Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > How can I reformat/reset my iPod without using Windows?

How can I reformat/reset my iPod without using Windows?
aeropl
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2005, 08:40 PM

Background Info:
I tried to backup a bunch of files onto my iPod in disk mode. In the middle of the operation the transfer was stuck in a hung mode (the animated file folder was moving but nothing was actually happening). The next time I tried to open that folder, I got an error: "Files corrupted" or something similar. Ever since then, when I connect my iPod, Windows XP will freeze. I can force quit the process explorer.exe and after disconnecting my iPod, windows will work again.

My question:
I either need to delete those corrupted files, run chkdsk, or reformat the iPod's hard drive. Since Windows will freeze when I connect my iPod, how can I do any of these? Is there anyway to reset the iPod without using Windows (for instance in diagnostic mode)?

John G. Stillmank
Oct 4, 2005, 07:53 PM

Use a Mac . . .
15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 80GB. Airport Extreme. 4G iPod 60GB.

aeropl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 4, 2005, 08:11 PM

Thanks for the helpful answer. I'm really glad you took the time to spell that out for me.

I plan on getting a Mac but for now I'm stuck with Windows. Tomorrow I'm going to plug my ipod into my friends iBook and see if I can't delete those files.

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Oct 5, 2005, 07:21 AM

Sorry I do not know too much about Windows. But does iTunes still run with explorer.exe hung?
If it does you could use iTunes to eject the pod but leave it connected, some disk utilities on the Mac will still "see" it an can operate on it.

Or you could disable "enable disk use" in iTunes and then explorer.exe will not see it but the Apple iPod updater should.

Good Luck

aeropl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 5, 2005, 04:46 PM

littlegreenspud, thanks for the suggestion but iTunes is also unresponsive when I try to hook up my iPod. I still can't figure out how to reformat the iPod's hard drive without using XP. Maybe next I'll call Apple.

littlegreenspud
Senior User
Oct 5, 2005, 05:31 PM

If you quit explorer.exe and leave the ipod still connected can you run the iPod restorer/updater?

aeropl  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 9, 2005, 01:12 PM

Nope, the iPod updater is able to run but the window is just blank with no buttons able to click. Basically unresponsive but in a weird way.

Forum Links
Forum Rules