Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > Team MacNN > Forum Sigs

Forum Sigs
reader50
Administrator
May 19, 2002, 01:09 PM

There is an upcoming UBB upgrade, as described in posts in Suggestions / Comments. We will be getting many new features, including Avatars (standard images that appear under your Name / Registration Date / Post Count in the left sidebar).

It was recently posted that Sig images may be done away with in favor of Avatars only, which the Forum code limits to 50 x 50 pixels. As a test, I whipped up a sample for a Team Avatar.

What does everyone think?

Edit: 1500, must get a life.

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: reader50 ]

sideus
Mac Elite
May 19, 2002, 01:17 PM

I do prefer avatars over sig images. Sig images seem to distract from the body of message/forum.

SkiBikeSki
Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2002, 01:19 PM

Personally I've never really liked avatars. I've seen them in other forums all they all look sorta cartoonish and childish. Although it's great that you made a team avatar already, it just doesn't look as good as the team sigs do.

Although maybe us Mac users will make some more creative avatars than other forums.
-- SBS --

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 19, 2002, 05:46 PM

I know this really isn't the right forum, but could anyone possibly help me out by telling me where I should put an image on my iTools/iDisk account in order to link to it as a sig? It has been bugging me for ages!

Cheers,

Marc

The_Equivocator
Mac Enthusiast
May 19, 2002, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by Marc2211:
<STRONG>I know this really isn't the right forum, but could anyone possibly help me out by telling me where I should put an image on my iTools/iDisk account in order to link to it as a sig? It has been bugging me for ages!

Cheers,

Marc</STRONG>
Just put it in the Pictures folder. You can then link to it like below:
http://homepage.mac.com/MemberName/....es/PictureName

Crunch Something

The Placid Casual
Professional Poster
May 19, 2002, 06:53 PM

Thanks very much!

I wasn't too far off, I was missing out the '.' before the 'Pictures' part of the address...so was just getting the iTools page not found message...

I just searched for the info in the archives and got 879 results...and didn't fancy spending the next hour trawling through them!! Your help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Marc

SteevAK
Mac Enthusiast
May 20, 2002, 05:06 AM

Reader: I like the design. I'm imaging that you would have different ones for each competition though, yes? DF, RC5, SETI, Ubero, etc?
#macnn: where all the real action is at.

Bockie
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 10:42 AM

Originally posted by reader50:
<STRONG>There is an upcoming UBB upgrade, as described in posts in Suggestions / Comments. We will be getting many new features, including Avatars (standard images that appear under your Name / Registration Date / Post Count in the left sidebar).

It was recently posted that Sig images may be done away with in favor of Avatars only, which the Forum code limits to 50 x 50 pixels. As a test, I whipped up a sample for a Team Avatar.

What does everyone think?

Edit: 1500, must get a life.

[ 05-19-2002: Message edited by: reader50 ]</STRONG>
Booooooo! No avatars! Boooooooo!
09.11.01 - UNITED WE STAND

reader50  (op)
Administrator
May 20, 2002, 11:43 AM

It looks like we will not have Avatars after all.

Our Team Sigs are saved!

If anyone is interested, the Sig vs Avatar poll thread is here.

ps - our logo came out so small, it was barely readable unless you already knew what it was. I was rooting for sigs too.

[ 05-20-2002: Message edited by: reader50 ]

cdhostage
Mac Elite
May 20, 2002, 03:22 PM

The poll in MacNN Lounge was quite clear -= everyone wanted sigs. They asked "avators or sigs?" and only one person said avatars.
Actual conversation between UCLA and Stanford during a login on early Internet - U: I'm going to type an L! Did you get an L? S: I got one-one-four. L! U:Did you get the O? S: One-one-seven. U: <types G> S: The computer just crashed.

vsurfer
Senior User
Jun 10, 2002, 08:13 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by SkiBikeSki:
<strong>Personally I've never really liked avatars. I've seen them in other forums all they all look sorta cartoonish and childish.
</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">I'm with SkiBikeSki on this. Macs are a great vehicle for creative and other forms of expression, would not like to see such draconian limitations. Let the PC users go that route, but not us, please.

Forum Links
Forum Rules