Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mac misconceptions

Mac misconceptions
Patton76
Mar 25, 2003, 05:47 PM

I was just watching a television show here, when some guy, he's a bit popular here, was saying he had a Macintosh Computer.

Ok, good for you I was thinking, and good for the Mac to have it's name in a popular TV show.

Then he's next things was, it runs windows!

I was so ashamed, how can you in public say that you have a Mac which runs windows!

How come so much people are so ignorant. You can say whatever you want, but Mac OS is the better platform, but still so many people have such misconceptions.

I just don't get.

D'Espice
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 06:29 PM

He has a Macintosh running Windows? Dang, does that dude even know what a Mac is?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one
pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,
thoroughly used up, worn out, leaking oil, shouting GERONIMO!"

Patton76  (op)
Mar 25, 2003, 06:32 PM

Originally posted by D'Espice:
He has a Macintosh running Windows? Dang, does that dude even know what a Mac is?
I know, how low can you go

OwlBoy
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2003, 06:57 PM

I can't belive people are that stupid too.

It pisses me off when people call Photoshop "Adobe".

"Yeah just open it up in Adobe"

"I made this is Adobe"

ABOBE WHAT!? Distiller?

-Owl

CheesePuff
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2003, 07:01 PM

Originally posted by OwlBoy:

"I made this is Adobe"

ABOBE WHAT!? Distiller?

-Owl
Or that if you ask someone if they have Photoshop and they say yes, and then you check and they have apps like "Photodeluxe" or "PhotoPaintPro Platinum" or the like.

And then the people who call it a MAC.

Developer
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 25, 2003, 07:41 PM

ABOBE WHAT!? Distiller?
I know that.
When my ex-gierl-friend bought a computer with Windows95 installed she told me she likes Windows 3.1 she is using at work so much better. I was totally suprised by that, until I saw that she was actually using WordPerfect at work (on 3.1)!
When I told here that she actually prefers WordPerferct over Office, she called me a computer freak for being so picky about these details. She kept on saying things like "I wrote this in Windows" (meaning Word).
Nasrudin sat on a river bank when someone shouted to him from the opposite side: "Hey! how do I get across?" "You are across!" Nasrudin shouted back.

kaboom
Forum Regular
Mar 25, 2003, 08:09 PM

um...Virtual PC?

Here's a common Mac misconception:
Dual processors make G4s faster.

IUJHJSDHE
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 08:21 PM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:
Or that if you ask someone if they have Photoshop and they say yes, and then you check and they have apps like "Photodeluxe" or "PhotoPaintPro Platinum" or the like.

Or MAc.

People like that should get punched in the face each time they type it like that!

audvidsvs
Dedicated MacNNer
Mar 25, 2003, 09:11 PM

I am certainly running Windows on my Powerbook.
VPC is the reason I was able to give "The Swtch" a try.

Sometimes people are a little too defensive about what they like.

I hate Windows but have to use it anyway,I kept an open mind and have discovered the Mac World and really like it but a lot of business runs on Windows.

Ed

sniffer
Professional Poster
Mar 25, 2003, 09:43 PM

Originally posted by Patton76:

Then he's next things was, it runs windows!

..since 1984..

Sniffer gone old-school sig

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 09:58 PM

My friends are educated about multiple platforms, but one of them still wants to help me buid a "good pc to do your graphics on, and for games", and i've refused many times, he also bitching about how he recommends a pc in every home, even if you already own a mac.

My other friend, he's always implying things like apple doesn't know how to do anything, and how much windows does this and that...

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by blackbird_1.0:
My friends are educated about multiple platforms, but one of them still wants to help me buid a "good pc to do your graphics on, and for games", and i've refused many times, he also bitching about how he recommends a pc in every home, even if you already own a mac.
Well, I could build you a decent gaming PC for under $1K, but at the end of the day, it still runs Windoze. Seriously, though, if you're really into gaming, PC hardware is your best bet. It's the OS that's the problem.
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

voodoo
Posting Junkie
Mar 25, 2003, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Macola:
Well, I could build you a decent gaming PC for under $1K, but at the end of the day, it still runs Windoze. Seriously, though, if you're really into gaming, PC hardware is your best bet. It's the OS that's the problem.
That is true. At least today. The only thing holding the Mac platform behind is the processor... and I have a feeling that will be sorted out in short time.
I could take Sean Connery in a fight... I could definitely take him.

blackbird_1.0
Mac Elite
Mar 25, 2003, 11:29 PM

thanks, but i'm just a casual gamer, my friend want to build me one as well, just b/c he wants to play me over the net, theses games he plays are available for mac os, but compared to his machines (ony 900 mhz-ers) he thanks mine are majory slow. my ibook has a g3 500, but pays games fairly well.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Mar 25, 2003, 11:33 PM

There are several ways to run Windows on a Mac.

The way I do it is with with Remote Desktop. Tastes great, less filling.

Bobby
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2003, 12:05 AM

The explanation for this is relatively simple actually...

As we all know more people in the world use Win compatible computers. This itself does not indicate Windows is a better platform BTW... There are more vw bugs in the world than ferraries, this does not mean the bug is a superior car...

At any rate, it becomes our responsibility to be compatible with Windows... I do own Virtual PC, I've owned a copy of every version since 3. I will point out, however, that my use of it is extremely rare. There are some use specific programs out there that aren't on the mac. As it stands, I'd rather use VPC 10 times a year than owning a pc. At least when the evil overwhelms me I can click the close box!!!

michaelb
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 12:26 AM

I know someone who for a long time was convinced they were using an Apple computer...

...because the monitor had an rainbow colored Apple logo on it.

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2003, 12:54 AM

Originally posted by CheesePuff:

Very annoying. I especially hate when people use Mac instead of Apple. Example:

What new computer did Mac announce?

Is it that hard to understand?

If someone said, "I heard Neon came out with a new car" you'd think they're pretty stupid.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2003, 03:24 AM

Originally posted by bradoesch:
Very annoying. I especially hate when people use Mac instead of Apple. Example:

What new computer did Mac announce?

Is it that hard to understand?

If someone said, "I heard Neon came out with a new car" you'd think they're pretty stupid.
Really, it's the opposite that bugs me - when people say Apple instead of Mac.

The computers in the music lab are all Apples.

I know how to do this in Windows, but not on Apple.

etc.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

JB72
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 04:02 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
There are several ways to run Windows on a Mac.

The way I do it is with with Remote Desktop. Tastes great, less filling.
I've heard good things about Remote Desktop. I'm planning on putting together a little Shuttle SN41G2 this year. Prolly use an ADC/DVI switcher with it to play games. But it will also be nice to be able to bring up Remote Desktop for the quick jot into the darkside while remaining safely in OS X.

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 04:45 AM

"I made this is Adobe"

ABOBE WHAT!? Distiller?

-Owl
I work in IT support. Yesterday, the sales manager who used to be the IT Support phoned me and said "Will you install Adobe on such and such's computer?". I said "What? Acrobat?" as a complete guess, reckoning that she wouldn't need Photoshop. I couldn't believe that someone who probably has the second most computer knowledge in the company can say things like this.

Patton76  (op)
Mar 26, 2003, 05:40 AM

Originally posted by kaboom:
um...Virtual PC?

Here's a common Mac misconception:
Dual processors make G4s faster.
Trust me, he wasn't referring to VPC. He just thought that either his computer was a Mac for some reason, or he thought that Mac OS and Windows are the same.

Or he's just plain stupid ...

andycroll
Mar 26, 2003, 09:31 AM

Or buy an Xbox, PS2 or even Gamecube (now only 80quid inc. game in the UK!)

Ooooh pokey stick time

Andy
Powerbook (G4-1GHz)
iPod mini (4GB)

stew
Senior User
Mar 26, 2003, 09:51 AM

So what? I couldn't care less.
When people ask me wether I use Mac or Windows I answer "a computer". They all have icons and menus and word processors and files and I can surf the web, listen to mp3 and write emails on all of them. It doesn't matter.

Stink different.

Macola
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 11:26 AM

Originally posted by stew:
So what? I couldn't care less.
When people ask me wether I use Mac or Windows I answer "a computer". They all have icons and menus and word processors and files and I can surf the web, listen to mp3 and write emails on all of them. It doesn't matter.
PCs are tools. Macs are an extension of myself. There is, quite simply, a fundamental difference in the total user experience that cannot be quantified. But that's just me...
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

kovacs
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 11:54 AM

Who was it ? Was it Bruno ( de laatste show ) ?

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2003, 12:19 PM

PCs are tools. Macs are an extension of myself. There is, quite simply, a fundamental difference in the total user experience that cannot be quantified. But that's just me...
Well said! When people ask me why I use a Mac that's what I want to tell them, although it's tricky to say and also for them to understand.

Patton76  (op)
Mar 26, 2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by kovacs:
Marcel Vantilt in Recht van Antwoord.

Nice website, btw, great photo's.

tullamore
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 26, 2003, 02:10 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
The computers in the music lab are all Apples.
What is wrong with that sentance. Macintoshes are Apples. Just like ThinkPads are IBMs. There is nothing wrong with someone saying all the cars in your garage are Fords if you have an F-150 and a Mustang.

mitchell_pgh
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2003, 03:02 PM

Obviously, none of you have ever worked in a retail computer sales environment. I honestly get scared at night thinking about the people out there with computers.

I get questions like:
- Doesn't Microsoft own Apple?
- Aren't Macs slow?
- Will a Mac work with my monitor?
- Apple makes computers? (I'm starting to get a few of these from Windows iPod users.)

I could go on and on... also MOST mac users don't think anything is compatible with their computer (including monitors, mice, hard drives etc.)

The average user is just that... average... They suck up the marketing like crazy...

One last favorite saying "But the advertisement said... " Doesn't anyone ever read 3rd party information anymore?

philzilla
Occasionally Useful
Mar 26, 2003, 03:36 PM

Originally posted by ShotgunEd:
I couldn't believe that someone who probably has the second most computer knowledge in the company can say things like this.
i could. i used to work in a college, where all the heads of IT were women. they knew pretty much nothing, but always used to throw the latest buzzwords into their conversations. i lost count of the amount of times i had to get called in and help some of the other guys fix problems.

it always made me wonder just how they all got their jobs...
"Have sharp knives. Be creative. Cook to music" ~ maxelson

stew
Senior User
Mar 26, 2003, 03:48 PM

PCs are tools. Macs are an extension of myself. There is, quite simply, a fundamental difference in the total user experience that cannot be quantified.
Computers are tools, it's that simple to me. There is no fundamental difference, it's only slight differences. It will (hopefully) become obvious the day when we see some innovative new concept, which we haven't seen for decades.

Stink different.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 26, 2003, 04:47 PM

i could. i used to work in a college, where all the heads of IT were women. they knew pretty much nothing, but always used to throw the latest buzzwords into their conversations. i lost count of the amount of times i had to get called in and help some of the other guys fix problems.
How is the fact that they were women relevant?

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 06:20 PM

Nothing against women, but...

I can count on 2 fingers the number of women I know that knows the difference between IDE and SCSI (and I don't mean low level knowlege, just that there is a difference in speed and cost). One of them used to frequent this forum, and has a apple logo tatooed on her behind.

The other is my wife, but she doesn't use buzzwords, unless "stupid debugger" is a buzzword. No tatoo, though.

I think this is what he meant. Its rarer for a woman who is at a higher management in IT to know what she's doing on the grunt techie level, that say a techie who worked his way up the ladder as opposed to being a "people person" who can manage techies.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Mar 26, 2003, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
One of them used to frequent this forum, and has a apple logo tatooed on her behind.

The other is my wife, but she doesn't use buzzwords, unless "stupid debugger" is a buzzword. No tatoo, though.
Does your wife know that you know about the tattoo on the first one's behind?

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

NeXTLoop
Senior User
Mar 26, 2003, 08:32 PM

"I made this is Adobe"

ABOBE WHAT!? Distiller?

-Owl
I work with people all the time in the computer industry, and I have to agree 100% with you. I don't mean to be rude... but the vast majority of people who use computers, particularly Windows user, are hopelessly ignorant when it comes to using them intelligently.

That's yet another thing we have to thank M$ for. They try to make things so "easy" with their wizards and such, that all they really do is create a breed of computers users incapable of actually figuring something out.

Oh... wait a minute... I forgot, that's what M$ wants all along! Otherwise, if computer users could actually figure stuff out, they'd realize they're using an inferior product and look for a better solution.

Appleman
Mac Elite
Mar 26, 2003, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Does your wife know that you know about the tattoo on the first one's behind?

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 26, 2003, 10:56 PM

"I made this is Adobe"

ABOBE WHAT!? Distiller?

-Owl

I get CVs/Resumes on which people claim to have experience with Adobe, Claris and Lotus.

No job for them.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2003, 03:54 AM

Thinking that this thread belongs in the OS X forum in another popular misconception....

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 04:53 AM

Ah well, the guy is full of **** anyway. Always has...always will be. I was watching the show as well and it was a debate show. I didn't agree with what he was saying anyway so he had me pissed off long before he made that windows comment. .

EDIT : Maybe you should have mentioned how he said it. It was like this : "Yea, I'm against using American products. It's not easy because I can't even start my computer anymore because it's a Macintosh and it runs windows which are both American products.

mrfrost
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 04:54 AM

Originally posted by kovacs:
Bruno would never say a thing like that ! Bruno rocks !!

thePurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 07:59 AM

Originally posted by philzilla:
it always made me wonder just how they all got their jobs...

MikeM33
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 08:00 AM

Next time someone says "I made this in adobe". Respond with; "So you made it with sundried clay and straw?"

Okay stupid, but effective

MikeM

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 27, 2003, 09:07 AM

also MOST mac users don't think anything is compatible with their computer
I always got a laugh when I'd see mouse pads and speakers labelled as "Windows compatible."

Also, I cringe when I see journalists write MacIntosh (with the capital I)

Chris

willed
Professional Poster
Mar 27, 2003, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by thePurpleGiant:
lol!

denim
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 10:31 AM

Originally posted by voodoo:
That is true. At least today. The only thing holding the Mac platform behind is the processor...
The main thing holding the Mac back is the size of its audience. The main thing holding back the size of its audience is the price.

Developers go where the audience is.

Apple is still using a model which has been shown to NOT WORK by almost every company that tried it: you don't do both proprietary hardware and software, because you'll be undersold and cut out of the market.

DEC had the best hardware and software ever, and look what it got them. IBM is about the only company that can manage it, and even they are going into Linux because they can see the writing on the wall. And their Big Iron is more a special case than Apple's equipment can ever hope to be.
Is this a good place for an argument?
Peace on Earth, Good Will Toward Me

denim
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by stew:
Computers are tools, it's that simple to me. There is no fundamental difference, it's only slight differences. It will (hopefully) become obvious the day when we see some innovative new concept, which we haven't seen for decades.
Then you must like to throw away money that you don't need to, or you'd have purchased a PC 'cause it's just a tool and you didn't need to spend more. Right?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2003, 12:40 PM

Denim:

I don't know if I agree with your assessment that price is the only thing needed to appease and attract customers.

The Emachines and other $500 PCs sell well, but there are also some Dells and other PCs priced around the $1000 clip that also sell very well.

Apple has decent machines priced around $1000.

How do you explain this?

denim
Mac Elite
Mar 27, 2003, 02:52 PM

Originally posted by besson3c:
Denim:

I don't know if I agree with your assessment that price is the only thing needed to appease and attract customers.

The Emachines and other $500 PCs sell well, but there are also some Dells and other PCs priced around the $1000 clip that also sell very well.

Apple has decent machines priced around $1000.

How do you explain this?
Apples and oranges. The Dells and others are expandable machines. The Macs in that price range are not.

The Apples in that price range are fairly recent developments. The Dells et al are not.

Shall I continue?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Mar 27, 2003, 03:01 PM

Denim:

what is the percentage of customers who care how expandable the computer is, and/or have the know-how to open up their case and perform these sorts of surgical tasks?

Many larger corporations and educational markets are on a 3 year (or some variable number) product upgrade cycle. Machines are not upgraded, they are given to surplus to sell. Not to mention the issues of warranties.

Both Macs and PCs are pretty much use and dispose. There are only a *very* small percentage of people who care about the expandibility of their computer (although there may be some people who think they ought to care).

We tend to forget the rest of the world does not think like us.

As for Apple's low prices being a recent development, yes, has Apple's marketshare doubled yet?

Price is *a* factor in being competitive against PCs, but it's not that big a deal, in my opinion.

Feel free to "go on", you haven't sold me yet.

Forum Links
Forum Rules