Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > MacTheRipper chapter burn problems.

MacTheRipper chapter burn problems.
hab
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2004, 04:32 PM

Trying to rip copies of a couple of my original discs so the kids can take them with us on holiday and I will not have to worry about them (DVD copy) getting trashed. Full disc extraction mode works great and I get fully functioning copy of the DVD. However, every time I have tried to rip just a partial disc [Title - Chapter Extraction] I get an error message in DVD Player: "DVD Player encountered a system error, Could not detect a valid media file. [-70001]".

I have read the MTR Guide. I have done searches in the all the places I know and have not turned up any discussion of this save one in the Versiontracker database that was identical. However, it was not answered to my knowledge. I tried emailing the poster to see if he figured it out but his email address came up bad.

One of the kids favorites has the widescreen and fullscreen version on the same disc. Extracting both and burning in Popcorn would result in only a "medium" quality recording. When you choose main feature in popcorn you get the full screen version only. Our portable DVD player is widescreen so, I want to extract just the chapter set with the widescreen version that would come over in original quality.

Am I missing anything here?

Thanks for any ideas. Harry

G4 iMac 800mHz, OSX 10.3.6, DVD Player 4.0, MTR 2.0.2

Spoffo
Forum Regular
Dec 19, 2004, 07:04 PM

I've occasionally run into this with Mac the Ripper, tho not consistenty. (One note: You ARE going to the "mode" screen before you start ripping, right? If you leave it on the "disc" screen, you'll get all sorts of error messages like the one youmention.)

My most consistent solution is to always to a full-disc rip in MTR and then select titles, chapters or layers to extract and burn using DVD2oneX. It's a particularly simple one-click solution if you just want to burn the main title, which is most likely when you're making a backup for the kids to (ab)use. It always seems to work reliably for me, and the speed depends on how much compression it has to do. If it's just extracting a title, and doesn't have to compress it to fit on a 4.4gb disc, it only takes about 10 minutes on my G5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules