Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > Your favorite iPod protection?

Your favorite iPod protection?
MathiasDK
Jun 15, 2005, 03:04 PM

Hello,

just got a brand new iPod 40GB clickwheel. I want to keep it mint, so I will need someking of cover/sleeve for it. I have an iPod sock, but I want something where I can control the iPod without removing it from the cover.

What do you recoment?

I want to spend about $30-$40

Dale Sorel
Mac Elite
Jun 15, 2005, 06:49 PM

theyoda3
Jun 15, 2005, 10:22 PM

Try an iSkin maybe. They fall in that price range. They are a form fitting silicone protective layer that comes in lots of cool colors. It's kind of like a protective glove. My brother has one and I;m ordering one for my iPod mini. The only downside is that the silicone collects dust and paticles. It's not too noticable or bothersome and you can wash the sleeve in soap and water. It also has opening to get at all the controls and ports. Check out their website, either google it, or it might be iSkin.com

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2005, 12:12 AM

Radtech Podsleevz. Won't protect from a fall but the Optex cloth does a good job of keeping scratches away.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Seb G
Forum Regular
Jun 16, 2005, 03:11 AM

Don't bother. Get it scratched. Only the first scratch hurts. Afterwards, your iPod is soooo much easier to handle because you stop worrying about its mint condition.

honz
Jun 16, 2005, 03:30 AM

I originally bought an iSkin, and it's great at what it does: all round protection, but I went off the look quite quickly (and it attracts dust and lint from all around to come and stick onto it - can be solved by rubbing talcum powder on it.)
Just this week I got myself an iVodDJ from Vaja Again all round protection (except the top is slightly exposed) But not only does this case protect it also looks really cool in own right. Bit pricey, but highly recommended.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 16, 2005, 04:47 AM

Contour Design
Originally Posted by Seb G
Don't bother. Get it scratched. Only the first scratch hurts. Afterwards, your iPod is soooo much easier to handle because you stop worrying about its mint condition.
I thought much the same way as far as my first iPod (2G 10GB) was concerned. But now, years later, as my brother prepares to sell it to get a mini, I really wish I had taken better care of it. Throughout its life it was always in a case, but Apple's included leather holder/clip provided insufficient protection. My brother got me an iSee awhile after purchase, but by that time a lot of damage had already been done. From then on I pledged I would never even think of opening a new iPod until its case was waiting for it.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

doucy2
Senior User
Jun 16, 2005, 09:37 AM

i def love the iskin
prevents all of tose nasty scratch and keeps it from slipping around

Randman
Posting Junkie
Jun 16, 2005, 09:42 AM

Available for the mini as well. Lots of colors too.

art1st
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 17, 2005, 04:59 AM

i've got the clear screen protector under a decalgirl skin wrapped in a body glove case, so i'm pretty much covered for anything short of a nuclear attack.

sib
Baninated
Jul 4, 2005, 06:18 PM

i just never removed my original sticker that sits on the wheel-leave it there to keep it nice and mint!

John G. Stillmank
Jul 23, 2005, 02:50 PM

I use no protection, no case. Mine is all scratched to hell and I love it.
15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 80GB. Airport Extreme. 4G iPod 60GB.

wilsonng
Senior User
Jul 24, 2005, 12:09 AM

If you want the ultimate in protection from drops and scratches then take a look at this:

http://ilounge.com/index.php/reviews...oughskin-ipod/

I bought a Speck ToughSkin last week and think it's the tank of all the iPod cases. It makes the iPod bulkier but it definitely gives me peace of mind.

The rubber case and its side bumpers gives me a better grip for my butterfingers and also appears to have the capability of absorbing quite a bit more shock than a bare iPod or even the nice looking skins that don't provide anything for drop protection. It can fit the smaller 20GB iPod up to the bulkier 60GB iPod.

The Speck ToughSkin hides the iPod's sleek design but I don't mind. I'd rather disguise my iPod since I'm not in the mood to get mugged for my iPod because people will be looking for the telltale sign of white iPod earphones and the white colored faceplate. There is a frosted clear version. I opted for the black version. But that red one did look pretty cool.

Like most cases, I can't use it with a dock (no big loss). I use the cable anyways. I did have to trim the top hole just a little bit so that I can fit my AirClick remote.

uicandrew
Senior User
Jul 24, 2005, 02:13 AM

i just use cheap pda screen protectors to cover the screen and virtually the entire chrome back and sides. it adds almost no thickness and i'm only spending $5 or so. i refuse to contribute to the absolute ripoff ipod accessory economy. i mean, it only costs them 50 cents or so for the material, but then they turn around and charge $20-$30 for a case?

SSharon
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2005, 02:38 AM

I use an isee mini (see contour link above) and have been very happy with it. My main concern was the screen and it covers the whole thing. To protect the wheel I put the isee case over the original plastic sleeve. I also have an itrip mini which sits on top of the mini and case without problems and allows me to use a car charger with the case on. $20 for some good protection and a removable back so you can still use the apple belt clip or arm band.
AT&T iPhone 5S and 6; 13" MBP; MDD G4.

lavar78
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2005, 09:26 AM

I use the PodShield by TrendyGeek. I absolutely love it. It protects the back, sides, and screen from scratches and fingerprints, but it's so thin that you can still appreciate the size and sleekness of the iPod. Also, it uses static cling instead of adhesive. I can't recommend them enough.

"I'm virtually bursting with adequatulence!" - Bill McNeal, NewsRadio

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 03:41 PM

I purcased my 2nd iPod at Target, and a Belkin case because it was there, the case actually scratches the screen, too bad i didn't find about it until it was too late

HawgJawl
Banned
Jul 24, 2005, 05:45 PM

plastic polish and some elbow grease folks.

GT3000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 26, 2005, 11:25 PM

use your pocket thats the best protection

wilsonng
Senior User
Jul 27, 2005, 01:25 AM

Sure, put it in your pocket along with keys that will scratch it. It would be best to put it in one of those form-fitting skins before doing that.

GT3000 does bring up a point though..... Hiding the iPod would also be a way to protect the iPod from theft as well.

I hide mine with the Speck ToughSkin so that it doesn't really look too much like an iPod from a distance. Then I usually put it in my bag and just have the earphones sticking it. I also bought the AirClick Remote control so that I can adjust the volume and skip between tracks. An alternative would be to be the Apple wired remote + headphones.

Sometimes I just use the belt clip with the Speck Toughskin and then cover it with my shirt so nobody sees my iPod.

At least nobody would see my iPod on my hip, in my hand, or on an armband to want to kill me for it. I'm not much for fashion statements. The iPod is a work of beauty but definitely not something I wanna get murdered for.

ncsurfer
Jul 27, 2005, 01:35 AM

The best iPod case around is made by Gravis. They range from $20-$40. Go to www.gravisfootwear.com and look under the bags. They encase the iPod and have a lift-up cover.
15" 1.5Ghz Aluminum Powerbook
30gb iPod Photo

GT3000
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 27, 2005, 01:33 PM

i dont have to worry about scratchs i have a shuffle

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jul 27, 2005, 01:41 PM

I used a PDA screen protector for the display. Beyond that, I'm not concerned about scratches

Dakkon
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2005, 02:23 AM

I’m in the navy, and I’m an electrician so i get a lot of carbon dust on my hands, and i was wondering if anyone made a case that would cover the entire ipod case, minus the top and bottom, my main concern is getting the wheel ruined due to dirty hands...

thanks for any advice..

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 1, 2005, 02:45 AM

Dakkon, you could look into one of the cases that are waterproof. You are still able to operate them but they provide a good amount of protection. iLounge (formerly ipodlounge.com) has reviews on those cases, for the minis and regular iPods.

wilsonng
Senior User
Aug 1, 2005, 03:12 AM

Never tried it but look at

http://www.otterbox.com/

http://www.methodshop.com/mp3/review...ni/index.shtml

It certainly looks tough. The Otterbox says it has a clear plastic membrane covering the wheel to allow you to access the iPod clickwheel.

It might be better to get the iPod Shuffle - it is certainly built for more rugged use....

I'd probably recommend a remote control like the AirClick so that I don't get my hands on the iPod. It lacks the ability to switch between playlist but I rarely switch between playlists. I don't really give too much worry about that because I usually just put my iPod in shuffle mode and let her play. The only time I am active with my iPod is adjusting the volume, skipping to the previous/next track, and pausing the currently played song. I have the AirClick and it works great for me. I just clip it to my shirt pocket and access it from there.

There was one remote that I can't remember but it also allowed you to switch between playlist.
( Last edited by wilsonng; Aug 1, 2005 at 03:19 AM. )

razortotherosary
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 01:16 AM

I use the contour showcase black and i absolutly love it it cost me about 35 bucks so it isnt completely cheap but you dont have to worry about most of the ipod getting scrathed you have access to all the controls including the hold swtich and it has an opening for the dock connector but does not seat in the dock so you have to take the ipod out or plug the cable straight in. the only other problem i have is it is also not Itrip compatible but all in all aside from that it is a GREAT case

Steve1212
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 2, 2005, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by John G. Stillmank
I use no protection, no case. Mine is all scratched to hell and I love it.
LOL, that's how mine was getting. Finally bought myself a $30 cover leather case with a clip. Best money i ever spent!
20GB Ipod
My First Apple Machine

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 01:17 PM

I bought an iSkin the day I got my 40GB. That was 10 months ago and, on the rare occasion that I take it off, I'm still impressed with how pristine it looks.

Forum Links
Forum Rules