Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Rickster or Tim2 how's Omniweb 5.0 coming along?

Rickster or Tim2 how's Omniweb 5.0 coming along? (Page 3)
Amorya
Mac Elite
Sep 25, 2003, 04:27 PM

Originally posted by Rickster:
Well, y'all wanted better JavaScript support -- we now support the functions for bringing focus to a window, and we didn't in 4.2. Unfortunately, more and more sites like to put that in their onload handler...

We're not too keen on this either, so expect to see an option to override it (like you can with popups) in a future release. (4.5.x or 5.0, dunno which it'll end up being.)
Great!

I find this happens with things like AppleInsider - did they really code that in specially?

The "instant-back" caching mechanism had to change a lot for WebCore... in particular, we weren't able to get a caching scheme for framesets working within the schedule for 4.5. (You'll find that most of the sites for which instant-back doesn't work are FRAMESET pages or pages containing IFRAMES. Lots of sites are putting their ads in IFRAMES lately.) Again, this is something we'd like to get into our next release.

Possible workaround: use a CSS stylesheet to block IFRAME'd ads. (See this macosxhints article for help with the stylesheet, and the "Complete Defaults List" in OmniWeb's help for how to enable it.)
Thanks for the workaround. DOWN WITH IFRAMES!

(possibly allow iframe-blocking in OW5?)

Amorya
What the nerd community most often fail to realize is that all features aren't equal. A well implemented and well integrated feature in a convenient interface is worth way more than the same feature implemented crappy, or accessed through a annoying interface.

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 25, 2003, 06:27 PM

Rickster said:
Our aim is to make any setting that you'd want to change on a per-site basis be available as a site-specific preference
Just remember that a site is not just a top level domain. There's a lot of different sites at geocities.com (though you probably want to turn off backgrounds and font abuse for all of them )

Looking forward to 5.0....

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2003, 06:35 PM

Hmm, I've found an issue with InfoTrac and OmniWeb 4.5. It seems that if you type something into the search field and hit Return, it just reloads the page. The search doesn't actually happen unless you click the "Search" button with the mouse.

Since this works with Camino, I'm guessing it's a bug in OW.

Unfortunately, you need a username/password to get into InfoTrac, and it has to be linked from your school, so I don't think I can provide a link.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

MrBS
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2003, 08:53 PM

Originally posted by CharlesS:
Hmm, I've found an issue with InfoTrac and OmniWeb 4.5. It seems that if you type something into the search field and hit Return, it just reloads the page. The search doesn't actually happen unless you click the "Search" button with the mouse.

Since this works with Camino, I'm guessing it's a bug in OW.

Unfortunately, you need a username/password to get into InfoTrac, and it has to be linked from your school, so I don't think I can provide a link.
Does the form have an "action"? It's required by standards, but lots of sites don't have them. Camino is a bit more forgiving here, as is IE.

Post a snippet of the source if you could.
~BS

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 25, 2003, 09:07 PM

Here's the source for the form (sorry about the length)

<FORM NAME="form1" METHOD="GET" ACTION="/itw/infomark/399/808/39381302w5/3">
<TABLE CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=8 BORDER=1>
<TR><TD BGCOLOR="#ffffcc">
<FONT SIZE="-1" COLOR=#CC0000 FACE="arial"><STRONG>Keyword search</STRONG></FONT><P>
<STRONG>Click in the entry box and enter search term(s)</STRONG>
<BR>
<INPUT NAME="first" TYPE="TEXT" VALUE="" SIZE="48" MAXLENGTH="100" ALIGN=CENTER>
<INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" VALUE="Search">
<INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" NAME="clretf" VALUE="Clear Form">
<BR>
<INPUT NAME="sbaction" TYPE="HIDDEN" VALUE="et">
Search for words <INPUT TYPE="RADIO" NAME="scope" VALUE="1" CHECKED>in title, citation, abstract <INPUT TYPE="RADIO" NAME="scope" VALUE="2">in entire article content
<BR>Type words to search for. You can use AND, OR, NOT. Results
are sorted by date.
</TD></TR></TABLE>
<P><TABLE WIDTH=546 CELLPADDING=0 CELLSPACING=0>
<TR><TD COLSPAN=2><STRONG>Limit the current search (optional)</STRONG>
</TD></TR>
<TR><TD VALIGN=TOP><FONT SIZE="-1"><INPUT TYPE="CHECKBOX" NAME="second" VALUE="xx" >to articles with text
<BR>
<INPUT TYPE="CHECKBOX" NAME="third" VALUE="xx" >to refereed publications
</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD COLSPAN=2><FONT SIZE="-1">
by date
<INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="fourth" VALUE="" SIZE=30 MAXLENGTH="100">
</FONT></TD></TR>
to the following journal(s)
<INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="fifth" VALUE="" SIZE=30 MAXLENGTH="100">
<INPUT TYPE="SUBMIT" NAME="sbbrowse" VALUE="Browse">
</FONT></TD></TR>
to entries containing the word(s)
<INPUT TYPE="TEXT" NAME="sixth" VALUE="" SIZE=30 MAXLENGTH="100">
</FONT></TD></TR>
</TABLE>
</FORM>

Michaelm8000
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 26, 2003, 02:17 AM

Originally posted by nickm:
Rickster said:

Just remember that a site is not just a top level domain. There's a lot of different sites at geocities.com (though you probably want to turn off backgrounds and font abuse for all of them )

Looking forward to 5.0....
We are going to have appropriate preferences be set either to a all sites, a specific domain, or a specific site. You will love it.

ambush
Banned
Sep 30, 2003, 07:03 AM

Oh and, another request, could you guys thread WebCore so it doesn't lag like there's no tomorrow on ign.com?

cpac
Professional Poster
Sep 30, 2003, 10:31 AM

actually, I think they said they couldn't thread webcore as it would require a massive effort and make their code diverge from Apple's too much.
cpac

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2003, 01:22 PM

Tabs? If it had tabs I'd have a good chance of switching from Safari.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 01:52 PM

ryaxnb: Omni has already stated that there will be tabs. Their own engineer told us here.

Michaelm8000
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 02:23 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
ryaxnb: Omni has already stated that there will be tabs. Their own engineer told us here.
Did we mention that they blow every other implementation of tabs out of the water? They are both more useful and more fun with plenty of cool animations to keep you busy for days.

bewebste
Senior User
Sep 30, 2003, 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Michaelm8000:
Did we mention that they blow every other implementation of tabs out of the water? They are both more useful and more fun with plenty of cool animations to keep you busy for days.
Bah! You talk and talk, but you have no screenshots! Defend your honor and your company's honor, and post screenshots, if you dare!

*crosses fingers*

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 30, 2003, 02:37 PM

That's great to hear but take it easy on the ego

Michaelm8000
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 30, 2003, 02:38 PM

Originally posted by Adam Betts:
That's great to hear but take it easy on the ego
It is not my ego, it is the tabs. Just wait till you see them.

gregomni
Forum Regular
Sep 30, 2003, 03:12 PM

Well, they are awfully cool, but you probably should take it easy until they can make that determination for themselves.

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 30, 2003, 03:31 PM

Yeah... put the SP up or SHUT UP!!

(just kidding, just in case the smiley does not make it).

But seriously... Sneaky Peek... please... please...

BZ

Originally posted by gregomni:
Well, they are awfully cool, but you probably should take it easy until they can make that determination for themselves.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by bewebste:
Bah! You talk and talk, but you have no screenshots! Defend your honor and your company's honor, and post screenshots, if you dare!

*crosses fingers*
Yeah! We dare you guys to post some screenshots!

ambush
Banned
Sep 30, 2003, 03:42 PM

ROTFL.

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Sep 30, 2003, 03:42 PM

now, they are two of the same, especially in this internet age we live in now, with Moon Pies, and Pies of Moon orgin.... see? see what I am saying!?

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Sep 30, 2003, 05:29 PM

Are the tabs going to be somekind of in-app Expos�? Is it going to make use of Quartz Extreme's power and make, as you move your cursor close to an edge of the window, the pages will start to curl inwards ala Panther sheets to reveal the page that's underneath? Are we going to get cube effects or page-flipping effects when changing webpages?

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Sep 30, 2003, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by Nebagakid:
now, they are two of the same, especially in this internet age we live in now, with Moon Pies, and Pies of Moon orgin.... see? see what I am saying!?
I'm sufficiently secure in my level of knowledge and general intelligence that I can comfortably say that I have no effin' idea what you're talking about.

But I'm keen to understand, please do elaborate.

Man, I would kill for some screenshots of this new tab stuff. Or perhaps that's not valid reason to kill. OK, I'd kill for a sneaky peak, but only injure or maim for screenshots.

I need dinner.

oVeRmInD911
Senior User
Oct 1, 2003, 01:46 AM

Okay, while we're not getting screenshots, let me ask you this. When you run "top", does OmniWeb still monopolize the thread count?

I've always admired how OmniWeb would have 25 threads to display these forums, meanwhile here I am, I can't even do one extra thread without making my app so unstable that I'm tempted to send it to Microsoft as a resum�.

For shame.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Oct 1, 2003, 04:07 AM

Originally posted by oVeRmInD911:
I can't even do one extra thread without making my app so unstable that I'm tempted to send it to Microsoft as a resum�.
Is your app a Cocoa app? Are you sending messages to AppKit objects from the worker thread? This can cause instability, since the AppKit is not thread-safe, although the Foundation is. If you look into this method:

-[NSObject performSelectorOnMainThread:withObject:waitUntilDo ne:]

you will find that using it may help solve your problem. Note that the above method will only work with Mac OS X 10.2 and higher. If you want to be compatible with 10.1 and below, you will need to forego this method and instead set up an NSConnection between your worker and main threads, and send messages from the worker thread to the main thread when you want to work with the AppKit.

[edit: what the? Why is that line getting cut off?]

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Rickster
Mac Elite
Oct 1, 2003, 06:44 AM

Take a look at our open-source frameworks. The heavy-threading part of OmniWeb's architecture is all there: numerous Foundation extensions in OmniFoundation to make scheduling tasks across multiple threads easier, a threaded networking library in OmniNetworking, and in OWF a pipeline/processor architecture for building web-type applications that take full advantage of available CPU resources.
Rick Roe
icons.cx | weblog

Horsepoo!!!
Banned
Oct 1, 2003, 07:56 AM

I was under the impression we'd be getting a sneaky peek or a public beta or a final "waaaay before the year's end"...

The "waaaay before the year's end" period ends around October 15th 9:20PM. Are we getting something before that?

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 02:23 AM

I guess they want to surprise us with OmniWeb 5.0's release. My guess would be after Panther becomes final. I know...genius me. However, sneeky peaks are soooooo nice!

Thinine
Mac Elite
Oct 2, 2003, 06:00 AM

If you guys need to use Panther-only features to make OW5 kick more ass, feel free. But make sure OW5 is fast on comps with less than 2 processors. I would use OW4.5, but it's decidedly slower than Safari on my machine (iBook 500).

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by Thinine:
If you guys need to use Panther-only features to make OW5 kick more ass, feel free. But make sure OW5 is fast on comps with less than 2 processors. I would use OW4.5, but it's decidedly slower than Safari on my machine (iBook 500).
They've already said, in this thread no less, that OW 5.0 will run on both Jaguar and Panther.

It doesn't need two processors now (a 500Mhz G3 is hardly pushing any envelopes), and it's not as though they're going to make it slower...
cpac

renpar61
Forum Regular
Oct 2, 2003, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by TheIceMan:
I guess they want to surprise us with OmniWeb 5.0's release. My guess would be after Panther becomes final. I know...genius me. However, sneeky peaks are soooooo nice!
You're right. Sooooooooooo NICE!
C'mon Rick! Throw us a bone...!!!

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2003, 06:30 PM

It just strikes me as so funny that OmniGroup has so many loyal customers (paying, loyal customers) just chomping at the bit to get a peak at their next piece of software.

Sounds a lot like another software (hardware) company I know.

You guys are doing great at OG. Keep you the good work.

BZ

AND GIVE US SNEAK PEEKS!!!!!!!!!!

ryaxnb
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 2, 2003, 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Horsepoo!!!:
I was under the impression we'd be getting a sneaky peek or a public beta or a final "waaaay before the year's end"...

The "waaaay before the year's end" period ends around October 15th 9:20PM. Are we getting something before that?
Yunno I read somewhere that it was going to arrive before years end (Omniweb 5.) So, we may not get a beta way before 2004, but probably in Nov or late Oct.
Trainiable is to cat as ability to live without food is to human.
Steveis... said: "What would scammers do with this info..." talking about a debit card number!

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 3, 2003, 05:03 PM

I know this sounds insane, but I don't know which one I'm more excited to see, Panther 10.3 or OmniWeb 5.0. Yup, I'm THAT crazy! Since I have seen soooo many screenshots and details about Panther, I'm not dying as much. But, since there are no screenshots and no sp's of OW 5.0, it is killing me!

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 4, 2003, 06:14 AM

Will OW5 support JavaConnect/LiveConnect (or whatever u want to call it) so that Applets on hushmail.com will work?

Currently NONE of the Mac browsers work. I find this pretty shameful.

Here is the info on why it doesnt work

https://www.hushmail.com/help.php?PH...b6&subloc=faqs

'Will Hushmail run on my Mac?

Regrettably, Hushmail does not yet work on Macs. Recent tests with MacOS X found Javascript/Java communication (ie: LiveConnect) issues within tested Mac browsers preventing operation of our application.
VirtualPC on Mac is reported to load Hushmail without a problem.'

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 4, 2003, 08:54 AM

give us the medalion..i mean..screenshots

ambush
Banned
Oct 4, 2003, 07:47 PM

please, ONE screeshot

nickm
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2003, 02:05 AM

[quote]
Michaelm8000 wrote: We are going to have appropriate preferences be set either to all sites, a specific domain, or a specific site. You will love it.
[\quote]

So, what is a 'site' then? It seems to me that the best way to define site X is 'all URLs that start with substring X'. However, with this definition,
Google news and Google are two distinct sites. So, I would say that a site is either all the urls from domain X or all URLs that start with X. That I think will cover most cases.

Mike S.
Senior User
Oct 6, 2003, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by nickm:
So, what is a 'site' then? It seems to me that the best way to define site X is 'all URLs that start with substring X'. However, with this definition,
Google news and Google are two distinct sites.
If you look at how OmniWeb handles advanced per site features now (image filters) and assume they'll follow the same pattern then this means it'll probably be handled by regular expression.

If that's the case, you can pretty much set it up any way you want and I do love that so very, very much.

Then again, they could set it up more like their cookie prefs where you'd require entries for each sub-domain. More cumbersome and less powerful, IMO but it would still do the job.

I'd hate to see OmniWeb's prefs end up looking like iCab's. Lots of filter options but it's a horrible mess visually.

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 6, 2003, 06:03 PM

Ok, so it's looking more and more like Panther's coming out Oct. 24 or 25. By all guesstimates, OW 5.0sp1 will await such a release (to incorporate new webcore, etc.).

So here's a plea/suggestion/hope: A nice halloween OW 5.0sp1. You could even keep the new icon secret by releasing it with Rick's(?) old jack-o-lantern icon from the 4.1sp days...

so how 'bout it?
cpac

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 08:19 PM

I vote YES for cpac's suggestions!

Nebagakid
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 10:10 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
Ok, so it's looking more and more like Panther's coming out Oct. 24 or 25. By all guesstimates, OW 5.0sp1 will await such a release (to incorporate new webcore, etc.).

So here's a plea/suggestion/hope: A nice halloween OW 5.0sp1. You could even keep the new icon secret by releasing it with Rick's(?) old jack-o-lantern icon from the 4.1sp days...

so how 'bout it?
I vote YES for cpac'ssuggestions

Mike S.
Senior User
Oct 6, 2003, 10:30 PM

I want to see OW 5 as much as the next OW user but do you all really think that the constant nagging to release a picture, sneaky peek, etc... will make it happen or speed up development?

It'll be shown when they're ready for it to be shown and no sooner.

If it's all in jest then fine but some of this stuff comes off sounding like a person stranded in a desert and begging for water.

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 6, 2003, 10:48 PM

Hehehe. I'm now suddenly thirsty. It's all in good fun. We know those Omni guys aren't gonna cave in to our pleas so we like to mess with them.

Gul Banana
Mac Elite
Oct 7, 2003, 12:46 AM

And it's not our fault they make such good products.
*has moneys set aside for OW 5, loves Omnigraffle but doesn't use it enough to justify spending all that money*
Hmm.. maybe if there's still a productivity bundle thing when 5 is out I'll get that.
[vash:~] banana% killall killall
Terminated

cpac
Professional Poster
Oct 7, 2003, 10:22 AM

Originally posted by Gul Banana:
And it's not our fault they make such good products.
exactly. And no, OGs not going to code faster because we nag, but they might be reminded how excited we, their customers, are about its release, and decide, if they do a limited beta or something (to preserve the 5.0 wow factor) that we're the people to test it (*crosses fingers*)
cpac

gregomni
Forum Regular
Oct 8, 2003, 03:29 PM

Originally posted by cpac:
And no, OGs not going to code faster because we nag,
Hey, they might code faster if you nag, you never know.

I know this thread gets me hyped up about coding for OmniWeb 5, and I can't since I'm on two other projects at the moment . . . .

BZ
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 8, 2003, 03:50 PM

CODE!!

CODE!!

CODE!!

CODE!!

Go OMNIGROUP GO!!!!

CODE!!

CODE!!

CODE!!

BZ

I know this thread gets me hyped up about coding for OmniWeb 5, and I can't since I'm on two other projects at the moment . . . .

TheIceMan  (op)
Mac Elite
Oct 8, 2003, 05:40 PM

BZ: Hehehe.

Mike S.
Senior User
Oct 8, 2003, 10:48 PM

I know this thread gets me hyped up about coding for OmniWeb 5
Hmm, in that case...

Sneaky Peek! Sneaky Peek! Sneaky Peek!

G-R-E-G Where you do want to be? OMNI! OMNI! OMNI!

~_~_~_~_~_~_Incoming Subliminal Message~_~_~_~_ OmniWeb 5 ~_~_~_~Speedy Development~_~_~_~Sneaky Peek~_~_~_Free License for Mike S.~_~_~_No Sleep~_~_~_~More Code~_~_~_~_Release Date Before January 1st 2004~_~_~_

RAH! RAH! RAH!

Ok, I think you get the point

ratlater
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 9, 2003, 10:40 PM

If you can't work on OW 5 directly, you can at least crack the whip on the guys that do

-matt

Ironfist.cmg
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 10, 2003, 12:19 AM

Originally posted by ratlater:
If you can't work on OW 5 directly, you can at least crack the whip on the guys that do

-matt
Not from Portland he can't. Hi Greg!
feh, my image in my sig went away.

Forum Links
Forum Rules