Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Color laser printer prints false lines, sometimes

Color laser printer prints false lines, sometimes
HamSandwich
Apr 6, 2014, 12:38 PM

Hi,

we have a color laser printer, HP color laserjet 200 m251nw. It's one year old. I installed Mavericks drivers and checked, they are the latest. I didn't find a Firmware update...

There is a single false line in the entire page, from top to bottom. It is not a definite color, rather a bit brighter than the original image. Depending on brightness of the image, it is more or less visible.

What can I do? Is the problem mechanical or a software issue? I tried printing from Photoshop or Preview, always the same problem. I ran the calibration and cleaning procedures the printer offers.

To be honest, when we bought the printer, I disabled automatic calibration. I thought it was noisy, and the printer is used for private use, so not as frequently as by a full-time professional or so. I tried calibrating, but maybe I should reenable the automatic function. Will this go away when I calibrate on each day of the week?

Is it a toner problem, how can I find out?
Do we have to send it in? When do we have to?

Thanks,
Pete

reader50
Administrator
Apr 6, 2014, 01:17 PM

Your printer is also likely printing yellow dot patterns containing its serial number, in case you print & mail an anonymous letter to the government.

Mechanical problem most likely, involving the toner (hopefully) or drum. Try pulling the toner cartridges, rocking them back and forth, and swiping clean the wire on the front of each.

Forum Links
Forum Rules