Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > The New Apple Video Ipod SUCKS the big one.....

The New Apple Video Ipod SUCKS the big one.....
YY911DC
Nov 10, 2005, 11:36 AM

Well, after having my ipod for 2 weeks, The technology portion is amazing, don't get me wrong. But the design cannot suck enough!!!! It plays video great, music sounds good as my last ipod, but the Screen.....All you have to do is look at it and I think it will scratch. I purchased a set of ipod socks when I bought the video ipod. I think the screen gets scratched form that. I am going to return this unit to apple next week. I have handled this thing with so much care, but alas, it is a piece of junk. Any other suggestions? Thanks

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2005, 11:46 AM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 10, 2005, 12:36 PM

I don't know what you people are doing with your iPods. I've had mine for 3 weeks and nary a scratch. Yes, I'm careful with it.

YY911DC  (op)
Nov 10, 2005, 12:41 PM

What my ipod does is sit on my desk all day long charhing on my G5 and rest in a doc when it is in my car so that I can listen to it. I don't even use it to walk around with....theese screens are made of a polymer and not the hard plastic that the older ones were made of.

I have had 2 other Ipods, a 5GB original and a 40GB ipod. They scratched yes...but when they were dropped, All I do is just handle my ipod. This is a poorly produced product by apple.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 01:33 PM

Premise: iPods that are not in protective cases will get scratched.
Ergo, if you don't use a case, then your iPod will get scratched.

The logic is not difficult to grasp.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

YY911DC  (op)
Nov 10, 2005, 01:44 PM

The logic is difficult to grasp for this product. I have read nothing but nightmares in may forums for this and the nano. There are nothing but complaints from alot of people about this product. That is why I purchased the ipod socks. My 40 GB had scratches ont he screen, and I had that for over 2 years now, and that went thru much more wear and tear then thsi video ipod ever will.

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
Premise: iPods that are not in protective cases will get scratched.
Ergo, if you don't use a case, then your iPod will get scratched.

The logic is not difficult to grasp.
Oh come on. I have owned dozens of portable devices over my lifetime. NOT ONE has scratched as much as my delicately handled nano.

My PSP, cellphone, camera etc are all shinny and pretty with a tiny scratch or 2 after a year of heavy use.

I babied the nano, just held it for 4 hours and put it in a soft coat pocket. It looked worse than any other product I have owned after that. There is clearly something wrong with the coating on these things hence the multiple lawsuits.

"She's gone from suck to blow!"

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Nov 10, 2005, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Dark Helmet
Oh come on. I have owned dozens of portable devices over my lifetime. NOT ONE has scratched as much as my delicately handled nano.

My PSP, cellphone, camera etc are all shinny and pretty with a tiny scratch or 2 after a year of heavy use.

I babied the nano, just held it for 4 hours and put it in a soft coat pocket. It looked worse than any other product I have owned after that. There is clearly something wrong with the coating on these things hence the multiple lawsuits.
I didn't say that without a case your random electronic device will get scratched. I did say that without a case your iPod will get scratched. Is it a tort for Apple not to explicitly warn people of this well known fact? Should there be a surgeon general's warning on the iPod box? Making the iPod more scratch resistant obviously has substantial downsides or else Apple would have done it years ago.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 10, 2005, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac
I didn't say that without a case your random electronic device will get scratched. I did say that without a case your iPod will get scratched. Is it a tort for Apple not to explicitly warn people of this well known fact? Should there be a surgeon general's warning on the iPod box? Making the iPod more scratch resistant obviously has substantial downsides or else Apple would have done it years ago.

Oh please, how long did Apple ship that stupid round mouse with pro machines despite people bitching about it for ages.

ghporter
Administrator
Nov 10, 2005, 03:09 PM

Your cell phone, your PSP, your camera and all sorts of other things are made from a different kind of plastic than the iPod. Typical consumer devices are made from ABS or polystyrene, which are fairly soft and resist scratching, though they flex a lot and are prone to friction-induced wear. The iPod case is made of polycarbonate, which is fairly hard and thus shows scratches more. It's possible that Apple is using a different polycarbonate formula for the Nano which shows scratches more.

I got X-skins for the two iPods (the Photo model) we have and they are NOT scratched up, though getting the right skin for the 20GB unit took a while and it does have a few scratches you can see if you look for them. And I got the skins specifically because they are a less slipery gripping surface, so the iPods don't scoot around all over theplace, not explicitly to protect them from scratches.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 10, 2005, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by YY911DC
The logic is difficult to grasp for this product. I have read nothing but nightmares in may forums for this and the nano. There are nothing but complaints from alot of people about this product. That is why I purchased the ipod socks. My 40 GB had scratches ont he screen, and I had that for over 2 years now, and that went thru much more wear and tear then thsi video ipod ever will.
Two points:

a) These are troubleshooting forums. They're here for people with problems. You're off the mark if you think millions of people are going to be posting here just to report that everything's peachy.

b) The coating on the iPod videos is nowhere near as delicate as on the first batch of nanos.

hangtown
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 06:15 AM

My honest opinion is that many of the people telling everyone who says they scratched their nano that they must have been abusing it probably don't own one. They own a previous generation of ipod. There clearly IS a problem where the nanos are more susceptible to scratching than other ipods in the past were (and probably to some degree the same is true of the 5g ipod).

Regardless of what people might think of class action lawsuits against apple over this, it's not an imaginary syndrome. The "I don't see a problem so therefore everyone else must be an idiot" knee-jerk reaction is fun and all, but it's not helpful and it's also not reflective of reality in this case.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2005, 08:33 AM

Interesting, but I do in fact have a nano. Well, I had it for a while and then my sister bought it. It's still pretty much scratch-free, although it is white, so it won't show as many scratches. My 5G iPod is black though, and it's still pretty much pristine, and I don't even use a case.

Is the nano more prone to scratching than previous models? Possibly. But I think at least part of the explanation is that the nano's small size made people put it in places that the other iPods couldn't go (the "watch pocket" anyone?) and possibly to treat it with less care, or even to forget that it was in the their pocket at all.

Just for the record, I do agree that iPods scratch too easily, overall. But I think all the hubbub about scratching is overblown. If your nano's screen in really unreadable from all the scratches (as someone in the lawsuit claimed) then you must have done something seriously wrong to it.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Nov 11, 2005, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by hangtown
My honest opinion is that many of the people telling everyone who says they scratched their nano that they must have been abusing it probably don't own one. They own a previous generation of ipod. There clearly IS a problem where the nanos are more susceptible to scratching than other ipods in the past were (and probably to some degree the same is true of the 5g ipod).
We own nanos too, and we don't have the scratches people describe. A few days after the first nano lawsuit came out I went to several stores and rubbed the nanos on display with paper towels and tried to scratch them with my fingernail (both claims made in the lawsuit). Not one scratched as easily with those materials as the lawsuit says.

Also, why are there no pictures of the alleged "unreadable screens?" Many of us are saying "PROOF! PUT UP OR SHUT UP!"

gorotdi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 11, 2005, 11:05 AM

Your field testing is unmatched in its scientific validity. You've clearly exposed all of the thousands of dissatisifed consumers as liars.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 11, 2005, 11:22 AM

Well that's sort of the point, isn't it? Are there really thousands of dissatisfied customers? Maybe, but the mere presence of a class-action lawsuit does not mean that all nano owners, or even a significant portion, are unhappy. Unfortunately most of these class-action lawsuits benefit the lawyers involved and few others.

jasong
Mac Elite
Nov 11, 2005, 12:27 PM

This is what gets me, just how many people are complaining? I'm seeing less than 1000 people here on MacNN complaining, and I feel pretty confident that people here would complain given anything approaching the right to do so. Are we talking 10,000 people with "defective" Nanos? 5000? 300? Apple has probably sold over half a million of these suckers already, so if it is 10,000 we are talking about 2% of Nano owners.

Is this really a problem of biblical proportions? I'm willing to bet if you complain enough to Apple they will replace the Nano regardless of whose fault it is. I can't imagine the case is a significant proportion of the cost of a Nano, they can just split the shell and drop the guts into anew case and send it back. Prolly take them a day.
-- Jason

badnewsblair
Senior User
Nov 11, 2005, 01:00 PM

I love my iPod 5Gen 60GB! I use it now more than I use my 17-inch Powerbook. And with Podtropolis now, I have been watching my iPod close to as much as I watch my Tivo! I think the design is amazing with the larger sized screen and the thickness is amazing. I too, was worried about scratches after the nano hub bub and I knew I'd be in trouble because there were no cases when I picked it up. I stuck in an iPod sock as well. I had it in that sock for 2 weeks before I applied my Invisible Shield and it remained flawless. Yes, the iPods scratch easier than other mobile electronics (PSP, Cellies, etc), but we all know this. It is part of the allure of the iPod (the amazing polycarbonate). But based on my personal experience, this iPod is a durable as any of the other previous generations.

Also, next time don't use such an outrageous title for your thread if it misrepresents what your complaints are about. I feel for you paying so much money and then having it scratch. Take it back, but be careful and protect it right away. You will love it more.
[ 15 inch Macbook Pro 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo ][ 20 inch Intel iMac 2 GB RAM / 256 MB ATI XT 1600 ][ iPhone OG (3GS on Reservation)][ White iPod 5th Gen. 60GB ]

Dark Helmet
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 11, 2005, 01:47 PM

Apples has started shipping cases with the nanos. They also are rumoured to be looking into adding another coating of plastic to the front.

rtbarry
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 12, 2005, 03:46 PM

The logic is difficult to grasp for this product. I have read nothing but nightmares in may forums for this and the nano. There are nothing but complaints from alot of people about this product.
people in forums tend to complain. that is their compulsion for posting. to vent.

that said, had my vidPod since day 1, back and forth between various docks and cars. no scratches. not sure what all the fuss is about.

clean off your desk, wash your hands and trim those nails! ;-)

John G. Stillmank
Nov 13, 2005, 11:08 AM

Well, after having my ipod for 2 weeks, The technology portion is amazing, don't get me wrong. But the design cannot suck enough!!!! It plays video great, music sounds good as my last ipod, but the Screen.....All you have to do is look at it and I think it will scratch. I purchased a set of ipod socks when I bought the video ipod. I think the screen gets scratched form that. I am going to return this unit to apple next week. I have handled this thing with so much care, but alas, it is a piece of junk. Any other suggestions? Thanks
So the technology is amazing, plays video great, music as good as your last iPod but because the plastic scratched it's a piece of junk?

My suggestion? Take it back and use the money to buy some other MP3 player (not an iPod), then come here and gush about how it doesn't scratch but bellyache and whine because you don't use it because the technology isn't amazing, it doesn't play video and is harder to use. Will that satisfy you?

SHEESH!
15" Aluminum Powerbook G4, 1.25GHz, 1GB, 80GB. Airport Extreme. 4G iPod 60GB.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 13, 2005, 02:25 PM

Had my 60GB for a couple of weeks now - no problems at all. Mind you, it does live in it's little sleeve.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Nov 13, 2005, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mastrap
Mind you, it does live in its little sleeve.
apostrophinat3d.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Nov 13, 2005, 03:34 PM

Wouldn't that be de-apostrophinated?

Forum Links
Forum Rules