Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Apple mail cannot get gmail messages (os X Tiger)

Apple mail cannot get gmail messages (os X Tiger)
Veltliner
Mac Elite
Nov 22, 2007, 04:34 PM

Apple mail has been unable to retrieve a single e-mail from the gmail pop account in the past three weeks.

I tested the connection, and it works well.

I also can send mail.

But whenever I open mail, the dial of dizziness is spinning and spinning.

I have several thousand e-mails on my gmail account and I wonder if this could be the cause.

miawj
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 22, 2007, 04:51 PM

Have you checked via a web browser that your account is still receiving new mail? I can't set Mail to empty the gmail trash - it will only transfer items to the trash folder. I have to log in with a browser to actually delete the mail. (I do apologise if that's a 'well, duh, obviously I've already checked for that' dumb sort of suggestion.)

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Nov 23, 2007, 11:17 AM

Go into your GMail preferences on the web page. Check to make sure POP access is still enabled. POP access may have been disabled when Google made IMAP access available.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by miawj View Post
Have you checked via a web browser that your account is still receiving new mail? I can't set Mail to empty the gmail trash - it will only transfer items to the trash folder. I have to log in with a browser to actually delete the mail. (I do apologise if that's a 'well, duh, obviously I've already checked for that' dumb sort of suggestion.)
I am currently accessing my mail directly at the gmail page. So gmail works.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2007, 08:23 PM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
Go into your GMail preferences on the web page. Check to make sure POP access is still enabled. POP access may have been disabled when Google made IMAP access available.
I checked everything. If it hadn't been enabled, mail would not have connected to gmail. It looks like it can't see the messages.

Still not working.

Looking for an alternative mail app, that also can handle more web addresses.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Nov 26, 2007, 10:30 PM

Have you tried deleting and recreating the account in Mail?

Don't forget to copy your mail into a different local folder in Mail that is not associated with the GMail account.

You might also try setting up an IMAP account for GMail, and see of that works. (BTW, I switched to the IMAP access for GMail and while a little tardy sometimes, works quite well.)

Another idea that comes to mind is to disable then re-enable POP on the GMail webpage. If all your old mail is still in the "all mail" folder, then this might help you get your mail working again. Be forewarned that if you enable POP access to ALL your mail, it will re-download everything, and this could take several cycles. I've had to do it a few times, and GMail will only send about 200-300 messages per mail check.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 26, 2007, 11:05 PM

Mail freezes up for me sometimes too, just force quitting it and restarting it a few times really works.

Mail is a rather buggy app in general, and it does some weird things on the backend.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2007, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by frdmfghtr View Post
Have you tried deleting and recreating the account in Mail?

Don't forget to copy your mail into a different local folder in Mail that is not associated with the GMail account.

You might also try setting up an IMAP account for GMail, and see of that works. (BTW, I switched to the IMAP access for GMail and while a little tardy sometimes, works quite well.)

Another idea that comes to mind is to disable then re-enable POP on the GMail webpage. If all your old mail is still in the "all mail" folder, then this might help you get your mail working again. Be forewarned that if you enable POP access to ALL your mail, it will re-download everything, and this could take several cycles. I've had to do it a few times, and GMail will only send about 200-300 messages per mail check.
I have never heard of an IMAP account. What exactly is it?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 27, 2007, 10:35 AM

Do a search on this forum for IMAP, there is an endless list of threads, including this one:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...on-do-not-use/

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2007, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
Do a search on this forum for IMAP, there is an endless list of threads, including this one:

http://forums.macnn.com/89/macnn-lou...on-do-not-use/
Thanks, besson3c.

Veltliner  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2007, 02:59 AM

Just meant as an upgrade.

The problem was not apple's Mail. The internet connection was really weird for a while, constantly timing out.

After the internet connection went back to normal, Mail went back to normal.

Forum Links
Forum Rules