Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > How to transfer to new iMac Core Duo?

How to transfer to new iMac Core Duo?
powerbook911
Jan 24, 2006, 07:26 PM

Hi Everyone,

I just placed my order for a 17-inch iMac Core Duo, from Amazon.com It should arrive tomorrow (Jan 25).

How should I go about transferring all my data to the new iMac? I would love to use Firewire during the setup process to just transfer everything over, but I've read this is not a good idea. Furthermore, there is the migration assistant once inside the OS, but I've read that is a bad idea too. Do you all think using those automatic tools are bad too?

What should I do? Should I just go into my library and hand-pick the preference files and whatnot that I need? What about the iPhoto library? Can I move my iPhoto folder over even though the new system will have iLife 06?

I appreciate your time. I'm looking forward to the new machine.
12" Powerbook G4 1.5 GHZ, 1.25GB RAM, 80g, Superdrive
17" iMac Core Duo 1.83 GHZ, 1.5GB RAM
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 24, 2006, 07:55 PM

You can use Firewire and the Migration Assistant to move everything (files and applications).
Someone posted here a while back with problems with his new Mac, and the consensus blamed it on using the migration assistant. See if you can find the thread to discover a better way of transfering files.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 24, 2006, 08:05 PM

I was originally going to start fresh with my iMac (17" Intel model just arrived a few hours ago, also from Amazon). But it's pretty daunting to get everything back the way I had it, so I decided to use the migration assistant. I had used it successfully in the past, and it worked pretty much the same as it did before. Actually, I haven't noticed any problems whatsoever. A few drivers that aren't compatible with the Intel systems don't work (obviously) but otherwise, it's great. It'll move your iTunes and iPhoto stuff over to the new iLife versions with no problem. I'd recommend it. I think you're more likely to have problems trying to hand-move all the preferences you might want to transfer.

powerbook911  (op)
Jan 24, 2006, 08:56 PM

So is Migration assistant better than the transfer that is offered during the initial setup process, when you turn on the machine, for the first time, or is it basically the same thing?

You're all very helpful! Thank you.

One more question, what could I use to keep my machines synced pretty well? Like my iTunes and Photo libraries? Maybe a .mac backup to external hard drive of those type of preferences, and then every week or so do a restore onto my Powerbook, so it can get the latest changes (since the iMac will be my main machine now)?
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jan 24, 2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by powerbook911
So is Migration assistant better than the transfer that is offered during the initial setup process, when you turn on the machine, for the first time, or is it basically the same thing?
It's the same thing.

One more question, what could I use to keep my machines synced pretty well? Like my iTunes and Photo libraries? Maybe a .mac backup to external hard drive of those type of preferences, and then every week or so do a restore onto my Powerbook, so it can get the latest changes (since the iMac will be my main machine now)?
I'm not sure what the best option is for syncing things like your iPhoto library, but I'm pretty sure using Backup the way you describe would not be a good idea.

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2006, 05:50 AM

i've always found Chronosync to be a very good synch utility, but I wouldn't contemplate synching my iPhotos or iTunes libraries. Hmmm. Can I suggest you get an iPod ?

powerbook911  (op)
Jan 25, 2006, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Gee4orce
i've always found Chronosync to be a very good synch utility, but I wouldn't contemplate synching my iPhotos or iTunes libraries. Hmmm. Can I suggest you get an iPod ?
I have a 60 gig video iPod already.

What do you suggest I do with it? Just copy the entire iPhoto Library folder? That would work I guess?
20" Cinema Display
60g iPod w/Video
iPod Shuffle (512 MB)

Gee4orce
Professional Poster
Jan 25, 2006, 12:19 PM

Well, you were asking about synching your iPhoto and iTunes between two computers. Why di you want to do that ? Either view/listen to you photos and music on your iPod, or, if you want to access that data on another computer, turn on "bonjour" sharing in itunes and iPhoto, and access the libraries remotely.

That's how I do it. I dont try to copy all my music and photos to my laptop - I just know it I need access to particular item I can get to it over the network.

goofticket
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 27, 2006, 07:39 AM

When I got my Intel iMac I just pluged it into my ethernet hub, and made sure my G3 10.1.5) and 9600 (9.1) had file sharing on.
On the Intel, turn file sharing on and made sure the network preference panel also had file sharing on.
At "home"(opening the Intel's hard drive); click on network>servers and saw my other hard drives on both comptuers. Clciking on those older drives mounted them on the Intel's desktop where I could just drag and drop files & folders.
Selective, but a bit slow. My older drives are 3 SCSI and 1 ATA.
But it worked and i could easily browse the old file hierachy to transfer what I wanted.

4doorhoor
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 14, 2007, 02:25 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^ Is this an okay method of transfering data? ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Forum Links
Forum Rules