Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Tech News > Rumor has next-gen iPad mini focusing on screen resolution

Rumor has next-gen iPad mini focusing on screen resolution
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Dec 14, 2012, 05:41 AM

Upgrades in the next-generation iPad mini will revolve mainly around increasing screen resolution, say backlighting industry sources quoted by Digitimes. The people haven't said whether or not this means advancing to a Retina display, but that may be highly likely given that every other iOS device is Retina-equipped. One of common complaints about the Mini is that the pixellation on the device can be distracting; the tablet also has a lower resolution than rivals like the Nexus 7.

The sources also claim that Apple is planning to change the backlighting on the next full-sized iPad. Current models use two LED light bars to ensure even lighting, but it's thought that Apple will figure out how to scale back to one -- as on earlier iPads -- to bring the weight of the tablet down. Although the fourth-generation iPad is considerably lighter than the first-gen model, people continue to complain that the tablet is too heavy to hold one-handed for any length of time.

Gazoobee
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2012, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by NewsPoster View Post
... One of common complaints about the Mini is that the pixellation on the device can be distracting. ...
I find this statement highly dubious.

If true it's certainly not coming from anyone who owns one. This is more like what all the gadget blogs and tech-heads are whining about, not what actual users have a problem with.

As a mini user, the slower processor and the lack of any decent system memory are the two main things I bump my head against on a daily basis. The lack of a Retina screen is not a problem at all, nor is it for anyone else I know who uses the mini.

ebeyer
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2012, 06:51 AM

As one who has made heavy use of the mini since it came out, and heavily used each of the previous iPads for work, I humbly submit that the screen resolution really is the one thing
that stands out for me. This may be because, for the most part, I'm using the same app all day (a windows RDP client). Processor speed and memory are basically non-issues for
me.

Grendelmon
Senior User
Dec 14, 2012, 06:55 AM

One of common complaints about the Mini is that the pixellation on the device can be distracting
Pixelation? It has the same resolution of the first and second generation iPads, but on a smaller screen so it's really 163 PPI. How could that cause "pixelation" distractions?

Jeez, is everyone sticking their noses up to non-"retina" displays now?

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2012, 07:00 AM

Yes, that is exactly what is happening.

People are comparing the iPad mini to the regular iPad, and the biggest (only) complaint is the pixelated screen.

I have an iPad 2, and I agree. It's annoying if you're used to an iPhone 4 screen.

Geoduck
Forum Regular
Dec 14, 2012, 07:27 AM

I've played with the Mini and yes I don't see the pixilation problem either.

Mostly I'm waiting till they update the processor to the A6.If an updated screen makes them do it then fine. The processor is what sets the lifespan of a system. I have an iPod touch with an A4 and I'm noticing it's running slower and more apps will crash out. I don't want to get a Mini with an A5 when the A6 is out now.
Though I did not know the place, I set out for the land of my dreams
When I arrived at the land of my dreams, I found I did not know the place

ShameerMulji
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 14, 2012, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Geoduck View Post
I've played with the Mini and yes I don't see the pixilation problem either.
Mostly I'm waiting till they update the processor to the A6.If an updated screen makes them do it then fine. The processor is what sets the lifespan of a system. I have an iPod touch with an A4 and I'm noticing it's running slower and more apps will crash out. I don't want to get a Mini with an A5 when the A6 is out now.
I agree. The iPad mini is great but it definitely needs the A6 for it to have any sense of longevity (2 to 3 years lifespan).

Ham Sandwich
Dec 14, 2012, 11:03 AM

I've played around with the iPad mini in person... strangely enough I was surprised to see that the display was modestly crisp even for not being >200 ppi.

Throw an A6 in there, call it an iPad mini S and we'll be set.

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 14, 2012, 11:44 AM

If the app looks ok on an iPad 2, it will look ok on the iPad mini.
I have both and it all depends on how the app looks on an iPad 2.

danangdoc
Dec 14, 2012, 02:46 PM

I'm an Apple fan from way back when I learned to program in Pascal on an Apple IIe. Went thru a few iPhones, iPods, and have an iPad 3rd gen, which I love. I would NOT buy, nor can I recommend the new iPad mini. I went to my local apple box store and felt the text was, in point of fact, fuzzy, pixelated, and not acceptable. Maybe some people have vision that is much less clear than mine, or maybe much better, but comparing the experience on my iPad to the current mini is no contest. Apple: you NEED to upgrade that screen!

msuper69
Professional Poster
Dec 15, 2012, 06:11 AM

I have all versions of the iPad and iPad mini.
You are full of it.
There's nothing wrong with how text looks on the iPad mini.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Dec 15, 2012, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post
I find this statement highly dubious.
If true it's certainly not coming from anyone who owns one. This is more like what all the gadget blogs and tech-heads are whining about, not what actual users have a problem with. .
I certainly notice it from time to time. Mostly just with small text where characters with vertical elements ( L, d, l, t, etc) will end up slightly blurred. It doesn't bother me terribly much, though.

subego
Clinically Insane
Dec 15, 2012, 07:17 AM

I'm not so much bothered by the lack of Retina as knowing I'm going to want a Retina when it comes out.

blahblahbber
Banned
Dec 15, 2012, 10:24 AM

Duh, the screen is what is to be expected to upgrade... it looks old, outdated, etc. when next to their family iDevices. Way to go crApple, keep that AAPL stock in a slide!

Forum Links
Forum Rules