Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Buying My First IPad, Have Questions

Buying My First IPad, Have Questions
CompuD100
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 22, 2013, 10:53 AM

Hi Everyone:

I am getting ready to by a refurbished 1st Gen IPad and I am trying to find out if it is able to be upgraded to IOS version 5.x? The IPad has version 4.x.x on it now.

Also, can the charger for the IPhone 4 work with the IPad 1st Gen. I have the cable with a USB connector on one end and a long silver connector on the other end that goes into the IPad. I think ti is a 30 pin connector. The cable also has an adaptor that can plug into an AC socket.

Thanks to all for the help.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2013, 11:03 AM

According to Wikipedia a first generation iPad can be upgraded to iOS 5 and that's the end of the line. Regarding your charger, I don't know but why don't you google that for yourself?
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

mduell
Posting Junkie
Feb 22, 2013, 11:24 AM

1) I hope you're getting a great deal on the iPad v1, it's slow and chunky.

2) Yes, but it will only charge the iPad slowly.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2013, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
1) I hope you're getting a great deal on the iPad v1, it's slow and chunky.
It is still a good ebook reader and Reckless Racing never gets old.

2) Yes, but it will only charge the iPad slowly.
So that explains why it takes such a long time to charge mine (as opposed to the iPhone) with the iPhone 3GS charger.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 22, 2013, 02:24 PM

Google is your friend...
( Last edited by cgc; Feb 23, 2013 at 09:07 AM. )
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes." Frank Drebin, Naked Gun 33 1/3: The Final Insult

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 22, 2013, 03:55 PM

Shame on you for asking us! Go find robot friends!

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 22, 2013, 10:30 PM

All iPads require a 10W charger - 5v, 2.0A. iPhone chargers are 5v, 1A. A lot of third-party USB chargers output less than an amp. If you want to make sure you're charging as fast as can go, just look at the printing on the charger and make sure it's listed at two amps.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2013, 06:00 AM

FWIW, charging a battery slowly, especially an old one, is better for that battery in terms of useable life.

To be clear, not the life of that single charge, but the life in terms of when the battery can't hold a useful charge anymore, which will happen sooner or later if you keep using it. Rechargeables have a large but limited amount of times they can be charged before they wear out.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2013, 06:16 AM

Also, since you're getting all this extra info, I hope you've learned your lesson to use Google next time.

Self-reliant types spit on your extra info.

Ptui!

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2013, 07:55 AM

@Subego: nothing robotic about googling answers, the information contained in them is posted by a human but it's been answered so why not look. Generally, forums such as this have rules that ask users to search their forums for answers to their questions prior to posting a new thread, seems logical to do a quick google search before starting a new thread here as well.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2013, 08:04 AM

Sure, but I don't know if "search shaming" is the way to go about it.

Besides, now Google can link to here and further round out its repository of info.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2013, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Sure, but I don't know if "search shaming" is the way to go about it.

Besides, now Google can link to here and further round out its repository of info.
Your method of stopping "search shaming" is to shame those who do that (e.g. "search shaming shaming"). You're no different...

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2013, 09:15 AM

The irony of this is not lost on me.

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 23, 2013, 01:09 PM

The irony of this is not lost on me.
Good, at least you're reasonable. I try to be as helpful as I can on MacNN but sometimes it's frustrating taking someone's posting and just copying and pasting it to Bing or Google and posting the results back on MacNN. Oh well, at least there's a fantastic UFC card tonight...something to look forward to.

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 23, 2013, 03:34 PM

I don't even see a first gen iPad refurb at the Apple Store. They have the 2 for $319, and believe me the difference is staggering, I had the first gen and now have the 2, there is no comparison. So if you, CompuD can manage, I strongly recommend getting the 2, I plan to keep mine until it dies.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 23, 2013, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by cgc View Post
Good, at least you're reasonable.
Reported.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Feb 24, 2013, 08:47 AM

For the record, the latest iPad comes with a 12W charger which will charge your iPhone really quick.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 24, 2013, 09:10 AM

I want to repeat though, my understanding is that's not good for it. The slower you can juice up a rechargeable the better.

ibook_steve
Feb 25, 2013, 07:57 PM

I want to repeat though, my understanding is that's not good for it. The slower you can juice up a rechargeable the better.
It doesn't matter. The charging circuit is smart. It will take as much as it can take to charge the battery as quickly as possible and as safely as possible to prolong life.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

cgc
Professional Poster
Feb 26, 2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
It doesn't matter. The charging circuit is smart. It will take as much as it can take to charge the battery as quickly as possible and as safely as possible to prolong life.

Steve
Some people feel that slower charging equals less heat generated which is good in the long run for the batteries.

subego
Clinically Insane
Feb 26, 2013, 11:48 AM

The way I understand it is there's not a "magic point". It's always going to be a balance between what's ideal for the battery and consumer irritation at how long it charges.

P
Feb 27, 2013, 12:46 PM

Steve
In electrical engineering terms, this should be true, but personal experience suggests that there is something going on with that circuit. When charging my iPhone 4 with an iPad 2 charger, it gets significantly hotter than usual. Once when trying to charge it while sitting out in the summer sun listening to a podcast, the iPhone actually shut down due to overheating. It never does this when I'm not charging it. The logical action at this stage would be to slow down the charging to avoid overheating, but clearly the charging circuit isn't clever enough.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

ibook_steve
Feb 28, 2013, 07:15 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
In electrical engineering terms, this should be true, but personal experience suggests that there is something going on with that circuit. When charging my iPhone 4 with an iPad 2 charger, it gets significantly hotter than usual. Once when trying to charge it while sitting out in the summer sun listening to a podcast, the iPhone actually shut down due to overheating. It never does this when I'm not charging it. The logical action at this stage would be to slow down the charging to avoid overheating, but clearly the charging circuit isn't clever enough.
I also had an overheating issue on my 4s when charging it in my car with a 2.1 A Logitech lighter adapter. But I attributed it to the hot sun and the fact my phone is in a thick Otterbox case. Maybe the heat from charging along with the sun is just enough to put it over the each. But charging always heats up batteries, at least a little bit, even if you don't feel it.

Steve
Celebrating 10 years and 4000 posts on MacNN!

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Mar 3, 2013, 12:52 PM

I mostly use my 2011 17" MBP rather than my v1 iPad, and I routinely charge the iPad through the laptop USB. It has worked very well for years but I have never tried to quantify how fast it charges because I have never cared.

I do care about the iPhone 4s charging rate, however, and it does seem to charge very quickly through the MBP (never concurrently charging multiple devices). I indiscriminately use three different sizes of Apple MBP chargers and all function adequately to charge the devices under reasonable usages.

Personally I find all the full-size iPads to be too heavy for many of their intended usages. eReading and walkaround data input are two examples. The v1 is the heaviest (and s l o w e s t) of the iPads so I will at some point replace the v1 in favor of the iPad Mini.

-Allen

Forum Links
Forum Rules