Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Flashing Question Mark

Flashing Question Mark
Mac-Guy
Sep 13, 2002, 09:16 AM

Ah, yes, the proverbial flashing question mark...

I installed a new HD in my PowerComputing clone (has a G3 card). The machine is 50-pin SCSI, but I installed an 80-pin drive using an adaptor. Now when I power up there is a 10-second or so delay and then I get the flashing question mark. It goes away after about 5 seconds and the machine boots normally from there. It's not fatal--just annoying.

What I've tried:
  • Selected drive as Startup Disk
  • Checked SCSI ID (0)
  • Reseated all connections, etc.

Any ideas?
Otis Day?? He loves us!

zac4mac
Mac Elite
Sep 14, 2002, 12:09 PM

Sounds similar to a problem I had with an IBM server drive I got for my old 8500/G3, Check to see if there's a jumper for "spin-up at startup" or something. Essentially, I think the drive isn't ready yet when the OS first starts looking to boot from it.

Mac-Guy  (op)
Sep 16, 2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by zac4mac:
Sounds similar to a problem I had with an IBM server drive I got for my old 8500/G3, Check to see if there's a jumper for "spin-up at startup" or something. Essentially, I think the drive isn't ready yet when the OS first starts looking to boot from it.
Here's another wrinkle: When the drive starts up it emits a loud siren-like sound. Ever hear anything like that? It's weird.

It's an IBM UltraStar 2XP 80pin SCSI drive.
Otis Day?? He loves us!

Zimmerman
Mac Elite
Sep 16, 2002, 05:46 PM

I have noticed this when I installed a slave drive with an OS9.1 on it and didn't have anything selected in the Startup Disk control panel. The hard disk clicked hard for 30secs or so with the flashing ? and then resumed booting. Kinda scary at first, but no ill effects so...

I would make sure you have the drive selected in the Startup Disk control panel.

I don't have much experience with third party SCSI controllers so I have no way of knowing if that has something to do with it.

UgL_u2o
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 17, 2002, 02:39 PM

My suggestion is to invest in a new mac. The eMacs are nice and not really expensive.

The Flatpanel iMacs ( like mine ) are nice too, but a little more heavy on the price tag.
UgL Coming soon to a Mac near you!

"Money does not come from Virtue, but
from Virtue comes money and all other
things good to man"
-Socrates-

Captain Obvious
Professional Poster
Sep 17, 2002, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by UgL_u2o:
My suggestion is to invest in a new mac. The eMacs are nice and not really expensive.

The Flatpanel iMacs ( like mine ) are nice too, but a little more heavy on the price tag.
Gee thanks for offering no real insight. Maybe he does have a new Mac, maybe he has several. The fact that his problem persists isn't solved by buying another computer.

Barack Obama: Four more years of the Carter Presidency

Forum Links
Forum Rules