Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Arthur C. Clarke RIP

Arthur C. Clarke RIP
osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 06:25 PM

Arthur C. Clarke has passed away at age 90.

Author Arthur C. Clarke dies - CNN.com

from Engadget http://www.engadget.com/2008/03/18/a...in-technology/

"Today is a very sad day in our little world. It's been reported that Arthur C. Clarke, among the most influential visionaries in technology and a personal hero of many at Engadget, has died at the age of 90. Along with his many written works (like the infamous and immeasurably influential 2001: A Space Odyssey), Clarke was possibly best known for conceptualizing the geostationary communications satellite -- clearly one of the most important technological innovations in history."
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2008, 06:27 PM

Oh crap. Now we'll never find out how he knew what Titan looked like before any probes got close enough to photograph it...

It's a sad day.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 06:30 PM

I just saw this and my stomach dropped. Holy crap, he was awesome.
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

Pendergast
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 06:31 PM

It is quite sad. Although I felt his latest books were not as strong, "2001, A Space Odyssey" remains a landmark in litterature...

So looong Arthur! A man of peace and vision!
"Criticism is a misconception: we must read not to understand others but to understand ourselves.”

Emile M. Cioran

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 18, 2008, 06:44 PM

Didn't he have a reputation for being a bit fond of young boys?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 18, 2008, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
Oh crap. Now we'll never find out how he knew what Titan looked like before any probes got close enough to photograph it...
Iapetus.

Rest in peace, Mr. Clarke.

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 18, 2008, 07:05 PM

RIP Arthur C. Clarke!

I think I'll start reading Rendezvous with Rama for a third time.

Atomic Rooster
Mar 18, 2008, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
Arthur C. Clarke has passed away at age 90.

"Today is a very sad day in our little world."
WTF! Why is it sad? The freaking guy was in his nineties. He prolly couldn't wait.

Now he's in Heaven with Jesus Christ...well unless he was gay.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 18, 2008, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Iapetus.

Rest in peace, Mr. Clarke.
I thought he described Titan in "Imperial Earth"... But I don't have it handy so I can't go look it up.

finboy
Mar 18, 2008, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
Didn't he have a reputation for being a bit fond of young boys?
Never heard that. You might be thinking of John Maynard Keynes.

Sherman Homan
Mac Elite
Mar 18, 2008, 10:40 PM

He made the world a better place.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 12:45 AM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
No, no, Clark....
The mysterious Sri Lankan world of Arthur C. Clarke | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET.com

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by finboy View Post
No, no, Clarke....
The mysterious Sri Lankan world of Arthur C. Clarke | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET.com

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 12:57 AM

one post of the same content is fine peeb

iM@k
Senior User
Mar 19, 2008, 01:14 AM

Paraphrasing the intro of his TV show:

"He has explored this, and now will do so in other worlds"

RIP Sir.
What, me worry?

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 04:29 AM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
I thought he described Titan in "Imperial Earth"... But I don't have it handy so I can't go look it up.
Apologies - I thought you were talking about the white oval with the little black dot (monolith) on Iapetus in 2001. At that time, all they had was brightness measurements on a little dot of light. It was a couple of years before a fly-by showed that the cause of Iapetus' varying brightness was a large white oval with a little black dot in the middle...

red rocket
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 05:13 AM

Classy move, repeating a slanderous allegation by one of the worst rags in Britain, The Sunday Mirror, one that was found to be baseless by the Sri Lankan police and which the ****ers were consequently forced to retract. Thank you very much for not doing your research and trying to smear the memory of a dead person who has done nothing but contribute greatly to the world of science fiction.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
Classy move, repeating a slanderous allegation by one of the worst rags in Britain, The Sunday Mirror, one that was found to be baseless by the Sri Lankan police and which the ****ers were consequently forced to retract. Thank you very much for not doing your research and trying to smear the memory of a dead person who has done nothing but contribute greatly to the world of science AND fiction.
Fixed.

Rumor
Mar 19, 2008, 05:30 AM

Never heard of him.
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

red rocket
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 05:32 AM

lurkalot
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 19, 2008, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Now he's in Heaven with Jesus Christ...well unless he was gay.
Or ... unless there is no heaven.

...and even if there are such things as heaven or gods, who would worship a god who doesn't allow a man like this a place at his side merely because he was gay? Who would want to stay in such a place with such a creature for eternity if men like Arthur C. Clarke are denied admittance anyway?

"Religion is a byproduct of fear, For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary?" Arthur C. Clarke 1917 - 2008.

An important voice silenced. For now.

"The idea was that maybe in a hundred million years or so, an advanced civilization would find this little space capsule containing my hair, an Arthur C. Clarke would be cloned from it, and I would thus pop up in another galaxy in the distant future. Interesting thought."

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 19, 2008, 09:01 AM

Apologies - I thought you were talking about the white oval with the little black dot (monolith) on Iapetus in 2001. At that time, all they had was brightness measurements on a little dot of light. It was a couple of years before a fly-by showed that the cause of Iapetus' varying brightness was a large white oval with a little black dot in the middle...
I'd forgotten about that one. But every time I put cream in my coffee, I think about Clarke and Titan...

And let's not forget that Mr. Clarke is recognized as "the father of the communications satellite" among other things. He was up there with Azimov and very few others who were actual scientists AND visionaries.

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 09:06 AM

Didn't he have a show at some point? I seem to remember something with an opening of a crystal skull on a black background that used to creep the hell out of me when I was a kid.

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 19, 2008, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Dakar the Fourth View Post
Didn't he have a show at some point? I seem to remember something with an opening of a crystal skull on a black background that used to creep the hell out of me when I was a kid.
Yep. He introduced and narrated a show that looked at "mysterious" stuff. In the US that show was called "Arthur C. Clarke's World of Strange Powers." I'm not sure how much it had in common with the UK show "Arthur C. Clarke's Mysterious World."

Dakar the Fourth
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 09:37 AM

I seem to remember a lot of UFO stuff being mentioned.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Mar 19, 2008, 09:46 AM

I had no idea he was still alive.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Zeeb
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 03:00 PM

I'm sad he is gone but I often wondered why he went to live in Sri Lanka? What was it that attracted him to that country? Very odd choice.

Nevertheless, RIP.

Atomic Rooster
Mar 19, 2008, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by lurkalot View Post
Or ... unless there is no heaven.

...and even if there are such things as heaven or gods, who would worship a god who doesn't allow a man like this a place at his side merely because he was gay? Who would want to stay in such a place with such a creature for eternity if men like Arthur C. Clarke are denied admittance anyway?
Sorry lurk, maybe it didn't come across that I was being sarcastic.

I'm not a superstitious person.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post
I'm sad he is gone but I often wondered why he went to live in Sri Lanka? What was it that attracted him to that country? Very odd choice.
Commonwealth.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Zeeb View Post

Nevertheless, RIP.
Why do you think it's odd? In many ways it's idyllic.

Andrew Stephens
Mac Elite
Mar 19, 2008, 04:30 PM

Commonwealth.
1) He was a keen scuba diver and the diving there is excellent

2) He had friends there.

If I hear ONE more uninformed news moron describing him as the inventor of the satellite I'm going to scream!!

analogika
Posting Junkie
Mar 19, 2008, 05:06 PM

The concept of a geostationary orbit is admittedly not suited for a ten-second news-blurb obit.

glideslope
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 19, 2008, 07:08 PM

My God. It's full of stars.

RIP
To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.”
Sun Tzu

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 19, 2008, 07:35 PM

"1) If you've never seen a U.F.O. you are very unobservant. 2) If you've seen as many as I have you won't believe in them. 3) They have nothing to do with visitors from space. 4) It is impossible to prove #3."

Happy trails.

lurkalot
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2008, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Atomic Rooster View Post
Sorry lurk, maybe it didn't come across that I was being sarcastic.

I'm not a superstitious person.
My mistake. I didn't detect the sarcasm.

==========
I hope "they" respect his instructions:
"Absolutely no religious rites of any kind, relating to any religious faith, should be associated with my funeral"
( Last edited by lurkalot; Mar 20, 2008 at 05:13 AM. )

ghporter
Administrator
Mar 20, 2008, 08:45 AM

In reading the rather large obit printed in yesterday's paper, I learned that Clarke suffered from post-polio syndrome. This is a malady that affects people who had polio as children. Basically, the symptoms look like a "relapse" of polio, but in fact they are considered to be the wearing out of nerve fibers that grew during the person's recovery from the original polio infection. Sufferers experience severe weakness and fatigue and often swimming is an excellent way to deal with both these symptoms and the need to keep the muscles that work in good shape. Clarke is noted as having suffered from this since the 1960s-when he moved to what was then called Ceylon and took up scuba. I have to believe that he moved there for the year-round ability to dive and thus maintain his health, along with the ability to dive in itself.

osiris  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2008, 12:45 PM

Joy of Tech made a tribute:
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2008, 04:30 PM

Bit of a rip-off of the Penny Arcade Gygax tribute, I think...

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2008, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by red rocket View Post
and which the ****ers were consequently forced to retract.

Sorry to ask, but does anyone have a link to this? I've been asked a few times now.

I can find the fact cited a bajillion times, but have yet to find anything close to a primary source.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2008, 07:42 PM

Sunday Mirror:

Arthur C Clarke Confessed to being a Paedophile.

'Paedophile' Arthur C Clarke sparks protests in Lanka
Child right activists in Sri Lanka have expressed shock over science fiction writer Arthur C Clarke's confession in a newspaper interview of a life of paedophilia and called for his deportation just around the time Prince Charles was to knight him.

Clarke, 80, widely regarded as a visionary and author of the celebrated 2001: A Space Odyssey and some 80 other books, was quoted as saying in the interview published in London's Sunday Mirror that having sex with children was all right.

''Once they have reached the age of puberty, it is OK... It doesn't do any harm,'' said Clarke, who has lived in Sri Lanka for 40 years.

"I am trying to think of the youngest boy I have ever had because, of course, you can't tell it here. I think most of the damage comes from the fuss made by hysterical parents afterwards. If the kids don't mind, fair enough,'' he was reported to have said in the interview which was conducted at his house.

''I am amazed why the law has not been enforced as far as Clarke was concerned,'' says Maureen Seneviratne, co-ordinator for a non-governmental organisation called Peace -- Protection of Environment and Children Everywhere.

''Why do we have strong laws in Sri Lanka?'' she asked, noting that such a law had been in place since October 1995 when parliament passed a bill without division on prevention of abuse of children below the age of 16.

She said that a bill replaced a 1983 law, under which abuse of children below the age of 12 was an offence, though the child was equally guilty as the perpetrator. Under the new law, child abuse carries a minimum sentence of seven years imprisonment and a maximum of 20 years. The laws were put in place following a public outcry over paedophilia and child prostitution in Sri Lanka.

Referring to Clarke justifying sex with children who had attained puberty, Seneviratne said even homosexuality was a crime under the country's penal code.

She noted that a German was undergoing prison sentence in the island after being convicted of paedophilia and said, ''It is strange that while some people are sentenced, others are going scot-free.''

She said she intended to take up Clarke's revelations with the presidential task force for the protection of children and inform all concerned, including the police.

She said her group had indeed heard rumours about Clarke's activities, but being a small NGO, her organisation could not take it up as that would be like ''tilting at giants who have written books and been made chancellors of universities.''

''It would have been like signing our own death warrant,'' she said in a reference to the official patronage enjoyed by Clarke, the first foreign celebrity to be given tax-free status on the island. The writer has also been made chancellor of the Meratuwa University in Sri Lanka.

Clarke is to be presented with a knighthood by Prince Charles, who will be the chief guest at Sri Lanka's 50th anniversary of independence on February 4.

Dr Nalin de Silva, a former Colombo university lecturer and an activist of an ultra-Sinhala Buddhist organisation, said he would launch a strong agitation, demanding Clarke's immediate deportation from the country.

''This is child abuse. It is a shame to have him as chancellor of a university. Now it seems Arthur C Clarke not only pioneered the concept of geo-stationary satellites, but also abuse of children. He has not brought recognition to Sri Lanka; he only projected the country to the foreigners as a paradise for paedophiles,'' Dr de Silva said.

subego
Clinically Insane
Mar 20, 2008, 08:12 PM

Sunday Mirror:

I asked for a link to the RETRACTION.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2008, 08:53 PM

Ah, sorry - I misinterpreted your request. I wonder whether the accusation from Maureen Seneviratne was retracted, or whether it was maintained, and simply could not be proven?
As far as I can tell the Mirror retracted the claim by 3 boys who claimed they'd had underage relationships with him. They did not retract comments attributed to Clarke in an interview ("Once they have reached the age of puberty, it is OK... It doesn't do any harm... I am trying to think of the youngest boy I have ever had because, of course, you can't tell it here (the UK). I think most of the damage comes from the fuss made by hysterical parents afterwards. If the kids don't mind, fair enough."), nor did Clarke take action against the paper for printing them.
( Last edited by peeb; Mar 20, 2008 at 09:00 PM. )

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2008, 09:59 PM

You waited till he was dead to announce he was a kiddy fiddler?

brassplayersrock²
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2008, 10:00 PM

yeah i know right. real low of peeb to do that, really low

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2008, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by moonmonkey View Post
You waited till he was dead to announce he was a kiddy fiddler?
Not at all, not only did I not 'announce' this, but it was over a decade ago, when he was alive.

moonmonkey
Professional Poster
Mar 20, 2008, 10:22 PM

judging by your previous posts, it didn't seem to upset you when he was alive.
( Last edited by moonmonkey; Mar 20, 2008 at 10:29 PM. )

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 20, 2008, 10:24 PM

What do you mean, "bother me"? This thread is about Clarke, which reminded me of it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules