Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Mac in Windows network

Mac in Windows network
cemo
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 5, 2003, 07:55 AM

So im new with macs (3days so far ) and yes, i got it somehow working on network so i got my music and pictures to my sweet iBook, but now when i tried again..network doesnt show anything else than this "Server" or something, and im using adsl modem with switch, so i have my comps connected to switch to gain acces to internet..
Oh yes internet connection is fine but still i dont get it how i get in windows network so i can see other computers

So people whats the trick?

Oh yes i am pleased to my little sweetie on other cases
iBook 933 14" 640mb 40gb wlan bluetooth

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Dec 5, 2003, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by cemo:
So im new with macs (3days so far ) and yes, i got it somehow working on network so i got my music and pictures to my sweet iBook, but now when i tried again..network doesnt show anything else than this "Server" or something, and im using adsl modem with switch, so i have my comps connected to switch to gain acces to internet..
Oh yes internet connection is fine but still i dont get it how i get in windows network so i can see other computers

So people whats the trick?

Oh yes i am pleased to my little sweetie on other cases
Have checked and made sure personal file sharing and windows sharing is turned on in Share in the Systems Preferences?

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
Dec 5, 2003, 05:26 PM

I also find that sometimes it take a min. for the other computers to show up.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

CeRtiFiedSkitZo
Dec 5, 2003, 05:55 PM

Originally posted by dracoleb:
I also find that sometimes it take a min. for the other computers to show up.
Yeah, I've noticed that also.

ccsccs7
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 5, 2003, 09:45 PM

If you know the IP address of the Windows computers you are trying to access, you can use the Connect menu item in the Finder's Go menu. From there, you can just enter the IP address. It might be a good idea to add it to your favorites if the addresses will be static.
12" Powerbook 1.5GHz/SuperDrive, 1.25GB Ram, 80GB HD, Airport Extreme, Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger
iBook (Late 2001)600MHz/Combo, 640MB RAM, 20GB HD, Airport, Mac OS X 10.3.9 Panther — web server

Lebensm�de
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 7, 2003, 08:38 AM

I've often had the problem with my iBook that its sleep mode will screw up my Network settings and I can't access certain servers without first resorting to a restart...

Forum Links
Forum Rules