Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Looking for help sharing word file in a mac/pc ofice office

Looking for help sharing word file in a mac/pc ofice office
erw
Forum Regular
Apr 27, 2005, 05:27 PM

This is not as easy as it sounds!! I need to be able to share word documents in a mixed Mac/PC.

The problem is the word files contain embedded links to excel tables (so if the table is updated in excel it is changed in the word document too). However when you edit the word doucument on a mac then save it, then try and open it on a PC all the links have been broken!?!

I feel there must be a simple solution but I cannot see it. If I cannot solve it I will have to buy a PC. Please help!!!

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 27, 2005, 08:21 PM

Why are you linking it into the word document? They should be separate files then added later or made into a simple table. This is a poor way to do it even from pc-to-pc....

They should be separate files, why do you need to edit excel tables in word? Why can't you just pass along the excel file?

If you need to print the excel table into a word document you could create an excel sheet, that saves into a "blank" template word document in the same directory.

erw  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 04:05 AM

There are multiple people editing different parts of a document over a period of time. Data is gathered and added to the excel sheet which needs to be reflected in the word doc.

Is there a microsoft word forum?

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by erw
There are multiple people editing different parts of a document over a period of time. Data is gathered and added to the excel sheet which needs to be reflected in the word doc.

Is there a microsoft word forum?
Here?

erw  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 01:14 PM

no help there, thanks anyway..

Macola
Mac Elite
Apr 28, 2005, 01:38 PM

I don't think there's an easy fix. If you're linking to files from Word (Windows or Mac) the pathnames will break every time you transfer the file to a different system, because Word uses absolute pathnames. Something like "C:\My Documents\Whatever" will have no meaning on a Mac.
( Last edited by Macola; Apr 28, 2005 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Disbaled smilies)
I do not like those green links and spam.
I do not like them, Sam I am.

erw  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 28, 2005, 04:00 PM

The path names should remain the same as we are all editing the one document stored on a server on the network

cpac
Professional Poster
Apr 28, 2005, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by erw
The path names should remain the same as we are all editing the one document stored on a server on the network
Except that PCs and Macs see path names differently. All windows paths (even to the server) will look something like: KProject\ExcelFile.xls - the same file on a Mac will look like /Network/Server/Project/Excelfile.xls
cpac

erw  (op)
Forum Regular
Apr 29, 2005, 07:03 AM

Thanks for your help. Looks like I will have to try an persuade them to ditch PCs and get all macs

Appleman
Mac Elite
Apr 29, 2005, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by erw
Thanks for your help. Looks like I will have to try an persuade them to ditch PCs and get all macs

ashtoash
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 29, 2005, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by cpac
Except that PCs and Macs see path names differently. All windows paths (even to the server) will look something like: KProject\ExcelFile.xls - the same file on a Mac will look like /Network/Server/Project/Excelfile.xls

Why don't you put the 2 files in the same directory? I'm totally confused as to why everyone wants to make this so hard....

If you put word.doc in the same DIRECTORY as excel.xls file then the word document can just link to it by calling up excel.xls rather than a full path, IE the full path is "excel.xls"

Word really wasn't designed for collaborating like this, you guys are going to work on the file at the same time and screw it up when saving.

really people should just be doing separate things and submitting the changes to somebody who's responsible for assembly. Or if your brave use pdflib and make a PHP file on the server that cracks out PDFs.

What data in the office is everyone sharing?

Forum Links
Forum Rules