, just realised, is the speed problem just for transferring large files or will there be an actual speed problem when hooking up to communicate just the file catalogue info for a disk with a few gigs of files?

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 10, 2007, 05:43 PM

It's not that it's difficult to replace a hard drive in an iBook...it's just time-consuming and rather tedious. With a little patience and the right tools, it's not that bad. Since I got my tangerine iBook, I have completely dismantled it at least five times. Once you do it a few times, you get the hang of it and it's much easier. It would be a good learning experience for you.

You will find that even accessing folders on a drive using USB 1.1 is slow. It's not unusable, but it takes awhile. If your iBook has a firewire port, do yourself a favor and get a firewire external drive case, or even one that does firewire AND USB 2.0.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules