Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Launchbar version 4.1 is FAST

Launchbar version 4.1 is FAST
Dr.Michael
Apr 30, 2006, 06:15 AM

Just to inform you:
Launchbar 4.1 is released and it has a bunch of new features. The best is a noticible speed inhancement. It has been fast before, now it flies...

No - I am not the developer but I use Launchbar since years. Its one of my favorite Mac applications. These guys write really good software.

Macanoid
Senior User
Apr 30, 2006, 06:59 AM

True - Launchbar is blindingly fast. Much faster than anything else. I do wish they'd add an option to change the interface to something like Quicksilver's 'Bezel' interface. On larger displays Launchbar does look tiny at times. Otherwise, just perfect!

vamp07
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Apr 30, 2006, 09:50 AM

Same here. I know QS is awesome but I keep coming back to LB.

DigitalEl
Mac Elite
Apr 30, 2006, 11:26 AM

I use LaunchBar with CMD+Spacebar, just like old times, because Spotlight stopped working for me months ago.
Jalen's dad. Carrie's husband.  partisan. Bleu blanc et rouge.

Hornet
Mac Enthusiast
May 1, 2006, 01:07 AM

Yeah Launchbar 4.1 is very very fast... the betas have been great, good to see the final version out.

The whole launchbar/QS thang. I know QS is meant to be great, I just cant seem to find the energy in me willing to jump into it cold for a few days to try out. Its feature set that let you find a document, decide what to do with it, then do it... seems really cool. Not sure if LB supports all that (I always feel like I only ever touch the surface with these apps). Whichever one you use (I'll put it down to personal preference), these launcher programs totally change your computer life imo

I pity my windows friends who spend 15+ seconds (!!!!) looking for a program or document to open. I show them launchbar, <1 second with speedy fingers and your program is loading already. They don't really get it, seem to be so entrenched with what they use already

threestain
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 04:27 AM

LB can do everything that QS can as I as I can see...

Dr.Michael  (op)
May 1, 2006, 05:22 AM

Originally Posted by Macanoid
I do wish they'd add an option to change the interface to something like Quicksilver's 'Bezel' interface.

On larger displays Launchbar does look tiny at times.
Thats a good point.
I never noticed that because I always worked on powerbooks. Indeed even the fontsize seems to be hardcoded in Launchbar. And the iconsize has only two choices.

Write them a mail. I am sure they will understand your concerns.

Macanoid
Senior User
May 1, 2006, 07:33 AM

I already did They said they're working on that, but as to how/what/when, no-one knows unfortunately

torifile
Mac Elite
May 1, 2006, 02:18 PM

I switches to QS when LB got too slow to be bearable back in the early version 3's. I don't remember exactly when the switch came, but I haven't gone back to it in a while. I don't often abandon software that I've paid for, so I should give it a try again. I must have loved it enough to pay that $20. I'll give it another go.

SwarmyCurve
Grizzled Veteran
May 1, 2006, 04:45 PM

QS has been ridiculously slow for me on my Intel iMac. I could find things faster in the damn finder!

But the new LaunchBar is fast! Phew. So back to LaunchBar it is.

poocat
Mac Elite
May 2, 2006, 10:34 PM

LaunchBar changes the way I use computers. On the new MBP it is blindingly fast. Love the solid work from Obdev... between LB and Little Snitch, they got it all.
"The supreme irony of life is that hardly anyone gets out of it alive."
-Robert A. Heinlein, Job

Forum Links
Forum Rules