Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > Signed on to wireless network, but can't get online

Signed on to wireless network, but can't get online
jerseyfreeze
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 9, 2004, 11:22 AM

I apologize in advance for my incomplete knowledge of how everything is set up, but I just started housesitting (for a year) and I haven't explored how the owner has his Airport Extreme base station and wireless network set up.

He has a PowerMac G4, an Airport Extreme base station and DSL through BellSouth. I have a PowerBook G4 with an Airport card. When I boot up my PowerBook, I select the network from the Airport menu bar item and enter the password, and it shows that I'm connected.

But when I launch any apps that require the Internet, I get nothing.

I then tried his PowerMac, and I got the same result.

Is there some trick with the Airport Extreme base station? Is there some trick with DSL?

Thanks,
Jason

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2004, 01:36 PM

check and see that you're getting a good IP in the system preferences / networking settings?

A good IP will not be one that begins with 169.xxx.xxx.xxx
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

itai195
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 9, 2004, 06:36 PM

Might want to check on the base station's PPPoE settings too. Many DSL providers use PPPoE, so you might want to double check that with the owner if you can. I'd imagine his Power Mac is configured correctly, so a PPPoE issue seems a likely culprit. Or maybe a cable has been disconnected somewhere.

Forum Links
Forum Rules