Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Extracting a video from a website (on Safari)

Extracting a video from a website (on Safari)
TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Nov 12, 2005, 08:29 PM

I posted this on MacThemes but no one seemed to know how to do this.

This may seem elementary for some of you experts, but how do I extract this video of the Canon Powershot SD450 from the CNET website?

I know that in Safari: Window > Activity and look for the .swf (flash) files. And I found 2,

reviews.cnet.com/av/video/flv/core.swf
reviews.cnet.com/av/video/flv/media_gallery2.swf

Then I copied each one and then paste onto the blank Downloads sheet (in Safari: Window > Downloads). This has worked for many flash files before but I couldn't get it to work this time. Maybe I'm not finding the correct video flash file.

[Moderators:] I wasn't sure where to post this topic but since it had to do with Safari, I thought it best to leave it here under Apps.

[APi]TheMan
Mac Elite
Nov 13, 2005, 05:59 PM

I don't believe you can extract that video. If you paste those URLs into the browser's location bar they will load, and then seemingly disappear. Right click and you can see the bit about the Flash plugin, and something called the "CNET video (1.17)". This flash file is essentially a media player that loads content from CNET's servers behind the scenes and plays it.

Bummer.
"In Nomine Patris, Et Fili, Et Spiritus Sancti"

msuper69
Professional Poster
Nov 13, 2005, 07:17 PM

Snap Z Pro X is supposed to be able to do motion video captures.

Forum Links
Forum Rules