Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Our Archives > General Archives > Delicious Monster > New new user...Thanks! Plus some ideas.

New new user...Thanks! Plus some ideas.
thezentiger
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 17, 2006, 10:03 PM

Well, I just started using my Delicious Library I received from the MacHeist special that ends this weekend. This program is just awesome! I'm glad I went for that MacHeist special, otherwise I never would have thought to get Delicious Library. It's filling a need I didn't even know I had! At last estimate I owned about 1500 books, so can tell I'm going to get a lot of mileage out of this softtware. I just love it!

Anyhow, while starting t oenter my library, I did come up with some things I would like the software to do. Perhaps Library can already do some of these things and I jsut don't know it (I did look through help already). Or perhaps, they are ideas that have already been discussed for future versions. Either way, here is what I would find usefull:

1) Being able to export to a (personal) web site so friends can see the library. (Actually, I already saw a thread that seemed to mention that web exporting is being worked on for future versions, thanks!)

2) Be able to sort by more than one item. I saw a way to sort by genre (as a secondary sort). What I want to do is sort by genre, then by author. Also, is there an easier way to sort by genre, so many books like to list more than one genre, I know that's not your doing, but it would be nice to have a way of making that sort easier.

3) I would like to choose a different current value. Right now the current value is listed as the lowest price the Amazon used book section, even if that is only .01! I would like for the current value to be Amazon's official selling price, and only use the used book price if that is all that is available. Or at least have an option that can change that.

4) A little analysis would be good too. Basically, have a way of seeing what the total retail value or total current value (Amazon's price ;-) ) of the books in the library.

Anyhow, that's all I've got. Thanks for the great software! I already can't wait for any future updates!

Delicious Monster
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 18, 2006, 11:42 AM

Exporting and publishing are in the works for the future.

The current value is, indeed, the lowest used price on Amazon, which is prone to outliers. I often tell the tale of a textbook I bought used on Amazon. The average price was $80, but there was one going for $16, which is the one I bought. When it arrived in the mail, it looked like someone found it on the beach somewhere.

Unfortunately, we don't get all used prices (to do a statistical analysis) or the condition of the used items. We just get the lowest price, which is why we include the retail value as well. You can figure, the truth lies between those two.

You can also list the condition of your book and the price you paid, under "My Info." Finally, you can edit the current value field with a price you think is more accurate.

As for sorting, it's already by multiple criteria. In general, whatever you sort by will be followed by creator, then title, with title being overridden as necessary by series and number in series.

You probably didn't notice because genre sorts by all the genres listed, or to sure, by the entire field, regardless of line breaks.

So:
Suspense

comes before:
Suspense
Heroes

comes before:
Suspense
Hotels

With that in mind, you can set your genres. Don't forget you can edit multiple items at once (and autocompletion is also "in the works").

Suspense
Hitchcock
Birds

Suspense
Hitchcock
Hotels

Suspense
Shyamalan
Heroes

mildlydiverting
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 9, 2007, 10:33 AM

If you want to export to web, Listal - List the stuff you love! Movies, TV, music, games and books has an import feature that accepts the Library XML file.

I've used it to get my collection up there: mildlydiverting

Forum Links
Forum Rules