Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Art & Graphic Design > Are "audio" USB hubs any different?

Are "audio" USB hubs any different?
hab
Forum Regular
Jul 17, 2003, 12:04 PM

Are there any opinions about the Griffin USB-Audio Hub (4-Port USB Hub "Optimized for Audio"). They claim that "After extensive internal testing showed that most USB Hubs failed to support USB Audio devices, such as the iMic USB Audio Interface, we did additional research which led to our own solution for a Hub that provided full USB Audio capabilities."

And a review on the Amazon site - "All Hubs are Not Created Equal":

"most hubs are asynchronous (irregular) but the USB-Audio hub is isochronous (at regular intervals) -- a must for USB-audio devices."

Does this product really provide better audio quality than other USB hubs?

imago dei
Jul 17, 2003, 05:27 PM

Hello,

I just recieved my Griffin USB-Audio hub in anticipation of using it with my new interface, the tascam us-122. I do not yet have the interface. so I can't comment directly on its intended use, but just the use in general. The hub itself is well constructed, and comes with a slimline wall wart. The included USB a-b cable also is quite sturdy. For these merrits alone, I feel as though I've justified my purchase. It cost $40.00 via Griffin's web site, which is comparable to other powered hubs. I'll post back with more information once my US-122 arrives.

-imago dei

hab  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 23, 2003, 02:11 PM

b u m p ...

Volanges
Forum Regular
Aug 18, 2003, 10:22 PM

yeah... I'm interested in its performance as well as I need to use it with a Digidesign mBox because one of USB ports is busted on my iBook and I'd rather not shell out $400 for new Logic Board.

booboo
Mac Elite
Aug 21, 2003, 03:45 PM

Yes!

They're more expensive.

That's all.

Any decent hub will do.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Oct 12, 2003, 05:52 AM

Can you use a normal USB device on it?

Volanges
Forum Regular
Oct 13, 2003, 05:09 PM

You can not run a Digidesign Mbox through a normal USB hub; they are very specific about this in their specs.

The only "audio" USB hub on the market that I have seen is the one by Griffin -- it is supposed to boost the signal or something os that may work;; I emailed them asking if the Mbox would run off of their audio hub and the guy quickly replied, but could offer no real assurance as it had not been tested.

However, he kindly stated I was welcome to buy it and try it and if it didn't work I could return it for a refund.

Nice when you actually encounter good-intentioned customer service these days.

Forum Links
Forum Rules