Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Right side of screen is dimmer than left...

Right side of screen is dimmer than left...
s4iscool
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 01:50 PM

Is this a common problem? Could not find info in the search.

even at full brightness on my alumbook 15", the right side is noticably dimmer

Is this a repair that takes a lot of time? Common problem?
Thanks

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Nov 25, 2003, 02:29 PM

There have been a few threads about this on Apple's forums. My 15" AlBook suffered the same after the first month of ownership. I called Apple and described the problem. They sent a box and in a week's time I had my PB back with a new screen and the illumination is even now.

Call AppleCare.

acedloring
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2003, 05:03 PM

I have the exact same problem. I've already sent in my powerbook twice for white spots repair. Thought it was finally fixed.... Now the right side of my screen is significantly darker than the left (it starts from the bottom right corner of the screen and moves upwards in a dome shape). In any event, Apple acknowledged the problem. They agreed to give me a new computer since I have now sent this thing in 3 times within a months period. Definetly call Apple.

nate_02
Senior User
Nov 25, 2003, 08:37 PM

I had my screen replaced once for white spots, and it was fine with the exception of two dead pixels.

Now two days ago, I noticed the right side of my screen is darker. The dark spot is about 4 inches wide. I took my PB to the apple store and the "genius" couldn't see it. That's when I noticed that I doesn't show up until my PB has been on for a while.

He still gave me a case number. I hope the repair doesn't take two weeks like it did last time.
-nate

hadocon
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 09:57 PM

I just got my 15" today after waiting over 6 weeks for it. I just noticed now that my screen is definatly darker in the lower right hand corner. It is not drastic, but heck it bothers me. I guess I am going to have to contact Apple about this, but I don;t want to have to send this away already - The 15" is sure turning out to be a beeotch! Other than the screen, it is a great machine...
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

jango
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 25, 2003, 10:37 PM

reading threads like this makes me think that maybe we apple users are a little bit anal about perfection. I have 15" albook and it's perfect, but I think if I kept looking for flaws I would eventually find one...and another..and another. What do you guys think? It's a machine, so it can't be completely flawless.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 10:41 PM

Originally posted by jango:
reading threads like this makes me think that maybe we apple users are a little bit anal about perfection. I have 15" albook and it's perfect, but I think if I kept looking for flaws I would eventually find one...and another..and another. What do you guys think? It's a machine, so it can't be completely flawless.
??? I paid over $3K for this... Apple's site says that "You will love the fit and finish"... Well, mine is defective. When I sell this in a year I want to reap what I sowed when I paid for this - a buyer is going to see a dark corner and say "Why is this dark?" What do I say then??? I am sending it back when I get a chance. I have a year of Applecare - Sometime in this year I will send it in, but you can be assured that I am going to get what I paid for.
20+ year MacNN forum member. MacBook Air 11" 1.6Ghz 4GB 128GB Backlit Keyboard, 4S, iPad Mini

nate_02
Senior User
Nov 25, 2003, 11:27 PM

I know I probably wouldn't care as much if it was a PC laptop.
-nate

spatterson
Mac Elite
Nov 25, 2003, 11:35 PM

If you had the problem the others are speaking about then I am sure that you would feel the same way. Having oneside of your display become darker than the other is pretty serious.

John G. Stillmank
Nov 26, 2003, 12:03 AM

I'm also having this problem but am waiting a while to let Apple catch up on its screen problems. I'd hate to send the thing in and be without it, but I don't like the screen brightness issue either. Right side darker than the left, just as described above, but it didn't happen right away, only after I'd had the machine a while.
15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 80GB. Airport Extreme. 4G iPod 60GB.

s4iscool  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 10:34 AM

right you would be truly dumb to not notice this problem, and yes it is a problem. Looking at a screen and having your eyes adjusting to two varying brightness screens is wrong. It actually gives you a headache after looking at the screen. Im trying to work on just the left side for now. Absolutely poor quality control on apples part.

This is my first and last apple product.

Thorts
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 26, 2003, 03:00 PM

I have a year old 15" TiBook, and I started noticing the same darker area in the lower right corner about 4 months ago, so the problem is not limited to the AlBooks. Also, it seems to be intermittant and is really only visible with a white background.

I might wait until the screen probs are fixed and take it to my new local Apple store here in Seattle and see what they say.

Sean

s4iscool  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 26, 2003, 05:56 PM

wow this alum15 is turning out to be a really piece of crap. Sorry but Im so disappointed in the "switch"

ae86_16v
Mac Elite
Nov 26, 2003, 06:13 PM

Yup. . . mine is like that. It just started developing this week. I have been using it since the second week of announcement. Luck my that I don't have any white spots. . . just dark ones.

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Nov 26, 2003, 08:30 PM

I came so close to getting the 15" but opted for the 17" becasue the 512 ram was on a single stick. It just bothered me that the 15" was only a few $$ less and had this crummy ram config. But now, I am just so pleased! The 17" is faster, longer battery life, better speakers and screen and is even bigger than the 15" I truly am sorry for those with the 15" are having problems - I hope for Apple that they are a minority of buyers but I am starting to suspect not. Reminder - do not buy Rev A of any Apple portable - ever!

BenN
Nov 27, 2003, 11:49 AM

My 15" AlBook also has uneven illumination, with the left 1/3 noticeably brighter than the centre & right side.

However, its only noticeable with a white background (I first noticed it while checking for white spots - none of those thankfully), and only when the screen is set to 1/2 brightness.

With screen set to full brightness, illumination seems to be even. So I guess its a trade-off between battery life & visual perfection. Fortunately, I have two batteries, so that's not a problem .

Nevertheless, I dropped a lot of ��� on this, so I'm tempted to send it to Apple for repair. But I'm moving to Japan in a month's time, so I guess I'll be harrassing Apple Japan over this issue (yes, I've got AppleCare).

I've read on Apple's forums that this problem is more noticeable when the 'Book is first powered up or woken from sleep, and therefore cold; and that it goes away once the screen has 'warmed up'. Not sure about this.

hadocon
Mac Elite
Nov 27, 2003, 12:01 PM

Mine gets worse with time...

abo
Nov 30, 2003, 04:08 AM

My son noticed it a couple of days ago. On mine the left side of the screen is noticeably lighter than the righthand side.

Also have some white spots.

Apple really dropped the ball on these screens. I bought mine after the initial reports of the white spots, figuring that Apple could probably identify which screens were causing the problem and would of course not let any defective screens to ship. Well, I was wrong.

I can't give up my computer for the 2 weeks or so of repair it would take, so I guess I'm stuck. Great job Apple!

wy4tt
Dedicated MacNNer
Nov 30, 2003, 04:33 AM

guess i'm the only one with a dimmer left side. the right side is actually brighter. especially when brightness is turned down. combine with spots, and i've got a winner. oh well, i'll send it in soon.

NightEyes
Forum Regular
Nov 30, 2003, 05:19 PM

abo, fwiw, my PB was only gone for a week when I sent it in to have the LCD replaced due to uneven illumination. You might not be without your computer for two weeks.

nate_02
Senior User
Dec 4, 2003, 01:18 AM

The right side of my screen kept getting dimmer and dimmer. It was incredibly bad yesterday. It seemed like there was almost no backlight in one spot.

Today, it is still dimmer on the right side, but it's hardly as noticeable as it was. I thought it just might take a while like it normally does for the screen to get dimmer, but I had my PB on for about 6 hours straight with the screen on the whole time. I'm not sure if I should send it in now.
-nate

dmcnickle
Senior User
Dec 4, 2003, 10:37 AM

I had the same problems and sent my powerbook in for a new display.
Airborne picked it up about 4 pm on Monday and I had it back at 9 am Wed.
The new display is much brighter than the old one.

s4iscool  (op)
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 11:50 AM

I just sent mine off this mroning, hopefully Illl have it back on Monday, buyt i have a sticking keyboard so that may delay things if they dont have parts. fingers crossed.
15" PB/1.25 G4/1gb ram/80gb hd/Superdrive
+ special screen with white spots AND dimmer right side than left. 2 Keyboard replacements, warping Al case wobbles on a flat table, squeeks when typing...etc.etc.etc. Superb!

elvis2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 4, 2003, 01:06 PM

The screws to my memory access door are not completely flush! I'm sending this back to Apple -- I will not stand for it!

I've also noticed that the spacing between the case and the top panel (around the keyboard) is a hair wider on the left than on the right. I want a refund!

But yes... my screen is also a little darker on the right than on the left. But then I look at it from a different angle and now it is darker on the left!

I sense that a number of Powerbook buyers should have considered options other than a notebook.

s0litude
Forum Regular
Dec 4, 2003, 04:35 PM

Hi!

Forum Links
Forum Rules