Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > YouTube Videos: How Can I Play it on my Computer?

YouTube Videos: How Can I Play it on my Computer?
TheIceMan
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 10:11 AM

Sorry, I didn't want to start a new thread but my question seems to have gotten lost.

I know how to download a video from YouTube. But, after getting it, how do I play it?

The downloaded file is called "get_video". I have iSwiff and SWF Movie Player (both free flash players). I've tried adding .flv to the end of the file name, but still can't get it to play.

I tried VLC, Mplayer, iSwiff, SWF Movie Player, Real Player...nothing.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Mar 9, 2006, 11:21 AM

I dunno. Tried the same, was told VLC would work. It didn't.

I finally got it converted somehow, but I forgot what app I used. Maybe it was ffmpegX. Not sure, gotta check at home.

-t

iREZ
Professional Poster
Mar 9, 2006, 08:25 PM

how does one download files off youtube? i saw a great simpsons vid and need it desperately.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

PurpleGiant
Mac Elite
Mar 9, 2006, 09:11 PM

This is a good tutorial:

http://www.hiphopmusic.com/best_of_y...ave_youtu.html

The first part (firefox extension) works well, you get a .flv file out of it. I'm not sure about the ffmpeg part, but the .flv file is definitely playable.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 10, 2006, 12:02 AM

Ok, I finally got it. It took some digging though. I found keepvid.com. All you have to do is enter the url, hit the button and save & rename the "get video" file by changing the get_video.php to xxx.flv

Then after that you'll need something that will play the FLV file. For some reason VLC/MPlayer and the others don't. BUT FLV Player (this is the direct download link) will PLAY them. Here's another FLV Player called J-VHS FLV Player (but the icon is his FACE so it's kinda creepy!)

One more thing. Once you download and have the FLV Player on your computer, you have to put the FLV Player AND the FLV video files in the SAME folder or else they won't play. So what I did was create a "YouTube Videos & Flash Player" folder and put the Youtube videos and the FLV Player in. Now I have the videos AND the FLV Player to play them.

bboyyo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 10, 2006, 10:28 PM

thanks for the link ICEMAN now i can download from youTube!

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 06:22 AM

You're welcome. Although I have found that the keepvid link doesn't always work. In which case I resort to this method when I have the YouTube video loaded: Safari > Window > Activity > Find the video (sometimes very large like 17MB or 45MB), then copy-C > Go back to Window > Download (a blank download page will pop up. Just copy-V and voila.

This method ALWAYS works. It just takes a bit longer to locate the video.

Lordx_
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2006, 12:53 PM

MPlayer will play FLV videos fine. Just add them to a playlist by dragging and dropping them and simply double click.

Regards.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 01:19 PM

That's strange because I've tried that and MPlayer doesn't let me add it to the playlist.

Lordx_
Forum Regular
Mar 11, 2006, 03:46 PM

That is odd. Which version are you running? Mine is 1.0pre8. I'm not sure if its the newest version, but I downloaded it from http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/18580 and it seems to play FLV video fine.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Mar 11, 2006, 07:43 PM

Ok now I see what's wrong, the MPlayer 1.0pre8 rc4 (from the MPlayer Project) DOES play .FLV videos. I had the MPlayer 2.0b8r5, which for some reason does NOT play .FLV videos.

Oh well, thanks for the tip. I have since trashed the other FLV Players and kept only this MPlayer instead.

Forum Links
Forum Rules