Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Got some questions about the Mac Mini before I decide on a Mac

Got some questions about the Mac Mini before I decide on a Mac
OmniShinzui
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 3, 2005, 09:56 PM

I am considering to get a 1.42ghz Combo Mac Mini. It would be with 1gb ram and Mighty Mouse/Wired Apple Keyboard. For $806. Now, questions:

1. Is there audio-in? If not, im wondering if this would do:
http://elvistech.zoovy.com/product/E...roogle-EDIUA20
2. Anyone use the Minimate? I might get one later on, wondering if they are good:
http://www.megamacs.com/v1/?action=view&pid=FanMNMM160
3. How well does World Of Warcraft play? I know about its 32mb Vram
4. How well does Logic Pro/Garageband2 Fare on it? (One of my main uses for a Mac)
5. How well does Adobe Photoshop/Illustrator work?
6. Difference between 1.42Gb 14" iBook? (im not talking about price/screen either)
7. Will My monitor work with a Mac Mini? Its a Eview (from emachines).

I was originally getting a Powerbook... back when the 12" was 1.33ghz, waiting for some money from an inheritance check. Then, something happened so its going to be a while. By the time I get the check, Rev. B of the Mac Powerbook Intel's Come out. So I was thinking of a Mac Mini to hold me for the next 2 or so years. Thanks for input.

(I might get an ibook if I get enough money, but I doubt it)

Jacob
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 4, 2005, 02:24 AM

I'm wondering the same sort of thing, as I am considering purchasing the same unit.
"I cluck, therefor I am."

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by OmniShinzui
I am considering to get a 1.42ghz Combo Mac Mini. It would be with 1gb ram and Mighty Mouse/Wired Apple Keyboard. For $806. Now, questions:

2. Anyone use the Minimate? I might get one later on, wondering if they are good:
4. How well does Logic Pro/Garageband2 Fare on it? (One of my main uses for a Mac)
6. Difference between 1.42Gb 14" iBook? (im not talking about price/screen either)

I was originally getting a Powerbook... back when the 12" was 1.33ghz, waiting for some money from an inheritance check. Then, something happened so its going to be a while. By the time I get the check, Rev. B of the Mac Powerbook Intel's Come out. So I was thinking of a Mac Mini to hold me for the next 2 or so years. Thanks for input.

1. There is no audio in on the mini. The link you gave could work, but if you dont need something as fancy and you just need plain audio in, go for the Harmony Express (http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...12.1.19.1.17.0)
its much cheaper if all you need is audio in
2. I personally dont have a mini mate but i've played with a mini that has one connected, it seems to make the system feel faster so long as you use the minimates HD as your main drive & install the OS on it, seeing as its 7200 RPM compared to the mini's internal which is 4200 RPM.
3. I havent played this game on a mini, but a mini isnt really a game machine, with its 32 MB grapics card i can't imagine its up to much.
4. Garageband will work relativly well on the mini, so long as you dont go putting hundreds of audio tracks on it, stick to a mazimum of around 15-20 and you'll be fine. Sorry I have no experience with Logic Pro
5. Photoshop is usable on the mini, dont expect super performance, but with the 1 gig RAM, you should get some decent results, expecially with an external 7200 RPM HD
6. The only differences I am aware of between the same speed prosessor iBooks & mini's is the bigger HD in the mini (80 vs 60), and the superdrive that comes as standard in the iBook 14". The only performance issue i can think of is that the iBook uses laptop RAM, which can tend to be a bit slower. The nice thing about the iBook, of course, is that its portable.
7. If its a VGA monitor you could have some trouble with the connection, some people have reported a dark or distorted signal using the DVI to VGA adaptor, it's really a matter of 'try it and see'.

Hope this helps
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

sworthy
Mac Elite
Sep 4, 2005, 11:04 AM

Check out the apple refurbs for iMacs - I've seen 1.6 or 1.8 G5's for under a grand. Logic and Garageband will thank you!

schwaz80
Sep 4, 2005, 11:45 AM

I am selling my Mini here in case anyone is interested:
http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.php?t=268540

OmniShinzui  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 4, 2005, 06:15 PM

thanks people, Im definatly getting one by the end of the month. I will get a Minimate for xmas along with a Shure Sm-57 Dynamic Mic (dunno what preamp yet tho). Thanks harrisjamieh for the Harmony Express note. Do you use one? Cause something that small makes me worry a bit. At least my midi controller has a usb connecter so thats not a problem.

I think my Mac Mini will do better than my Emachines PC for photoshop, its got a celeron/256mb Ram. The only negatives of the Mac Mini is the speed of the hard drive and 32mb Vram. Hopefully an update happens on the 20th, you never know lol.

Can someone give me a answer about World Of Warcraft? I want to know. Thanks

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Sep 4, 2005, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by harrisjamieh
...The only performance issue i can think of is that the iBook uses laptop RAM, which can tend to be a bit slower. The nice thing about the iBook, of course, is that its portable...
Nonsense. RAM with the same speed specs (same speed and CAS latency) will be the same performance, regardless of whether it's notebook or desktop RAM. The iMac G4 even used one desktop and one notebook RAM module. The only difference is physical size.

too

harrisjamieh
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2005, 03:23 AM

thanks people, Im definatly getting one by the end of the month. I will get a Minimate for xmas along with a Shure Sm-57 Dynamic Mic (dunno what preamp yet tho). Thanks harrisjamieh for the Harmony Express note. Do you use one? Cause something that small makes me worry a bit. At least my midi controller has a usb connecter so thats not a problem.

I think my Mac Mini will do better than my Emachines PC for photoshop, its got a celeron/256mb Ram. The only negatives of the Mac Mini is the speed of the hard drive and 32mb Vram. Hopefully an update happens on the 20th, you never know lol.

I personally havent used the harmoney express note, but i know someone that does and they told me it acts just as if there is an audio in port directly on the mini, no quality issues or such. Im deffinatly getting one when I get my mini.
iMac Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 1.25GB RAM | 160HD, MacBook Core Duo 1.83 Ghz | 13.3" | 60HD | 1.0GB RAM

Kamsin
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 5, 2005, 09:26 AM

It is quite playable if you keep the graphics settings low, around 25-30 fps in most outdoor areas. Faster indoors (except for IF of course ). Just got a mini for my lil bro to play WoW on and he loves it.

hudson1
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 5, 2005, 02:46 PM

Another audio solution that's even less money:

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/imic/

elvis01
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 20, 2005, 07:30 PM

Since you were nice enough to reference us in your EDIROL link I would be more than happy to answer or pass along any questions to the manufacturer.

I have contacted EDIROL for all types of questions and might be able to get some extra info from Apple regarding Logic Pro.

Let me know if we can help

www.elvistech.com

power142
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 21, 2005, 01:12 AM

I agree with sworthy - go for a refurb iMac G5. For the extra $93, Apple is offering 1.6GHz G5 with 7200rpm drive, 64mb video ram (albeit with FX5200 chip) and INCLUDING a 17" LCD screen. You can always swap out the drive for a bigger SATA drive and you have an extra RAM slot to expand with. Performance will be a short leap ahead of the mini and you'll have saved the money spent on the mini mate

Forum Links
Forum Rules