Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > PS3, Wii or XB360

View Poll Results: Which ones would it have to be ?
Poll Options:
Sony PlayStation 3 203 votes (32.02%)
Nintendo Wii 329 votes (51.89%)
Microsoft XBox 360 213 votes (33.60%)
None 34 votes (5.36%)
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 634. You may not vote on this poll
PS3, Wii or XB360 (Page 153)
mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 08:47 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Most people thought Red Steel looked worthwhile until they played it. I'm going to let everyone else give it a chance. If it turns out to be beyond amazing, I might consider it.
By that time I'll have reached prestige level 10, rank 70 in MW2.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Most people thought Red Steel looked worthwhile until they played it. I'm going to let everyone else give it a chance. If it turns out to be beyond amazing, I might consider it.
Yeah I didn't mean I would just buy it on release - but I'll at least *try* and keep an open mind until I can see exactly what developers will be using it for.

All glory to the hypnotoad.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2010, 11:44 AM

Thursday News

Report: Xbox 360 Final Fantasy XIII "Runs As Smooth" As PS3 FFXIII - final fantasy XIII - Kotaku
"It was...a pleasant surprise when I discovered FFXIII runs just as smoothly on 360 as it does on PS3. It's a brisk, action-packed RPG with tons happening on the screen at any given time (and the series' requisite flashy visuals cranked up to full throttle), yet I didn't see a hint of slowdown or choppiness or screen tearing or any of the other visual hiccups that serve as hallmarks of a sloppy port. Admittedly, I didn't see the two versions running side-by-side — the bus set them apart with a looping trailer dividing the kiosks — but I honestly saw no tangible difference from my time with the PS3 version."

That disclaimer is important. Both versions were not compared running side-by-side; however, according to 1Up, there does not seem to be noticeable differences between the two versions to the naked eye. Does that mean there are differences? There could be. There just doesn't seem to be.
Somewhat reassuring for 360-only owners.

Reggie: Don't Count On Wii Successor In The Coming Months - reggie Fils-aime - Kotaku
Also not a flat denial that something could come.

Square Enix cut a game's worth of content from Final Fantasy XIII
It turns out there once were many more labyrinthine paths and dungeons in Final Fantasy XIII, but they got cut. An interview (in Japanese) over at FF-Reunion with art director Isamu Kamikokuryou ("No you!" to his friends) has him saying that the team removed enough extra locations from the title to make up a whole other game entirely.

Sections cut include a secret base for Snow's hero squad, a character's home that included a park, and even a zoo inside one of the game's amusement park areas. This is all more impressive when you consider that Square Enix is expecting to need three DVDs to hold everything that's still in the Xbox 360 version of the game. But FFXIII completists, don't worry too much -- we're sure some of that content will appear sometime during the game's 10-year cycle.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 14, 2010, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by jokell82 View Post
Yeah I didn't mean I would just buy it on release - but I'll at least *try* and keep an open mind until I can see exactly what developers will be using it for.
Yeah, maybe I misspoke when I said I'm "completely boycotting Natal." I'm just going to be very, very slow to jump on the bandwagon. It has to show something really impressive.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2010, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
I happy. It's the easiest way to get Netflix to my TV. I hope it plays well and the quality is decent.
I have returned... 2020 MacBook Air - 1.1 GHz Quad-Core i5 - 16 GB RAM

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 14, 2010, 12:33 PM

I hope you have to waggle to browse through the selection of movies.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2010, 02:01 PM

Curse you and your possible truths!

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 03:03 PM

I hope you have to waggle to browse through the selection of movies.
Nah. They'll just force you to buy another attachment for the Wiimote (NetFlix Plus?). Turns your Wiimote into a real remote.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 14, 2010, 03:54 PM

WiiMote

----

with MotionPlus

------

with MotionPlus and NetFlix Plus

--------

Bleh.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 14, 2010, 10:19 PM

Wii: 3.81 million
Nintendo DS: 3.31 million
PlayStation 3: 1.36 million
Xbox 360: 1.31 million
PSP: 654,700
PlayStation 2: 333,200
Link

Wii sold 3.81 million in December !!!!

My sympathies go out to the third parties who didn't take advantage(produce quality content or market them appropriately) of this immense opportunity(installed base). As i predicted 2-3 years ago, watch their market cap, profits, revenue and influence decline in the industry due to their attitude towards the best selling console in the history of home consoles.

Only marketing quality content to a smaller market is a bad business decision from any point-of-view imo. I still stand by my assertion that if third parties made an honest effort in the system(quality and marketing and brand, etc) many of us(core and cas-core gamers) would be primarily gaming on the Wii. The lack of such content disappoints me, and diminished the value of the console to me, but the market by large is still voting with their $$$, and if third parties choose to ignore the tide, it's their funeral imo.

Cheers

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 14, 2010, 11:06 PM

I'd still rather get the PS3 version of the game than have to swap discs. Plus I'm sure SE will put some sort of exclusive... something on the PS3 version.

Have to admit though, having all 3 consoles makes shopping a heckuva lot easier.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2010, 05:45 AM

All the best Videogame stats on one page.

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 15, 2010, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Hawkeye_a View Post
Link

My sympathies go out to the third parties who didn't take advantage(produce quality content or market them appropriately) of this immense opportunity(installed base). As i predicted 2-3 years ago, watch their market cap, profits, revenue and influence decline in the industry due to their attitude towards the best selling console in the history of home consoles.

Only marketing quality content to a smaller market is a bad business decision from any point-of-view imo. I still stand by my assertion that if third parties made an honest effort in the system(quality and marketing and brand, etc) many of us(core and cas-core gamers) would be primarily gaming on the Wii. The lack of such content disappoints me, and diminished the value of the console to me, but the market by large is still voting with their $$$, and if third parties choose to ignore the tide, it's their funeral imo.

Cheers
The PS2??? Because the Wii hasn't sold half as many units as the PS2 yet.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2010, 11:51 AM

Link

Cheers
Here's the third party titles in the top 25 for the Nintendo Wii on Amazon (note this changes hourly):

1. Just Dance by UBI Soft (Fitness game)
9. EA Sports Active by Electronic Arts (Fitness game)
10. Walk It Out by Konami (Fitness game)
11. EA Sports Active: More Workouts by Electronic Arts (Add-on to #9)
12. EA Sports Active Multiplayer Pack by Electronic Arts (Even more!)
13. Your Shape by UBI Soft (Fitness game)
14. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga by Lucas Arts Entertainment (Action/Adventure game)
15. My Fitness Coach by UBI Soft (Fitness game)
16. House of the Dead: Overkill by Sega Of America, Inc. (Rail shooter)
17. The Biggest Loser by THQ (Fitness game)
19. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games by Sega Of America, Inc (Mini-game collection)
20. Carnival Games by Take 2 (Mini-game collection)
21. Gold's Gym Cardio Workout by UBI Soft (Fitness game)
23. Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2010 with Gun Bundle by Activision Publishing (Peripheral based hunting game)
25. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 by Electronic Arts (Sports game)

The breakdown:

Fitness games: 9
Mini-game collections: 2
Hunting & Rail Shooter: 2
Action/Adventure: 1
Sports: 1

I'd say third parties must be catering to the Wii's audience pretty well for them to have dominated nine positions in one genre (including one party outselling WiiFit).

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2010, 12:05 PM

Friday News

December NPD: Nintendo ends 2009 on a high note
The forgotten software sales of December:

New Super Mario Bros. Wii - Wii - Nintendo - 2.82M
Wii Fit Plus - Wii - Nintendo - 2.41M
Wii Sports Resort - Wii - Nintendo - 1.79M
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Xbox 360 - Activision - 1.63M
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - PS3 - Activision - 1.12M
Wii Play w/remote - Wii - Nintendo - 1.01M
Mario Kart w/ Wheel - Wii - Nintendo - 936.1K
Assassin's Creed II - Xbox 360 - Ubisoft - 783.1K
Left 4 Dead 2 - Xbox 360 - Valve - 728.5K
Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story - DS - Nintendo -656.7K

NPD Instant Analysis: Things You Should Note - Sales - Kotaku
Fact: The PS3 was the number two home console, but only had one top-10 game, Modern Warfare 2 at 1.12 million copies sold on Sony's console in December. That makes you wonder if that's the main game that the 1.36 million new December PS3 owners bought. These new owners couldn't have been buying Uncharted 2 too, right?

Possible Analysis
1) These new PS3 owners did indeed buy Uncharted 2, but, you know, maybe not because the game sold over 500,000 in October in the U.S.... but Sony now says that the game sold 950,000 through the end of the year. That doesn't leave room for December U2 sales to be all that grand.
2) Who needs games? These new PS3 owners bought their PS3 as a Blu-Ray player.
3) These new PS3 owners bought the system with bundles of stuff not showing up in these charts.
4) These new PS3 owners bought lots of different games for their console, none in huge numbers, failing to see a PS3 killer-app out there, a la Halo for the Xbox or GoldenEye for the Nintendo 64, or Wii Fit for the Wii.

Reggie: Wii users don't care about HD Netflix streaming
As spotted by Siliconera, Nintendo of America boss Reggie Fils-Aimé recently told CNBC that users streaming Netflix through the Wii aren't going to miss the HD content they won't be able to access -- free content that's available through other devices. He justified that claim with a simple argument: "over 26 million consumers have bought a Wii. The consumer is saying, for them, the quality of the visual is not nearly as important as the overall entertainment."

Yamauchi: Gran Turismo 5 uses 80% of PS3's power

Call of Duty DLC tops PSN's 2009 sales
1) Call of Duty: World at War Map Pack 1
2) Call of Duty: World at War Map Pack 2
3) Call of Duty: World at War Map Pack 3
4) FIFA 09 Gold Pack
5) Final Fantasy VII (PS3/PSP)
6) Battlefield 1943
7) Fat Princess
8) MARVEL VS CAPCOM 2
9) Flower
10) Mortal Kombat II

PS3 owners love their zombies.

Japanese Newspaper Denies It "Misinterpreted" Nintendo DS Successor Claims - Satoru Iwata - Kotaku
Speaking with Japanese newspaper the Asahi Shimbun, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata was quoted about the DS handheld's successor. Nintendo has since claimed that Iwata's comments were "misinterpreted". That newspaper has fired back, saying its reporting was indeed accurate.
You don't see that everyday.

And The Nominees For Best Video Game Writing Are... - Modern warfare 2 - Kotaku
Assassin's Creed II, Story by Corey May, Script Writers Corey May, Joshua Rubin, Jeffrey Yohalem; Ubisoft Entertainment
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Written by Jesse Stern, Additional Writing Steve Fukuda, Story by Todd Alderman, Steve Fukuda, Mackey McCandlish, Zied Rieke, Jesse Stern, Jason West, Battlechatter Dialogue, Sean Slayback; Activision
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, Written by Amy Hennig; Sony Computer Entertainment
Wet, Written by Duppy Demetrius; Bethesda Softworks
X-Men Origins: Wolverine, Script Writer Marc Guggenheim; Activision

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2010, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
I'd still rather get the PS3 version of the game than have to swap discs. Plus I'm sure SE will put some sort of exclusive... something on the PS3 version.

Have to admit though, having all 3 consoles makes shopping a heckuva lot easier.
If you have a PS3, I don't see why you'd buy it for 360.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2010, 12:41 PM

Found this on Ars

The best-selling games of the year
The NPD Group also announced the ten best-selling console games of the year. No big surprises here, with Nintendo first-party software and Xbox 360 event releases dominating the list.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the Xbox 360
Wii Sports Resort
New Super Mario Bros. Wii
Wii Fit
Wii Fit Plus
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Play
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for the PS3
Halo 3: ODST for the Xbox 360
Pokemon Platinum for the Nintendo DS

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2010, 12:44 PM

Unless you're in the achievement battle some of the 'NNers seem to be having...

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 15, 2010, 12:46 PM

Found this on Ars

The best-selling games of the year
The NPD Group also announced the ten best-selling console games of the year. No big surprises here, with Nintendo first-party software and Xbox 360 event releases dominating the list.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 on the Xbox 360
Wii Sports Resort
Wii Fit
Wii Fit Plus
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Play
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for the PS3
Halo 3: ODST for the Xbox 360
Pokemon Platinum for the Nintendo DS
It's a shame PC game sales are never in these. Though I imagine all we'd see are Blizzard and EA games, with the occasional just-released games sneaking in for a couple weeks.

EDIT: And I just double posted. %&*#@!

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2010, 12:51 PM

PC has such a different install base. I object to handhelds being included too. Apples and Oranges.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2010, 02:30 PM

Yeah, if only Infinity Ward had made Modern Warfare 2 available on the Wii. I'm sure they're losing sleep right now for not cashing in on those extra 9,000 copies the Wii would have brought in.

Bungie, Infinity Ward, Valve, Epic, Capcom, Bioware & Bethesda don't need your sympathies. Although Atari still does. (Oh wait, no they don't. Screw them for not fixing the Ghostbuster achievements on the 360.)

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2010, 02:32 PM

Xbox Live?

p.s. - Does the game have mulitplayer? I don't know, I never got into Final Fantasy franchise.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2010, 02:32 PM

No, Final Fantasy is traditionally a single-player RPG. But you reinforce my point.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 15, 2010, 02:36 PM

PS3 owners = loners. Got it.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 15, 2010, 02:40 PM

Even if it had some type of rudimentary multi, I'm sure the PS3 experience is going to be measurably better. The important part is that its not a poor experience for 360 users.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jan 15, 2010, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
PS3 owners = loners. Got it.
I guess so, actually. The only reason I finally broke down (no RRoD pun intended) and picked up another 360 is for XBL and the numerous people I would be able to connect to. I guess the only way the PS3 becomes a real multiplayer experience for people is if they have a somewhat isolated group of friends who all decide to get PS3s together.

The only game I've played extensively online on PS3 is Uncharted 2. Even with games like LittleBigPlanet, which has alternate paths on regular levels that can only be accessed with multiple on-screen players, I haven't really played alongside people that much.

downinflames68
Baninated
Jan 15, 2010, 03:22 PM

Only marketing quality content to a smaller market is a bad business decision from any point-of-view imo. I still stand by my assertion that if third parties made an honest effort in the system(quality and marketing and brand, etc) many of us(core and cas-core gamers) would be primarily gaming on the Wii. The lack of such content disappoints me, and diminished the value of the console to me,
Yes but is it surprising? See gamecube, see N64.

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 15, 2010, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
Unless you're in the achievement battle some of the 'NNers seem to be having...
Meh, not much of a battle these days.

Originally Posted by Mac User #001 View Post
It's a shame PC game sales are never in these.
Too much pirating on PC games.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2010, 11:30 PM

Yeah, if only Infinity Ward had made Modern Warfare 2 available on the Wii. I'm sure they're losing sleep right now for not cashing in on those extra 9,000 copies the Wii would have brought in.

Bungie, Infinity Ward, Valve, Epic, Capcom, Bioware & Bethesda don't need your sympathies. Although Atari still does. (Oh wait, no they don't. Screw them for not fixing the Ghostbuster achievements on the 360.)
I said that the third parties have missed an opportunity(a major one, imo). I didnt say they all failed to generate a profit. To illustrate what i mean..... they probably made $5m, when they could have potentially made $10m.

Last year there was one company that made an 'honest' effort(even though i wasnt a fan of the content, the quality was still unmatched on the platform) on the Wii, with quality software developed by A-teams backed up with known brands and decent marketing campaigns. That company was Nintendo. And the revenue/profit reports show the discrepancy between targeting different consoles.

For example, Infinity Ward did great last month when they released MW2. Check December's figures, and NSMBWii outsold MW2 on XB360&PS3 combined. Now i'm not going to buy NSMBWii, cause im not into it, but guess what, i'm not going to buy MW(Wii) either cause it's 2 years too late and im not an 'inferior' customer to settle for second best(old content developed by a B-Team). Also worth noting is how much Nintendo Wii software is in the top 20 there. All i'm saying is that maybe having your A-team working on established franchises, with a good marketing strategy pays off(in spades) ?
Link

Potential to sell quality software on the Wii is there, Nintendo proves that time n again. Maybe if third parties didnt shovel inferior software on the system they would hit gold, like Nintendo has. If they still continue to ignore the potential, that's really their loss and missed opportunity.

If Infinity Ward had developed MW2 exclusively for the Wii, would you guys have bought it ? I most probably would have, despite the hardware limitations of the platform.

Cheers

Brien
Professional Poster
Jan 18, 2010, 11:47 PM

There have been good effort Wii-exclusive 3rd party titles that have failed, e.g. Boom Blox or Zack & Wiki. But guess what, those also tanked (compared to 3rd party PS360/Nintendo games).

I honestly just don't think there's a market for 3rd party Wii titles. Here's my guess: everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, I know that owns a Wii falls into two categories. A.) Non-gamers, who use if for Wii Fit/Wii Sports/party entertainment, and B.) gamers, all of whom own the Wii as a second (or third) console.

So my guess is the people who are interested in 3rd party Wii games already have a 360 or a PS3 and buy them on those consoles. FWIW though, I've bought all the LEGO games on the Wii for the motion controls, so I'm sure I'm not alone.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2010, 04:12 AM

Originally Posted by Brien View Post
There have been good effort Wii-exclusive 3rd party titles that have failed, e.g. Boom Blox or Zack & Wiki. But guess what, those also tanked (compared to 3rd party PS360/Nintendo games).
I know it looks like i have an 'excuse' ready for every game you mention, but here's the deal with those two games....

1. Boom Blox. i did'nt want it. did you ? it was mini-games with all the depth of a web-based game. not to mention the art design and style put me off completely. And i as a consumer wont spend $50(or $30 for that matter) on it, would you ? Just because critics who get their copies for free(probably) liked it, it doesnt mean it's worth it. That and it was a completely new franchise.

2.Zach & Wiki however, i own, and it's a great game with almost Nintendo-like polish. Unfortunately i didnt see it at retail anywhere, i was only able to get it off Amazon. And i dont remember any marketing around it. So now, a new unknown franchise with little to no marketing and no shelf space(in my experience).

3. Dead Space Extraction. I dont want an 'on-rails' shooter, no matter what the production values. When the PS3 wand comes out, will the average PS3 owner(presumable 'core') rush out and buy on-rail shooters ? i dont think so. so why would you expect core gamers on the Wii to ?

The actual unit sales would probably be closer to new franchise on the other consoles with similar quality (Mirror's edge, Dead Space, etc).

Gamers are gamers are gamers....they go where the games go. if third parties dont put out content that will interest(high quality, developed by A-teams, full featured, known brand, and marketed well) them how can they expect consumers/gamers to bite poor quality unknown products ? Nintendo puts it's A-Teams on it's Wii projects, with their flagship franchisees and markets them. Are you really surprised they sell so much ?

Just as an example.... SFIV i think could have been *huge* on the Wii(despite the limited horsepower). known brand/franchise, simple yet core control scheme, developed by the same team who did the PS360 version(*very important*), full featured(online and leader-boards) and advertised. imo.

This is not a 'chicken-egg' issue. the fact is, if third parties put out games of lesser quality than they are capable of, and focus their energies on the other smaller-installed-base consoles, dont expect gamers who own Wii's to give them a second look. if there are no examples of content that have ALL the ingredients for a successful game, dont expect Wii gamers(or ANY gamers) to bite.

Yes the median Wii owner probably skews younger. But if AAA core content is put out there by a third party, can you honestly say that you would not want to play it ? Like i said, if MW2 was exclusive to the Wii, developed by Infinity Ward and marketed well to the new gamers as well.....can you tell me that you would not buy a copy ?

Cheers

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 19, 2010, 10:12 AM

That entire post assumes that their are "core" gamers that would buy third party titles on the Wii. I'd say it's entirely possible that market simply does not exist, and that any "core" gamers that own a Wii are too busy playing their PS360 to buy a title for their non-HD waggle remote toy.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 19, 2010, 10:28 AM

So, any reason hawkeye ignored my post about 3rd party titles selling on the Wii?

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 19, 2010, 03:43 PM

I didn't realize they started doing this. But when Dakar posted the Top 20 LIVE Games of 2009, he forgot to include the laughable list of Top 20 Games for Windows LIVE 2009. Guess what? All 20 GfW LIVE games made the top 20 list! Pretty impressive, eh?

Top Games For Windows LIVE (based on UU’s)

1 GTA IV
2 Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II
3 Fallout 3
4 Shadowrun
5 Street Fighter IV
6 Halo 2 (PC)
7 Batman: Arkham Asylum
8 Resident Evil 5
9 Gears of War (Windows)
10 Red Faction Guerrilla
11 Battlestations: Pacific
12 Kane & Lynch: Dead Men
13 DiRT 2
14 Section 8
15 Quantum of Solace PC
16 FlatOut UC (PC)
17 Fuel
18 Viva Piñata
19 SWTCW: Republic Heroes
20 Juiced 2: HIN

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Jan 19, 2010, 04:17 PM

I know it looks like i have an 'excuse' ready for every game you mention, but here's the deal with those two games....

1. Boom Blox. i did'nt want it. did you ? it was mini-games with all the depth of a web-based game. not to mention the art design and style put me off completely.
That sounds…exactly like the games that do well on Wii (Wii Fit, Wii Sports Resort, etc.).
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 19, 2010, 10:30 PM

@Chuckit:
Guess what, i dont own those games either. And chances are you dont own BoomBlox or WiiFit. The difference between BoomBlox and Wii Fit in the market ? marketing (not to mention game genre/trype)

That entire post assumes that their are "core" gamers that would buy third party titles on the Wii. I'd say it's entirely possible that market simply does not exist, and that any "core" gamers that own a Wii are too busy playing their PS360 to buy a title for their non-HD waggle remote toy.
All 3 consoles have well established installed bases, it's been 3-4 years since they debuted. The Wii has the largest(almost equal to the XB360 and PS3 COMBINED). To claim that most of the people who purchased a Wii only did so to play one game, or one type of game, would simple be improbably due to the sheer size of that sample (not impossible, just highly unlikely).

Also, i was under the impression(for many of you) that gamers buy games first, not specific hardware for the sake of hardware. If that is true, and MW2 was released exclusively for the Wii, and developed by Infinity Ward, and marketed appropriately....i ASSUME that all of you who bought MW2 on PS360 would do so to play said game on the Wii. Right ? If not, maybe it's just pure fanboism of the minority ?

You say the market is 'not there' for quality core titles. I point you to the 50million consoles in homes today and say it is there, and that the problem is that the content is not there. Why did RE4 sell so well on the Wii(despite being a GCN port) ? Why did Okami on the Wii outsell Okami on the PS2 ? Why did New Super Mario Bros Wii outsell MW2(Xbox360 and PS3) in December ?

The market is there. Wii owners are buying software because they want to, and it can be seen in the top 20 for December. The fact that most of the software is made by Nintendo, only means that the other companies are not making anything worthwhile for the platform.

RE4, as an example..... quality, critical acclaim, known franchise, A-Team, good marketing. Then compare that to the other Wii RE on-rails games....PS360 owners got RE5, Wii owners got essentially rehashed/remade, on-rails shooters from B-teams, barley marketed....are you surprised RE5 sold better ?

Ubisoft puts a new PrinceOfPersia, Assasins Creed developed by their A-teams on the PS360, and Wii owners(who actually want content) get RayMan mini-games, PetZ, and a ported GCN PrinceOfPersia. I as a gamer know which games i want, and none of them were made for the Wii, so i should just settle for the crap these companies shovel out ?

EA puts a completely realistic and polished Madden on the PS360, and the Wii gets a cartoon Madden chock-full of mini-games, developed by a B-Team.... guess which one tanked. Dont even get me started on the way that game was marketed on the different consoles. And the EA dude is 'disappointed' with Wii sales ?.... maybe he'd have been more accurate if he said Wii owners are disappointed in EA ?

Third party failures on the Wii platform are their own doing...their decisions to ignore the platform in the beginning to resorting to throwing-a-bone to the largest segment of the gaming market today are all failures of management(imo). The constant claims to be 'testing' the market with sub-par efforts just to try and scare Wii owners and gamers to purchase their poor efforts is not only inherently insulting to Wii gamers but to gamers in general.

My message to third-parties: put out games with the same level of polish and attention to detail as you do on the PS360. If Nintendo can do so, so can any other publisher.

Note>>I am not denying that there is a scarcity of quality software(casual or core) on the Wii. I blame third parties for that, not the Wii and not Nintendo, cause as far as gamers are concerned, Nintendo has expanded the market, innovated, and provides quality software(which sells) on the platform. it's the third parties SPECIFICALLY that have not delivered.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2010, 04:26 AM

Also, i was under the impression(for many of you) that gamers buy games first, not specific hardware for the sake of hardware. If that is true, and MW2 was released exclusively for the Wii, and developed by Infinity Ward, and marketed appropriately....i ASSUME that all of you who bought MW2 on PS360 would do so to play said game on the Wii. Right ? If not, maybe it's just pure fanboism of the minority ?
If MW2 was a Wii exclusive, I wouldn't buy it for a number of reasons.
1. The graphics would be nowhere near as good as the current PS3/360 versions.
2. The controls would suck.
3. (And this one is most important) Online multiplayer would suck ass. Seriously. You can't even chat with your teammates. How are you suppose to coordinate anything? No thanks. MW games are all about the online multiplayer.

Why did New Super Mario Bros Wii outsell MW2(Xbox360 and PS3) in December ?
Because it's the only decent Mario game Nintendo has released since Mario Galaxy? Nintendo fanboys are starving for a decent game, even from Nintendo. Let me ask you this. What if a third party developer had released NSMB instead? Let's say Sega. If they released the exact same game as NSMB but replaced all the Mario characters with Sonic characters. Do you think it would have sold the same amount of copies? Answer: #@ck no!
Nintendo owners buy Nintendo games first and foremost. Always has been, always will be. Rare was the only exception but they are no longer in the picture.

Note>>I am not denying that there is a scarcity of quality software(casual or core) on the Wii. I blame third parties for that, not the Wii and not Nintendo, cause as far as gamers are concerned, Nintendo has expanded the market, innovated, and provides quality software(which sells) on the platform. it's the third parties SPECIFICALLY that have not delivered.
The Wii had 6 of the top 10 games of 2009. Do you own any of these Hawkeye?

Wii Sports Resort
Wii Fit
Wii Fit Plus
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Play

You're constantly saying that third party developers haven't delivered. I look at the list above and I think that Nintendo hasn't delivered. Sure I like my Super Mario Bros & Mario Kart but there's only so much Mario I can take. Nintendo needs to deliver! Where's my sequel to Star Fox 64 dammit! Heck I'll even settle for another Donkey Kong Country.

p.s. - If the third party developers are failing so bad, why hasn't Nintendo invested or purchase some of these top tier developers like MS did with Bungie? They certainly have the money to do it. One of the best moves Nintendo ever made was buy a large stake in Rare. At least you had the Rare games to keep you busy while you waited for the next Nintendo release.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 11:35 AM

Oh hey, hawkeye is still ignoring my post.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2010, 12:21 PM

If MW2 was a Wii exclusive, I wouldn't buy it for a number of reasons.
1. The graphics would be nowhere near as good as the current PS3/360 versions.
2. The controls would suck.
3. (And this one is most important) Online multiplayer would suck ass. Seriously. You can't even chat with your teammates. How are you suppose to coordinate anything? No thanks. MW games are all about the online multiplayer.

The Wii had 6 of the top 10 games of 2009. Do you own any of these Hawkeye?

Wii Sports Resort
Wii Fit
Wii Fit Plus
Mario Kart Wii
Wii Play
Actually, you could chat with your friends, with the Wii Speak peripheral.

And I have...

Wii Sports Resort
Wii Fit
Wii Play

and have every intention of buying Mario Kart Wii and New Super Mario Bros Wii (but not before Mass Effect 2, BFBC2, ACII, etc..). God I'm lame...

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 20, 2010, 01:28 PM

Not only that, but didn't a developer say that to include multiplayer on the Wii requires 20% of the console's power? That would mean the game would have to look even worse if it had crippled multiplayer as well.

Oh hey, hawkeye is still ignoring my post.
I have a feeling he actually has you on ignore.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 01:32 PM

I have a feeling he actually has you on ignore.
You really think so? I'm probably one of the least rude people to him in this thread.

Oh well, for fun, would someone do me the favor and quote my big post about the Top 25 Amazon Wii games?

KCrosbie
Grizzled Veteran
Jan 20, 2010, 02:40 PM

Here's the third party titles in the top 25 for the Nintendo Wii on Amazon (note this changes hourly):

1. Just Dance by UBI Soft (Fitness game)
9. EA Sports Active by Electronic Arts (Fitness game)
10. Walk It Out by Konami (Fitness game)
11. EA Sports Active: More Workouts by Electronic Arts (Add-on to #9)
12. EA Sports Active Multiplayer Pack by Electronic Arts (Even more!)
13. Your Shape by UBI Soft (Fitness game)
14. Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga by Lucas Arts Entertainment (Action/Adventure game)
15. My Fitness Coach by UBI Soft (Fitness game)
16. House of the Dead: Overkill by Sega Of America, Inc. (Rail shooter)
17. The Biggest Loser by THQ (Fitness game)
19. Mario and Sonic at the Olympic Winter Games by Sega Of America, Inc (Mini-game collection)
20. Carnival Games by Take 2 (Mini-game collection)
21. Gold's Gym Cardio Workout by UBI Soft (Fitness game)
23. Cabela's Big Game Hunter 2010 with Gun Bundle by Activision Publishing (Peripheral based hunting game)
25. Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 by Electronic Arts (Sports game)

The breakdown:

Fitness games: 9
Mini-game collections: 2
Hunting & Rail Shooter: 2
Action/Adventure: 1
Sports: 1

I'd say third parties must be catering to the Wii's audience pretty well for them to have dominated nine positions in one genre (including one party outselling WiiFit).
Hawkeye,

Dakar wants to know why you're ignoring this post and not responded to your claim about 3rd party titles not selling on the Wii.

There you go Dakar. Don't say I never did anything for ya.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 02:51 PM

My thanks, K.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 20, 2010, 04:10 PM

GT5 delayed, now this. Coincidence? Well, yeah.
PlayStation Motion Controller's release date moves to fall 2010
I wonder if they want to go head to head with NATAL. Or maybe they just figure the Holiday's is the only viable time to launch a new product.

I seem to recall people complaining gaming was stale a few years back. Good news for you!
We got our wish: New console IP up 106% since 2007
Seems the "failures" of games like Mirror's Edge did not dissuade companies from continuing to try new material.

Or maybe, as I surmised, it took until there was an established console base before these risks were rewarded.

Best selling game of all time in the US? The Wii Controller.
Jesus Christ, Modern Warfare 2 is already on there.

Mac User #001
Mac Elite
Jan 20, 2010, 05:08 PM

Namco Museum #10, really?

Oh, and it's top non-PC games ever. Including the PC, add The Sims, The Sims 2, WoW, StarCraft, Half-Life. These are just guesses. Missing any others?

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 20, 2010, 11:56 PM

TFD, i don't have you on ignore dude, but i only visit this thread occasionally so i do overlook some posts.

As far as that list.... it sorta supports my view that the third parties come to the Wii with a preconceived notion that the majority(or even most) of the Wii ownership is either very young or casual...or overweight. And when they do put a 'core' title on the system, they are very conservative with their investment and promotion. That's not going to fly.

@Stogie. I only own MarioKart(released almost 2 years ago?). I, like you(i think), have no interest in the other games on that list. but there is a demand, and there's no rule that says on a single platform the majority of ownership is polarized to casual or core exclusively. That's a ridiculous preconception to have of(potentially) 50 million households.

As far as MW2 on Wii exclusively:
1 The graphics would be not as good as the XBox/PS3 (but then again, neither were the graphics of mario Galaxy, Twilight Princess or Metroid prime 3). So to assume the game would look like the drivel that third parties put onto the platform is an assumption at best.
2 The controls would not suck. For those who want to control the game using the Wiimote, that option is there, and for those who want to control using the classic controller/gamecube controller, that option is availible to the developers as well. the control scheme of the game is completely upto the developer, not the platform/system.
3 Voice chat is possible and available on the Wii, it's just that the third parties haven't made use of it. EA by-passed the friendcodes system as did High-Voltage-Software, the latter has implemented arguably the best first person control system for a home console, and with online multilayer(12 i think).

Remember when DLC, "micro transactions", "HDR Lighting", "bump mapping", etc ... was *impossible* on this system (despite what i told you guys) ? well is that true ? it's bad enough that third-parties are lazy/afraid to commit to the platform, but when they contribute to the myth that the console is incapable of all these things, it p***** me off as a Wii owner and as a gamer.

Third parties have failed the Wii ownership and gamers in general. You are a gamer, why arent you p'ed off that third parties have not made a compelling product for the Wii THAT YOU WOULD WANT irrespective of the console it's on ? If Nintendo's core competencies is in family-friendly "E-rated" games, thats their choice, it's not their responsibility to make everything for everyone on their platform, thats why you have third parties. Problem is, third-parties are either run by clueless fratboys or the guardians of nerddom who are both incapable of making sound business decisions and taking advantage of opportunities staring them in the face.

Core titles dont sell on Wii ? like i said....RE4, Okami, Red Steel(which sucked), CoD: WaW, MH3(Japan only), etc.... sure, none of them are 10 million sellers, but none of them have the production values and marketing dollars of 10-million sellers, and thats not Nintendo's or the Wii's fault.

As far as Nintendo buying studios.... that's one good opinion imo. but that doesnt excuse third parties from what they are doing.

Cheers

jokell82
Professional Poster
Jan 21, 2010, 12:42 PM

TFD, i don't have you on ignore dude, but i only visit this thread occasionally so i do overlook some posts.

As far as that list.... it sorta supports my view that the third parties come to the Wii with a preconceived notion that the majority(or even most) of the Wii ownership is either very young or casual...or overweight. And when they do put a 'core' title on the system, they are very conservative with their investment and promotion. That's not going to fly.
Doesn't that list tell you what the Wii market wants? If 9 of the top 25 games for the Wii are fitness games, it means that third parties are making exactly what they should be.

Why would they waste millions making a "core" title when they can make millions on these crap fitness games? The Wii customer is the problem here, not the third party developers.

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
Jan 21, 2010, 12:50 PM

Oh come on. Are these fitness games AAA? Do they have widespread marketing? I mean, we're not talking one or two that happen to be doing well, we're talking nine. That's not a fluke. Wii owners are actively searching for and buying fitness games, and these are among their top purchase priorities, outside of whatever the latest Nintendo release is.

Pin this on third parties all you like, but at some point consumers deserve the blame too. There's no history of them getting swindled by poor third party games -- they don't care enough to even try. That's what you refuse to believe. The average Wii owner does not care. That's the big difference between them and PS3/360 owners. Level of interest. They have their Nintendo games, and that's enough to keep them content.

Hawkeye_a  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 21, 2010, 10:44 PM

On the issue of the fitness genre. It is very plausible that:
1. The people buying those games fall under the 'casual' demographic.
2. Those games were riding the marketing wave of WiiFit
3. Those games(which imo are of 'low quality' and 'low budgets') were marketed to their target audience effectively, unlike any third party core title to date on the Wii.

You guys keep saying Wii gamers are to blame, and you are dead wrong, as i have pointed out earlier.......RE4, Okami, Red Steel, Monster Hunter 3. The first two are last gen ports, red steel was a rush-to-market, and MH3 is only available in Japan at the moment.

Whether you are a Wii gamer or just a gamer (like you TFD)....give me ONE example of a third party title on the Wii THAT YOU WANT. i assume there is none..... whose fault is that ? If you see nothing you want, why do you assume that the average core Wii gamer should have different preferences from you. Casual gamers are being catered to on the system just fine, hence the sales of the games you have pointed out.

Core titles are not in the top tier Wii titles because NONE OF THEM CAN GENERATE DEMAND, not from you, nor me, nor the core Wii gamer. thats not the platforms fault, not the consumers fault, but the third parties for not delivering.

You guys are so bent on bashing the Wii that you goto the extent of blaming the consumer for the failure of third party titles, do you realize how absurd that is ?

Maybe third parties make crappy casual titles because they do not want to invest in quality, and due to the sheer size of the installed base those games are picked up by the casual gamer. show me a title that YOU would pick up and that hasnt sold.............. thats right, there isnt one. Is it the consumers' fault that the only quality titles on the system are made by Nintendo ? Jeeze....get your heads in the right place.

Gamasutra - News - Analysis: Wii Overtakes Xbox 360 LTD Software Sales

Gamasutra - News - Analysis: The Console Fortunes Of 2009 (Read the comments of this article)

So you guys find it easier to assume that the majority of the market is not interested in quality software ? and that only a fraction of the market that owns a PS360 "choose" quality ?

When a third party title comes out that you guys(or gamers who buy games not hardware) actually want(even buy) and that doesnt get on that list, thats when i will change my mind. Until then i see absolutely no reason to relegate most of the 50+ million Wii household to the "casual" status, who are not interested in quality core titles, as even the top selling third party title has only appealed to a mere fraction of the installed base (under 10 million maybe?) what about all those other Wii owners ? why arent they buying those casual titles ? maybe they want some quality titles to open their wallets ?

EDIT>>
I assume that you guys picked up the XB360/PS3 for specific GAMES, right ? The fact that games of that calibre(quality, attention to detail, features, polish) are not on the Wii, is not the platform's fault. And thats why you probably dont own a Wii or want to buy any Wii games. when a third party releases a game that YOU want and will buy thats a game that, imo...has targeted 'core' gamers effectively. Until then all the 'tests' thats third parties have put out have been poor efforts when compared to the stuff they do on the XB360/PS3, imo. If on the other hand, all you want is HD graphics as opposed to a quality-core-game, thats a different argument altogether.
( Last edited by Hawkeye_a; Jan 21, 2010 at 11:39 PM. )

Rumor
Jan 21, 2010, 11:18 PM

Looks like I am getting a Wii...again. From here on forward, I shall call it Jawbone Syndrome.

Granted, this is something the SO wants, not myself.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Forum Links
Forum Rules