Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 12" Powerbook owners UNITE!

12" Powerbook owners UNITE! (Page 2)
Destonius
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 10:37 AM

My Rev.A is giving me hell, but I love it to death!!

I had to have the logic board replaced twice and it's been in & out of the repairs for past 6 weeks, so I haven't even had the chance to use my iPod, but I still love it very much.

I'm now vagabonding in Australia and will be traveling around the world with it for next 2 years (just to escape from Hell=Japan) along with my saxophone. Other backpackers think that I'm crazy, but I got to have it. Period. I need it for iTunes, iPhoto, iCal and other applications, but I just like having my own Apple laptop with me.

...explosante fixe...

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2004, 02:22 PM

Originally posted by powermacj7:
The IBM Thinkpads have that Port Replicator. Does a company make a similar product for the PBs?
powermacj7: Have a look at the BookEndz PowerBook Docks. I'm probably going to order one in a few weeks after I get my Rev.C 12-inch PowerBook.

Escher
"The only laptop computer that's useful is the one you have with you."
Until we get a 3 lbs sub-PowerBook, the 12-inch PowerBook will do.

powermacj7
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2004, 02:27 PM

I just got rid of my Desktop. Have sounds Sticks, printer, and external HD. That would make it a nice. Thanxs !!!

Frumpy
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2004, 07:20 PM

Riiiight. While that dock looks awesome, and I was all ready to buy one...for $180...i'll buy something much more useful. Damn that's expensive!
Specs:12" PowerBook-1.33GHz, 768 PC2700, Airport Express, Panther (10.3.9), iSight, 15GB 3G iPod

Cadaver
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2004, 08:26 PM

I'm perfectly happy with my rev. C combo-drive 12"'er. Its the perfect portable extension for my desktop G5. Light, small, and easy to carry around. I used to have a 1GHz 15" TiBook, and the 12" PB is sooo much easier to transport.

sillydog701
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 08:43 AM

PowerBook 12" 1.33 (Rev C) owner.
(1.25GB RAM)

bbales
Mac Elite
Jun 29, 2004, 09:13 AM

A good 16 months after getting mine, I still LOVE my Rev A 12-inch PB (all the RAM, plus the 60 GB superdrive). I do see those nice 15-inchers (which didn't exist when I got this) and the extra screen space would be nice, I concede. But this gets used as an extension of my basement home office, allowing me to do a lot of things upstairs, where my 3 kids are. It is a fabulous machine. And with wireless, and wireless printing, I can do just about everything.

pharmelink
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 11:20 AM

I sold my Quicksilver G4 desktop, and bought the Rev C 12 inch PB (added 512MB more RAM & 60GB HD), and I kept my 17 Apple LCD Display, and went mobile.

Love it.
Thanks

Paul

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 11:28 AM

getting my 12" revC today (i hope...)
sold my pismo!

will add an ext. monitor this summer, but looking forward to carrying this baby everywhere...
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.
And that is what you all are: inverted Nothings...with potential" (Sun Ra)

board920
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 29, 2004, 11:28 AM

Just bought my 12" rev c last saturday after being an avid pc user/gamer for years (figured its time to give that up), and I could not be happier. Hope it serves me well in college next year. I was debating between the 15" and 12" for a few weeks, but I ultimately decided that the screen size would suffice (which it does), and if i need to, i can always just buy an external monitor (not from apple, way too expensive, spent too much money on this thing already). This forum was great in making my decision, and I am happy that i finally built up the courage to switch. It is sexy, powerfull (for what i need it for), and very portable. Now that i have my battery issue squared away, i have no complaints.

DeathToWindows
Professional Poster
Jun 29, 2004, 12:55 PM

12" 1.33/60GB/768MB - aluBook

In my lap right now.

Don't try to outweird me, I get stranger things than you free with my breakfast cereal.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2004, 12:56 PM

Originally posted by Destonius:
My Rev.A is giving me hell, but I love it to death!!

I had to have the logic board replaced twice and it's been in & out of the repairs for past 6 weeks, so I haven't even had the chance to use my iPod, but I still love it very much.

I'm now vagabonding in Australia and will be traveling around the world with it for next 2 years (just to escape from Hell=Japan) along with my saxophone. Other backpackers think that I'm crazy, but I got to have it. Period. I need it for iTunes, iPhoto, iCal and other applications, but I just like having my own Apple laptop with me.
Cool. Are going to be running website or blog of your travels with your PB? You should!
tin pot, garden shed

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 29, 2004, 02:45 PM

After 18 months of 12-inch PowerBook envy, I finally ordered myself a Rev.C 12-inch PowerBook G4 with Combo drive and BTO 80GB/5400rpm HDD to replace my 3 year old iBook G3/500. I also ordered AppleCare and the Bluetooth keyboard and mouse, all before my educational discount runs out tomorrow (I graduated in May).

I'll be using the 12-inch PowerBook as a desktop replacement, along with an external 1280x1024 17" LCD panel.

Escher

Phil Quinney
Jun 30, 2004, 01:03 PM

Hey All,

Its great to see such a following for what I now realise is an excellent laptop. I bought mine yesterday (Stock combo drive model, Rev C) and absolutely love it. Apart from one stuck yellow pixel its absolutely perfect.

Moving from an iBook SE really shows you how far these machines have come. Its so small and light!

I hope everyone else is enjoying theirs as much as me - which it seems people are.

Phil.

Mel Dada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 30, 2004, 05:48 PM

oh man this thing is great. 12inch 80gig rev C powerbook. i'm writing this listening to a radio station from AMSTERDAM!! I'll switch over to IRELAND shortly. I get radio from all over the world wirelessly and the amount of radio stations is seemingly endless!! i went out yesterday and became part of the computer generation went to a coffee house and did some work editing a film! i kid you not Making money on the go. final cut pro is the most. not all that long ago i was in a darkened editing room with a (are you ready?) a MOVIEOLA. does anyone even know what a movieola is anyway?

peace
mel

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jun 30, 2004, 10:22 PM

i got my 12" pb today; have spent the last 8 hours reinstalling software, copying over files from my pismo...
am hotsyncing my palm as i write!

the pismo is great, but looks overweight and bulky next to the 12".

the only things:
left side of the palmrest gets much hotter than my pismo (and i rest my hand there a lot: left-handed)

and have to get used to cables being seen (no longer in the back)...
a good excuse for airport express, and a bluetooth mouse!

overall, though, am really happy with the 12".
"At first, there was Nothing. Then Nothing inverted itself and became Something.

Destonius
Forum Regular
Jul 1, 2004, 03:47 AM

Originally posted by OB1:
Cool. Are going to be running website or blog of your travels with your PB? You should!
Hmm... That's an interesting idea. Maybe I will look into that.

...explosante fixe...

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 1, 2004, 08:20 AM

just some other thoughts:

pismo gets better airport reception (four bars where the 12" has 2)

heat is gonna take some getting used to...

speed! battery life! weight, size, brightness...

happy with my choice
(but sad i have to give the pismo to it's new owner this weekend)

fun to have them both!

madmacgames
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
pismo gets better airport reception (four bars where the 12" has 2)
You only get 2 bars on your 12" PB? Have you done all the airport updates on the 12"?

I get 4 bars on my 12", but then again I am using a linksys router, which gives far better reception & range than the airport basestation (no offense to Apple, but they really need to do something about their basestations).

Ann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 12:27 PM

I've had my Powerbook 12" for about a month and I totally love it! It's my first venture into the Mac world after being a long time PC user and it's been nothing but great. I definitely think it's the ultimate portable laptop. I also have a gateway laptop, and its big, loud, and gets very hot. I like the sleek, compact design of the 12" PB; it always impresses people. And for those who have been wondering, I don't think the small screen is difficult to read at all. I can stare at it for hours on end. My only complaint with the PB is that it gets very warm, and becomes uncomfortable to have on your lap for extended periods of time.
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33GHz
768MB/60GB/Superdrive

NittanyToto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 1, 2004, 01:11 PM

I just ordered my Powerbook 12" yesterday. It should be here sometime next week. This is my first apple so I am really excited. I got it mainly to use when I start law school in the fall so I thought the 12" would be the perfect size to carry around all day.

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 1, 2004, 04:27 PM

After 3+ years with my iBook G3/500 and 18+ months of 12-inch PowerBook envy, I ordered a 12-inch PowerBook G4/1.33Ghz (Combo, BTO 5400rpm 80GB) on Monday. I am overjoyed to say that it shipped out today. Yippeeeee!

The new tool will be in my eager little hands on Tuesday, July 6 (the first business day after the 4th of July holiday). An external 17" LCD with DVI, Apple Bluetooth Keyboard and Mouse, and AppleCare package are already here and waiting for the 12-inch PowerBook's arrival.

Next on the menu will be a 1GB RAM stick. Then I'm planning to build a Duo-style Dock for my new 12-inch baby. I cannot wait...

Escher

mudzilla
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 2, 2004, 09:11 AM

got my rev B 1Ghz 12" refurb this morning.

supoib. it's an absolue beauty... a sad farewell for my robust and dedicated 600Mhz G3 iBook that has served well for 2 .5 yrs

mud
understand your lives are rubbish

Orland
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 01:28 PM

I'd like to thank everyone who posted their positive experiences with the 12" PowerBook. I had convinced myself that I needed a 15" PowerBook to replace my aging 12" iBook.

The thing I liked the best about my iBook was its portability. I take it to school and home every day. While I was looking forward to the bigger screen and the back-lit keyboard, I wasn't looking forward to lugging it on my back every day.

I read this thread over the weekend, and decided to go with the 12" PowerBook instead. With an external monitor both at home and at school, I will have more than enough screen real estate.

Now the big memory decision: add 512MB or 1GB...

Thanks again for all the posts.

-O
----
12" PowerBook G4 1.33GHz 768MB (rev c)

"Computer science is no more about computers than astronomy is about telescopes"
--E. W. Dijkstra

sniffer
Professional Poster
Jul 5, 2004, 05:57 PM

I got my first "Power" machine (12") for a couple of days ago, and I couldn't be happier. The built quality seems really solid. I can't find anything to point my finger on on this machine, except the LCD quality which is "only average". But that doesn't bother me. This is a super value machine in every aspects regardless. I don't think I could find any better replacement for my shabby iBook 600 than this beautiful piece of art.

Sniffer gone old-school sig

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Jul 5, 2004, 08:02 PM

Originally posted by Orland:
Now the big memory decision: add 512MB or 1GB...
If you'll be doing any A/V stuff on it, get a gig at - somewhere else than Apple.

-s*

rytc
Senior User
Jul 5, 2004, 08:50 PM

Just picked up my 12" PowerBook with superdrive and additional 512MB of RAM from the AppleStore today. It's next to me charging as we speak. It's a replacement for my Key Lime Clamshell that was stolen, all on insurance, so in some ways it's completely free : )
It's my first powerbook!

Cheers Ry

Sarc
Mac Elite
Jul 5, 2004, 10:07 PM

12" Rev. B here !
save for the 40gig drive, I just love it, I think a Rev C (or D) will be my next Mac.
:: frankenstein / lcd-less TiBook / 1GHz / radeon 9000 64MB / 1GB RAM / w/ext. 250GB fw drive / noname usb bluetooth dongle / d-link usb 2.0 pcmcia card / X.5.8
:: unibody macbook pro / 2.4 Ghz C2D / 6GB RAM / dell 2407wfp - X.6.3

PCgeek
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 10:59 PM

Just ordered my 12" PB hehe!!

daxdagr8t
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 5, 2004, 11:38 PM

im one of u guys now!i just bought my first mac, a pb 12 in and i love this dang thing, its gorgeous!

Rain
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2004, 06:25 AM

Another 12" PB (1 gig - rev b?) owner reporting in

Tenacious Dyl
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 6, 2004, 10:02 AM

i gots one and loves it. (but its for sale, hint hint, any buyers? Email me)
yep.

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 11:29 AM

I'm glad there are sooo many responses, jeez louise!!! I'm also glad that I'm not the only one with a Rev B 12".
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

blackstar
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 6, 2004, 04:47 PM

my rev. a pb is perfect, after one year, I still have only 256MB ram in it, but i'm upgrading it now, run 10.2.8 on it, I think though that 10.2.6 was more stable, I won't upgrade to panther, but wait for Tigger, all in all perfect companion to my 40GB ipod...hehe

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 6, 2004, 11:02 PM

The Eagle Has Landed!

My brand new Rev.C 12-inch PowerBook G4/1.33Ghz/Combo with 5400rpm 80GB BTO drive arrived this afternoon, Tuesday, July 6, 2004.

First impressions: The screen is much brighter than the one on my 3 year-old 12" iBook G3/500. (Phew!) It does have the dreaded uneven bottom, i.e. it tips back and forth when I type because the 4 feet are not in the same plane. (I'll try to twist it in a few days.)

How do I turn off the fan? In other words, this machine is super-speedy, but it gets warmer (still not burning hot, though) than my iBook and the fan comes on. I hate the fan noise.

I'm glad I got the 80GB 5400rpm BTO drive. It's a Toshiba MK8026GAX. It's large and fast(er). Unfortunately, it's also a good bit noisier than the 4200rpm 10GB drive in my 3 year-old iBook.

The keyboard feels great. But it's much noisier than the softer iBook keyboard.

Right now, I'm chugging along on the built-in 256MB of RAM. But now that we can get 1GB sticks for less than $250 (Kingmax brand from NewEgg), there's no reason to limit myself to a 512MB upgrade.

In conclusion, my only real gripe is that the combination of (relatively) noisy HDD and often noisy fan, plus the noisy keyboard, mean that this is no longer a silent laptop like my iBook was. Otherwise, I love it! The Rev.C 12-inch PowerBook is the perfect notebook. It's small and light, and I got the 1+GB RAM, 1+Ghz clock, faster bus, and DVI-out I was longing for. No regrets whatsoever!

Escher

fisherKing
Professional Poster
Jul 6, 2004, 11:24 PM

escher...
like you i remember the days of the 2400c, one of the best powerbooks ever.
my new 12" (last week!) is as good as it gets, although the heat is a bit disconcerting (and my pismo has better airport reception).

i imagine the fan goes hand-in-hand with the faster drive...i have yet to hear my fan turn on.

still, these are great powerbooks; keyboard feels good, great ergonomics, decent screen (better than my pismo).

until that genuine subnotebook....enjoy it!

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2004, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by fisherKing:
like you i remember the days of the 2400c, one of the best powerbooks ever.
Got that right, fisherKing! But I agree with you that the 0.2 lbs of extra weight in the 12-inch PowerBook (versus the 2400c's 4.4 lbs) bring a flabbergasting amount of improved functionality and power.

my new 12" (last week!) is as good as it gets, although the heat is a bit disconcerting (and my pismo has better airport reception).
Congratulations! I have to say that after I finished installing and updating software, the heat generated by the HDD under the left palmrest went down significantly. It's now pretty close to, but not quite as cool as, my iBook. But the fan still comes on every 5 minutes or so...

i imagine the fan goes hand-in-hand with the faster drive...i have yet to hear my fan turn on.
Somebody over at the AppleNova Forums suggested that the heat and fan activity in my PB might be due to the fact that I'm still working with the paltry built-in 256MB RAM. I'm holdinging out hope that the addition of a 1GB RAM stick will reduce disk activity due to swaps/pageouts and consequently reduce heat and fan noise. <Escher crosses fingers>

still, these are great powerbooks; keyboard feels good, great ergonomics, decent screen (better than my pismo).
No regrets leaving the PowerBook 520c, Wallstreet, 2400c, and iBook behind! For my purposes, the 12-inch PowerBook is by far the best notebook available, bar none. Overall, I'm happy as a pig in ****.

until that genuine subnotebook....enjoy it!
Same to you, fisherKing! Drat, the fan just kicked back in! (I bet it's those stupid animated smilies).

Escher

Mel Dada
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 12:54 PM

escher said
It does have the dreaded uneven bottom,

escher-that would send me off the wall. i'd bring it in to apple with that problem. i'd consider that serious. just my two cents. what do you mean you could screw the legs for an even plane? are those rubber 'legs' screwable.(no pun intended)

peace

mel

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 7, 2004, 04:31 PM

Originally posted by Mel Dada:
escher-that would send me off the wall. i'd bring it in to apple with that problem. i'd consider that serious. just my two cents. what do you mean you could screw the legs for an even plane? are those rubber 'legs' screwable.(no pun intended)
Mel Dada: The legs (rubber feet) are not "screwable." I was thinking of twisting/torquing/bending the entire PowerBook. The constant tipping back and forth is indeed unnerving. But there are so many other great features in this little thing. Maybe I'll follow your more reasonable thought and bring it to the Genius Bar next time I'm near an Apple Store.

Escher

NittanyToto
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 7, 2004, 05:49 PM

My powerbook just arrived while I was home on my lunch break today. I had to drag myself back to work!!! Luckly work is over now so I am typing this post on my powerbook!!!!!

Altair
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 03:01 AM

I'm still chugging away on a Rev A 12"er (for over a year now). Right now I'm installing windows 2k in virtual pc, watching music videos and reading this thread all quite happily. Hopefully windows 2k will be faster than 98.

I love this thing and also it is my first mac. I have had to send it in once when the front panel popped out overnight due to the ungodly heat it used to have and various other little things (broken delete key...very annoying). I've had to replace the power adapter twice, once because something inside it died and once due to the cat chewing through the cable. You can guess which one wasn't covered under warrenty.

My coworker just got a new Rev C one and I'm incredibly jealous. Though it was very amusing today watching his new install of windows 2k blue screen in VPC while installing a service pack. It just seemed ironically funny.
12" PB 867 *Retired :( *
2.2 Ghz 15" Macbook Pro

TiUser
Jul 8, 2004, 05:04 AM

Escher wrote: "Mel Dada: The legs (rubber feet) are not "screwable." I was thinking of twisting/torquing/bending the entire PowerBook. The constant tipping back and forth is indeed unnerving. But there are so many other great features in this little thing. Maybe I'll follow your more reasonable thought and bring it to the Genius Bar next time I'm near an Apple Store."

When I first got my PB12" rev. C, I also had the wobble issue. Howevr, when I place the PB on another surface, it was completely level. In other words, it could be your desk rather than the computer. I have mine on top of an iCurve right now and all is well. I am planning to purchase the new ACD 20", but the continuous fan noise (from what I hear from other users) is making me think twice.

OB1
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 05:56 AM

Originally posted by TiUser:
I was thinking of twisting/torquing/bending the entire PowerBook.
Go for it. It takes a TINY amount of pressure (fingertips) to ease the case flat. I worked out which was the offending corner and laid the PB with that corner over the edge of my desk and very gently applied pressure to push it flat. The components in PB's are obviously designed for a flat case, so if you're very careful you shouldn't damage anything.... don't quote me on that

but back to the original topic - I've been a 12" PB owner since a couple of months after they came out. It's been the most enjoyable, productive computing experience I've ever had. I haven't got around to upgrading past 10.2.6 yet because it all works so nicely I've really got no complaints

A good friend of mine searched for months for a pc equivalent laptop after seeing my 12" PB. He called one day to say "I've just ordered a 12" PB, there's absolutely nothing in the pc world that can match them at all" He then called back after he got it to say "OMG OS X is amazing!"
tin pot, garden shed

jackcaliber
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 8, 2004, 08:46 AM

I used to think that the PB 12" was a dumb idea. HOW WRONG I WAS!!

Sold my tibook 550 and an ibook clamshell. Pulled some $$$ together and bought a refurb PB12" 1Ghz (I guess REV B) and I love it.

I took a chance with some PC RAM and I got 1.25 GB on it. It is small, but not too small. The screen is very sharp and it is a quick little bugger.

I will read some more postings about the wobbling. I noticed it was even worse when my laptop was open??

Hey for the price who care!!??!

Hanul
Forum Regular
Jul 8, 2004, 09:42 AM

I ordered my Rev. A 12" PB the day Steve announced it on Jan 7th, 2003. I had two iBooks (700/800) for half a year each before, but missed the SuperDrive and monitor spanning (including lid closed operation as a desktop replacement). I'm very happy with my PB for the 1,5 years I have it now. Very nice notebook, small, light, and powerful.

iREZ  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 8, 2004, 11:37 AM

I didn't have the wobble at first but I always use a self made portable stand for my powerbook wherever I go, to keep it cool and off the table top. Last week I tried using my PB for the first time with it off the stand and noticed a slight wobble on three different table tops. So I heated it up a little by running some programs, then I shut it off, slid the wobble corner over the table top, and immediately pushed down the corner off the table top. I did it very lightly and it took about three tries and now I'm wobble free. I'd suggest everyone with the wobble to at least give it a go once before sending it in, I know it saved me from two or three days without a PB.
( Last edited by iREZ; Jul 8, 2004 at 11:44 AM. )
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

escher
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 8, 2004, 12:22 PM

Originally posted by TiUser:
When I first got my PB12" rev. C, I also had the wobble issue. Howevr, when I place the PB on another surface, it was completely level. In other words, it could be your desk rather than the computer.
TiUser: I like your diligent and careful thought process. I'll make sure to set my PowerBook on other flat surface to make sure it's not my desk that is not flat. However, I am near certain that it's the PB and not my desk.

Originally posted by iREZ:
I'd suggest everyone with the wobble to at least give it a go once before sending it in, I know it saved me from two or three days without a PB.
Go for it. It takes a TINY amount of pressure (fingertips) to ease the case flat. I worked out which was the offending corner and laid the PB with that corner over the edge of my desk and very gently applied pressure to push it flat.
iREZ and OB1: Thanks for the additional feedback on "bending the PowerBook flat." I'll give it a try in the next few days. I have set up the PowerBook in clamshell mode with my external DVI LCD and Apple Wireless (BT) Keyboard and Mouse, so the wobble is less of an issue right now.

[My good friend] then called back after he got it to say "OMG OS X is amazing!"
In going from my iBook G3/500 to the Rev.C 12-inch PowerBook I also went from 10.2 Jaguar to 10.3 Panther. I have to say that this new(er) version of OS X brought along many improvements. I'm glad I didn't buy Panther because it came included with the 12-inch. But boy am I glad to work in Panther now, even though it was released last year! Mac OS X kicks so much more butt than the Classic Mac OS, not to mention Windows.

Escher

Jawbreaker
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 11, 2004, 08:41 PM

I got my 867mhz 12" with SuperDrive pretty much right after they were announced. I was upgrading from an iBook G3/500, and I have loved almost every moment with the new laptop.

Except for the fan noise. I've used quieter hair dryers in my time. My Powerbook gives some minitowers a run for their money on fan noise. Worse still, now that the fan runs almost all day long, I'm fairly sure it's starting to die - it sounds as though it's chewing on something or chopping up leaves.

Aside from all that, this has been the best computer I've ever owned.

TheJoshu
Mac Elite
Jul 12, 2004, 09:49 AM

I've got a Rev. A 12" that I bought in August... I needed a computer immediately, otherwise I would've waited a month and purchased the 15". A year later, I still love it, it's a beautiful beast, but this week I am going to upgrade, most likely to a new 17". This was my first laptop and one thing I learned is that I don't need ultra-portability: it stays in one place 75% of the time. That other 25% is golden and I'd die without it, but it doesn't require my sacrifice of screen real estate. Today I'm going to Tekserve to play with the 17 and make sure it's not too big... but I think it's the way to go. Plus, the 12" will stay in the family, going to my dad (who will be upgrading from a 500MHz Dual USB iBook), so that'll be nice.

Ann
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 12, 2004, 11:16 AM

Question/Comment for 12" Powerbook users, I've had my PB for over a month now. When I first got it, I never noticed the fan come on when its temp started to rise. It was nice and quiet. Now, I hear it when it comes on, nothing extremely loud but louder than before. Does anyone know what might be the cause for the increase in fan noise? Sorry if this is a stupid question.
Powerbook G4 12" 1.33GHz
768MB/60GB/Superdrive

Forum Links
Forum Rules