Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Mad as hell, switching to Mac says leading security expert

Mad as hell, switching to Mac says leading security expert
TheIceMan
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 03:53 AM

Winn Schwartau, one of the leading Information Security professionals in the world, has had enough with Windows.

I have come to the belief that there is a much easier, more secure way to use computers. After having spent several years focusing my security work on Ma, Pa and the Corporate Clueless, I also have come to the conclusion that if I’m having such security problems, heaven help the 98 percent of humanity who merely want a computer for e-mail and multimedia.

Even though I’m a security guy going on 22 years now, my day-to-day work is pretty much like everyone else’s. I live on laptops and use my desktops at home and the office for geeking and experimenting. My two day-to-day laptops (two, for 24/7 backup) are my business machines. I don’t need them to do a whole lot - except work reliably, which is why I am fed up with WinTel.
Yahoo article. Another link at NetworkWorld

His company.
( Last edited by TheIceMan; May 27, 2005 at 04:08 AM. )

Apple Pro Underwear
Addicted to MacNN
May 27, 2005, 07:15 AM

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

sometimes PC peeps get so used to it they dont even comprehend how worry-free macs are. but whatever, not my problems if they want to suck.

Zimphire
Baninated
May 27, 2005, 07:21 AM

Yeah.. they act like having to run spyware detectors is part of the computer experience.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
May 27, 2005, 11:43 AM

Read the article. The guy is an idiot.

rezonate
Dedicated MacNNer
May 27, 2005, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
Read the article. The guy is an idiot.

Yeah, the article is sensationalist fluff.
Over 100,000 Iraqis -dead. Over 200,000 Afganis - dead. and counting...
All dead based on lies fed to an uninformed public, to manipulate them into not seeing the true agenda. All dead in the name of protecting US interests. Not one single thing these hypocrites tells us is based on truth. Not one thing.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
May 27, 2005, 11:55 AM

Yeah... this was really not the best article ever. He points out that Windows is overly complex, which is true. But the rest of his points are kind of . Okay, cheap RAM can make your computer crash. So what? That's true on any machine...

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

AdulteratedJedi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 27, 2005, 12:01 PM

hmmm

AJ

Cipher13
May 27, 2005, 12:13 PM

Yeah, terrible article. Poorly written, no decent rationale... nice work Yahoo! news.

E's Lil Theorem
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 12:30 PM

Eh, I think someone on /. said it best:

You know, I'm a Mac user. I freakin' love Macs. I think Steve Jobs, for all his flaws, is a hero.

That said, I think it's a sad state of affairs that people consider it a news story that some nobody columnist has decided he likes Macs better than Windows. All this cheerleading for "switchers" is really pathetic.

Hey, Windows users: Use whatever you like. I don't give a ****. If one of you decides that switching to the Mac is a good idea, it really donesn't make my preference of computers any better.
He then added:
... and you can tell I'm posting from work using Firefox on a PC, because the built-in spellcheck on my iBook at home would have caught that "donesn't" crap.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
May 27, 2005, 08:10 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesS
Yeah... this was really not the best article ever. He points out that Windows is overly complex, which is true. But the rest of his points are kind of . Okay, cheap RAM can make your computer crash. So what? That's true on any machine...
Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. For a so-called "expert" he sure doesn't sound like one. But whatever I guess. Just thought it was cool that he jumped ship, however whacked out he is.

meelk
Baninated
May 27, 2005, 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by TheIceMan
Winn Schwartau, one of the leading Information Security professionals in the world, has had enough with Windows.

Yahoo article. Another link at NetworkWorld

His company.

No "security expert" should have computers in his house crashing all the time. Hell I'm not a computer expert in any form other than having built my own for the past 14 or so years, but my pc never crashes, I dont understand what his issue is. His wife doing security related tasks 4 to 8 hours a week? Another really wierd problem with him and whatever odd crap his family is up to. I'm in irc with dozens of people I've known for probably 10 years now online, and none of them experience these kinds of issues with their own home built PCs. Regardless of this guys credentials, he sounds like an idiot to me.

Forum Links
Forum Rules